Posted: Feb 17th 2010 9:00PM (Unverified) said

Urggh - WAR is like one of those bill/sticker boards that has layers and layers of bills posted on them.
Someone needs to come along and rip that lump of ragged paper off, and start again with a fresh clean board.

Seriously, WAR needs to get an award for the most surgically operated upon MMO. There's nothing left but a mutated bastard child of an idea implemented badly and hacked to pieces in all manner of ways ever since.

It just needs to die with what little dignity remains, for everyone's sake..

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 9:20PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
incoming fanboy nerd rage

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 9:42PM (Unverified) said

I played it briefly via a friends account back when it first came out and it was absolutely horrendous. About a month ago, I found a collector's edition for $9.99 and bought it to see where the game is at.

It has gotten better. But, let's just say I did not sub. It is missing some mandatory things that define good MMOs. The lack of different armors looks is not made up for by being able to dye items. With that being one example, the game just feels sloppy.

I will say this, though. Some of the classes are downright fun but the rest of the game doesn't make me want to pay money to play.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 4:40AM (Unverified) said

It does seem like a lost cause of a MMO. Anything short of a miracle overhaul starting at the most basic level (a new engine, or MASSIVE refinements and improvements to it) will save this game. Everything, from public quest to RvR lake to the importance of scenarios, was predicated upon the assumption that it would have a large and active playerbase. Unfortunately, even the system and processes themselves were poorly designed for this intent - not to mention being hampered by long running imbalances and a developer that ignored its customers.

Its hardly been a year. One single year. And the game has changed in all the wrong ways, from the perspective of a casual MMO gamer, to the original target of PvP enthusiasts, to even the random gamer looking for a short term filler for their MMO itch.

I hate to agree, because the outcome is that a lot of people will lose their jobs, but this is one MMO that needs to be put out to pasture.

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 9:42PM (Unverified) said

So it's a bad thing that they are adding stuff that the players want now?

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 11:04PM (Unverified) said

@Hiravaxis

Your "now" is the keyword here. It's too much, too little, too late. Besides, I doubt it would really help anything.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 12:31AM (Unverified) said

That's all it ever is with you types.
Either they don't know what they are doing and just flailing around or they do something right but it's "too late".
Too late for you maybe.
Too late to be the wow-killer you wanted.
Too late to meet the deliriously high expectations that you had at release.

But I'll tell you this: It`s still going my friend. And it`ll keep going thanks to updates like this.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 1:23AM (Unverified) said

What do you think Tabular Rasa was like before it died?

Yeah, it was "going" too just like this game, my friend.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 2:33AM (Unverified) said

WAR has lost "critical mass" which is crucial for frequent, fun and meaningful RvR. The T1 Empire vs Chaos scenarios and RvR "lake" are great fun, due to the endless free trial, but not meaningful.

The "too little, too late" reputation would not be so bad for a pure PvE game that supported soloing all the way to max-level but for a game designed around RvR the train has already left the station.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 4:00AM (Unverified) said

Great stuff, keep it going Mythic.

(Oh, and I'm sorry; just because I like the game, and I'm not a doomsayer moron, I'm not a fanboi neither.)

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 4:30AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
You so are.

Trust me, it shows.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 4:36AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
No, I am not, sorry. You can trust me, my little troll friend :) (We can keep this going if you want, it's gonna be a really "interesting" discussion for sure...)

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 5:03AM Khannington said

Great stuff, some good additions coming to WAR. Really liking the changes made in the last year. Would love to see an expansion announced this year.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 6:01AM Dandmcd said

Haha, the only one who will be getting an expansion will be Bioware when EA finally pulls the plug on WAR and sends the final few Mythic dev's over to Bioware to help finish The Old Republic. You can't make an expansion with a barebones team, it takes them months to even make this current scenario change patch which adds no content.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 7:05AM (Unverified) said

Tell me doomsayers/ trolls and other funny species; why make you so satisfied bashing a game? (*Any* game; scanning through some of your posts here, it is more than obvious that most of you do this with actually *every* single game, so it really seems to be your everyday habit :) ) I'm really curious about it, honestly, it's (almost) fantastic.

Only for the epeen because you can *really* haz an oppinon :) ?
Or if a game you bashed "finally" dies makes you feel better?
Or are you so burnt-out and nothing else left to do?

To be honest, I don't expect any answer, but it's amazing, anyway :)

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 7:51AM Itanius said

(Don't feed the trolls!)

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:55AM (Unverified) said

there is one thing people want above anything else in this world - to be right. People fight to the death just to be right.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 7:10AM (Unverified) said

I played WAR at launch for about a month (payed for three months) but lost interest due to client stability issues on my computer and WotLK. Some of my characters have been merged five(?) times. I just bought another copy from Amazon.com for $7.02 because it was $7.02. I still would like to see the game survive and maybe I'll resubscribe if I see things improving.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 7:54AM Itanius said

I played WAR for a few months after release (and was in the beta for a year), but the MMO junkie in me is interested to see where it's at now. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 7:56AM MtthwRddl said

It is sad to see how players react to games now.

If they are playing the game, they are constantly posting any negative aspects of the game and demanding they be fixed or they will unsubscribe. They rarely post about the good aspects of the game and rarely thanks the developers for creating a fun game.

They are always demanding membership numbers so that they can cry doom and gloom if they are too low. Because it is important for them to escape the sinking ship, even if the ship does not have any holes or signs of sinking.

When they choose to stop playing the game, they continue to track the game posting the same negative comments about it, in the process dampening the fun of anyone else still playing the game. If they didn't have fun playing the game, why should anyone else?

Players don't just play, and then leave respectfully if they don't enjoy the game. They have this urge to let the world know how bad the game is (in their opinion - often stated as fact) and how little life the game has until it will be closed down. They track the game until it finally closes just so that they can prove they were right.

I enjoy aspects of WAR and I am enjoying the Unlimited Free Trial, and I think Mythic could add micro-transactions to the game to make the UFT even better. I hope that UFT members can access these new weapons.