Posted: Feb 16th 2010 12:21PM jealouspirate said

I was in one of the closed betas and really liked it. Now I'm looking forward to patching up and playing. Gibberling Animist all the way!

Not only is the game fun and charming in its own right, but I love that it's free to play. I already subscribe to one MMO, so between that and 'real-life' commitments I don't have much time to dedicate to a new MMO. It's fantastic to know that Allods will just be there whenever I want it to be, without feeling like I have to play a certain amount per month to justify my subscription.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 12:30PM (Unverified) said

Stuck at work, but I'm eager to get home and try it out. The WoW-ish graphics put me off at first, but on a second glance it's a little less exaggerated and the men don't look like steroid-abusing apes.

Anyone have much experience with the Warden class? I'm going to try that first.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

I think I'm gonna give this a try, especially since it is free to play. It got my interest a while back but haven't given it a shot yet, but now I'm downloading it to give it a whirl.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 12:55PM Wensbane said

You may want to read about the recently added "Fear of Death Mechanic" before starting that download...

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 1:20PM (Unverified) said

If the mechanic causes as many problems as so many expect it will no doubt be deleted, changed/fixed, or completely redesigned... it is still beta afterall.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 1:27PM Halldorr said

Whats this about fear of death mechanic talk? ;)

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 1:41PM Wensbane said

Oh no! The "IT'S BETA" squad has moved from STO to Allods. The quest continues!

Kidding... ;)

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 1:50PM (Unverified) said

I saw "Fear of Death". It sounds exactly like WoW's "Ressurection Sickness".

What's the big problem again?

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:06PM (Unverified) said

Fear of Death is a debuff that lowers your stats for 25% for varying times (dependent upon your level) after resurrection. The higher your level, the longer the debuff.
At higher levels this time is about 40-50 minutes.
The debuff also stacks and can only be removed by perfume (Cash Shop item) or by paying large sum of game currency to an NPC near the resurrection point.

The official line is:

"As a subscription-less game, we expect to make money in the cash shop. We also care deeply about the integrity of the game and how specific game mechanics will affect the use of the cash shop. When we decide to introduce a game mechanic like Fear of Death, we don’t expect all of our users to be in agreement, but we do hope that the detractors will stay open-minded, patient, and show some faith with the game design decisions that Astrum Nival makes. It’s important for us to let our players know that Astrum Nival does extensive research and tests when determining how to integrate new game mechanics—especially those which tie directly into the cash shop."

On the Russian server, 'end game' L40's simply aren't around anymore due mainly to how this mechanic affects PVP ('pay to play/win' effectively), let alone the complete absence of content at that level.

It's really sad as there was much hope for the game.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:34PM (Unverified) said

@Amana: Does this count if a player ressurects you? Because with a game that has dungeons, that would be pretty bad indeed.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 3:53PM Gaugamela said

Amana your post is misleading.
The Perfume applies a buff that lasts 30 minutes and persists through death. Therefore, if you have a perfume you don't need to worry about your death for 30 minutes.

Also, it exists a daily quest that gives you a perfume as quest reward and the Perfume can be put on sale in the Auction House. So you can acquire it with in-game gold.

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 4:08AM (Unverified) said

@Kirin:
No, if you get a res from a Mage or Healer, there's no FoD. So, for dungeon/group runs, it's ok.
The FoD uproar is mainly how it relates to PVP, plus you'll get it if you die soloing in PvE.

@Pedro:
None of my post is misleading. Yes, perfume lasts 30mins - it's extremely annoying and short given the price paid.
Yes, you can buy them on the AH (for exorbitant and outrageous prices) for said 30mins protection.
Yes, you can do the daily, but it's a grind.

The point is, Pedro, whether you or I agree with it or not, it emptied the server of high-level players and halted PvP outright.
Rather than have to bother with the hassle and cost of debuffing FOD, most players just log.
The few that *are* willing to fork out the time, effort, or cash, are also left in a bind because there's basically nobody around to PvP *with*.

In fact I witnessed an incredible incident near the end of the last CB where a player was so desperate for PvP competition he was advertising that he'd *pay* people to come and PvP with him... good lord.

When a mechanic in any game has the result of making the majority of players bypass it or not engage with it (let alone logging out), or when it limits the PvP to '30 min bursts', it can't be good.

I'm still utterly gobsmacked that, after so many other facets of this game being so great, it's a Cash Chop-related mechanic that becomes Allod's Achilles's Heel.

God only knows why Astrum Nival haven't simply made the game a sub model. So many players have made it clear they would rather eliminate the constant (im)balancing and general messiness required with a cash shop and stump up $15/month for a clean and clear game without the crap.

For me, it just meant an uninstall, despite loving the game initially.

Posted: Feb 17th 2010 6:53AM Gaugamela said

Amana, i understand perfectly your PoV. It is much closer to mine than you might think. I am going to give the game a shot and see how much i need to fork over to play this game in a monthly basis.

If the amount of cash i need to spend hovers around the 15$/month this mechanic won't bother me as much. If i need to spend more than that then i'll leave the game.

But i agree with you, this game is a precious gem and this FoD mechanic spoiled it for a lot of people. It had a number of features and mechanics polished well enough that are sorely lacking in most other games as a meaningful crafting system, decent PvP, great chaaracter costumization through talents/rubies/stats and a rather unique selling point: the Astral ship PvP.
I would have also prefered to have paid 15$ flat per month to have access to the game and it is a shame that Astrum Nival doesn't gives that option.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 12:57PM Scuffles said

Shhhhhhhh!

Its going to be bad enough without you telling everyone =P

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 1:53PM Dumac said

I'm not downloading until they either change or remove Fear of death.

They announced on the European forums that fear of death will not be changed in the "short term". The GM also said they were aware of the feedback, which makes this decision odd since feedback was universally negative.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:02PM Nukem said

OMG... Not the Beta Squad. I blew like $50 on STO and still pissed about it. Gonna give allods a try. But if Allods is run by the "It's Beta" squad then I'm gone.. LOL

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:03PM MewmewGrrl said

The Allods website is overwhelmed right now and is having a very hard time loading anything, so it's tough to read up on the mechanic. Why don't you guys just tell us what it is here!

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:09PM (Unverified) said

Scroll up =)

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:09PM Tom L said

• 1 heart
Oh noes, the FoD spammers are out in force trying to destroy people's enthusiasm for a game before they even play it.

FoD is like being Rez Sick in WoW, it just lasts longer at high levels (up to 30 minutes) but can be bought off with in-game gold (no different than repair costs in PvE) or avoided by visiting the cash shop.

The amount of angst for this has gone beyond retarded and into 'plaid!'

Ta,

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:37PM Wensbane said

Without even playing it, eh? Well, let's just say that Massively has a very nice habit of handing out free keys to certain closed betas.

Maybe I got one and rolled a Kanian Ranger called Wensbane.

Maybe I had to endure that awful arrow enchantment system, until I finally managed to invest some points in Fletching. All the while complaining about such crippling design decisions.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, I didn't even bother with the game AT ALL, and decided to complain about it for no good reason... WHO KNOWS?!

Look, I'll tell you what, here is a link to the official feedback thread about FoD:

If you can find me THREE positive comments somewhere in there - shouldn't be too hard, right? It's up to 6 pages! - I will never mention this issue again. Fair enough?

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays