Posted: Feb 17th 2010 12:27PM vaga said

I've seen it mentioned in several places about pre-ordering Going Rogue. I can not locate a place to pre-order and whenever I google Going Rogue I get a certain persons book (Can you see Russia from Paragon City?)

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 1:49PM (Unverified) said

pre-order is not ready yet they said something about news being soon, as for I17/GR i dont know im 50%/50% hate/love mainly it seems that not sense I12 was the only time when we had a lot of story added.

It dont really help that im a 5 year vet to the game, so it hard for me to get exsighted. sure we get new AT but same story, we are getting new stories since i12 they have had a rep for making a tf or 2 missions and that it.

so i will wait and see but i agree with Eliot Lefebvre while it looks good only time will tell

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 1:13PM ployer said

SNL Shawn Connery FTW!

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 1:51PM Zach Adams said

More than any other graphical enhancement, I want to see more 2004 costume pieces brought up to 2010 standards. You look at the Wedding Pack stuff, and then the rest of the female with-skin pieces, and the latter 'painted on' stuff just becomes unusable for me. Same with the various metallic parts from 2004 when compared to Arachnos armor or Valkyrie parts. A new lighting system is okay, I guess, but we need more reflective costume pieces for it to sparkle off more than that.

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 3:55PM (Unverified) said

I think the biggest problem with this is that Paragon Studios doesn't want to mess with costumes on existing characters one iota. Even when they change or remove costume elements (or sometimes, make a mistake with one!) they don't alter the costume on a hero as it is.

If they started changing model polygons or costume piece resolutions, you'd have a bunch of costumes that change on players, and a lot of players that will get upset. Sure, the old faces look crappy. But if you've played a character for 6 years, you might be sentimentally attached to that face.

Paragon Studios seems to be going the route of just piling on more and more options, to bury the old junk under the new hotness. For the most part, I think this plan is working.

I agree though, the old stuff looks pretty dated.

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 4:02PM Cinnamoon said

Lemmo's probably right. The design team has been applying the "cottage rule" to more than just powersets; here, to costume pieces. "Burying the old junk under new hotness" is a great way to describe their seeming methodology. I know I sure switched all my characters' faces last year when they added new ones!

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 5:52PM (Unverified) said

Lemmo is definitely right. I clearly remember the nerd rage on the forums when they changed a bunch of the hairstyles to new, more detailed versions. People liked their old low-fi hair because they were used to it.

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 6:29PM Zach Adams said

I can understand that perspective, but the Wedding Pack items didn't replace anything; they were in addition to the 2004 versions. I realize that was paid DLC, the very existence of which is a controversial issue in CoH and many other games, but it didn't really bother me as long as you're getting a number of items commensurate with the price you're paying and the quality is there. I would totally pay $5-10 for a half dozen more redone female-skin sets or new versions of the Metallic and various armored sets.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014