Posted: Feb 15th 2010 8:08AM (Unverified) said

I'm always switching around for fear of just this happening. I know I can be entertained elsewhere. I get the most pleasure from the beginning levels in most games. End game is important, but most MMO's have done a good job of making the first 10-20 levels a highpoint of the game. Aion, AoC, Champions Online, WAR, and others all kick butt in the beginning levels as an example, IMO.

I do have one old stand by that I love to regularly return to. EQ2.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 8:28AM nevin said

So weird that you should choose a picture of AC2 as I was reminiscing about this 2 days ago (specifically if I could find the specific lute tune you could play (I couldn't)).
Slightly related, but I found out during my searching that there is a project to try and get AC2 back to life in an unofficial way. Hope it happens!

Unfortunately I have been active in several games that have been shut down and it's very painful as you invest so much time and effort into it. I either go to the next big thing or if it happens now, I dip into EQ2 until something piques my fancy.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 8:30AM (Unverified) said

Yes I would play something else. SWG (Pre/Pre) was the last MMO that I really felt an attachment to, when the NGE went live it was pretty much the same feeling as if they shut it down for me. I went to WoW after that but I never really got the same feeling again. I have been bouncing around games for years now trying to scratch that itch.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 8:30AM dudemanjac said

Since I'm currently splitting time between ME2 and STO, answers easy for me.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 8:42AM (Unverified) said

I play a lot of Guild Wars and EVE Online. If the servers of either would stop, I'd just play the other a lot more. But if both were to end simultaneously, I'd probably first take a long break before trying another MMO. WoW has long been a standby MMO for me. I have never gotten past lvl 40, but I intend to make it to the level cap with at least one character in WoW sometime, just to see if the endgame content is worth the long grind.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 8:53AM Psychotic Storm said

When TR sang its swan song I joined EVE kind of the antipodes of TR but it is sci fi, love the world, background and design, not sure I am 100% fitting in the player base, probably need to grow thicker skin, but it is enjoyable.

I also joined CO, its a nice game especially in the regard that allows you to play almost anything you can fantasise both visually and gameplay wise, I am not particularly found of the superhero theme though, so I am not totally immersed there, finally I joined GA its nice and fast paced the sci fi look is great and hopefully it will shape great.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 9:55AM (Unverified) said

EQ1 and EQ2 have served me for over 10 yrs ... Ive tried others but always end up right back there ... I do feel for the folks that get invested in a game only to have it end tho :(

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 9:53AM (Unverified) said

You know what? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Ac2 was / is my favorite MMO to this day and the hardest part is not being able to go back to it.

...for all of you with a favorite MMO, I recommend re-visiting it at least once before it gets shut down and do the things that you always wanted to (even if the game has changed).

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 10:43AM Holgranth said

Fallen Earth would top my list, I really liked it but coulden't justify a second sub. If I got bored of or had to quit that I'd probably check out EVE, and then thing about getting either Darkfall or Mortal Online if either of them gets their act together.

If none of the above panned out I'd just hit battlenet and hone my RTS skills untill somthing good came out.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 11:10AM (Unverified) said

I now have STO as my fall back MMO thanks to a lifetime subscription (thanks to my wife). Previously I'd fall back to the good ole Xbox 360, filling out achievements and such.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 11:50AM (Unverified) said

I generally play two MMOs concurrently, so if one went belly-up, I'd just play the other until I decided on a game to replace the dead game, if I decided to do that it all. It's practically a non-issue, though one of the games I'm playing now is City of Heroes, and seeing as how I've played it for over five years, I would be very displeased if it were to shut down. I'd still just play my other game and start looking for something to replace CoH.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 12:54PM Averice said

@Ricotez leveling in WoW has never been faster than right now. It's seriously a complete joke compared to what it was when it first launched. I can see how it would still be daunting if it's your first time through though.

@Shideh hopefully your STO is still around in 2 years. Any game that offers a life time subscription is pretty much asking not to last as long as it cost imo.

I dropped WoW for AoC b/c my gf convinced me it was going to be hot, it wasn't and I missed out on the pink protodrake b/c of it from holidays : ( Ever since I lost the opportunity for that mount I kind of lost interest in WoW. It was the last straw I guess. I then quit WoW again for Aion, which she also said was going to be great... notice a trend here... and I enjoyed it, played it longer than she did, but still not more than 2 months. I was also writing articles for a gaming site at the time, and just got burned out with the "forced" playing.

But yeah, WoW has always been my "backup". Right now I don't play any MMO's, though I still love reading about them and the industry, but if I ever do decide to go back, WoW will most likely be near the top. Cata honestly looks incredibly tempting to me. But so does FF14 and honestly. SWO:OR looks... terrible. Though I love DA:O and ME1-2.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 2:39PM Saylah said

That picture stopped me in my tracks. I had to look at it three times. I was like, "Isn't that AC2???" That's the game I'd like to go back to in between other games. I'm sure a part of it is nostalgic thinking but it remains my first MMO love.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 4:18PM (Unverified) said

I get pissed and move on. I get a little less excited about my gaming experience each time it happens.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 5:40PM Graill440 said

Nothing, its entertainment. The sooner people begin to realize this the better the games will get. With companies banking on the need by players to hang on to their avatars, developers will continue to produce the same lame crap that is currently out today.

Needy, weak minded persons equal subs for poorly made games, plenty of examples out there today.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 6:05PM Evy said

I'd ask my guildmates where they're going next. They are the reason I've played WoW for five years. I love those guys.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 6:09PM (Unverified) said

I've actually ditched playing WoW, EVE, DDO, and decided not to get a subscription to STO, all over the course of the last 3 months...I've hit that point where I'm fed up with the grinding...so instead I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins....it's a nice bit of escapism, and if I stay logged into MSN/Skype I can chat to my mates whilst I play...so not bad really :)

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 9:41PM (Unverified) said

Currently I have 3 MMO's I visit - 2 of which are just back ups and if I get a little bored of WoW, which is my main MMO I hang out in.

The other 2 are STO and EvE Online.

I have tried Champions Online, WAR and AoC but did not interest me as much as these ones do because either their visuals just didnt appeal to me or the storyline/gameplay needed more work.

So I think I am pretty covered when it comes to the inevitible. The likelihood ALL the MMO's I play would belly up are quite slim. It is a possibility that one of them would, but either way, I dont mind switching to the other as I love all 3 of them.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 11:44AM (Unverified) said

An even bigger danger is that the MMO you cut your teeth on NEVER goes away. My first was Darkages by Nexon, it's a pale shadow of its former glory, but it's still around. Unfortunately thats enough to keep a few friends and I reopening our accounts a couple times a year.

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 12:34PM (Unverified) said

This happened to VMK a while back, and pretty much crushed everyone who played regularly. I'm STILL searching for a game that can even come close to what VMK once was, but i haven't been successful thus far. I'm still in contact with some of my VMK friends through a forum website, other games, etc. but it will still never be the same.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM