Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:51PM yeppers said

"One thing that unfortunately has not been mentioned too much in reviews so far since launch of Star Trek Online is the main storyline, which can be compared to perhaps LotROs epic storyline (difficulty aside)."

Maybe it hasn't been mentioned because STO's episode storyline is nothing like LotRO's epic storyline. Though it is what a lot of STO's initial fans were hoping for. As always, STO has a lot of potential; however, Cryptic will need to do an about-face in many business practices in order to accomplish that potential.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 5:54PM Tom in VA said

"Maybe it hasn't been mentioned because STO's episode storyline is nothing like LotRO's epic storyline."

Here's the thing. If the STO storyline can be accomplished WITHOUT reliance on "LFG fail mode", then I'd say the STO storyline trumps LotRO's any day of the week, for the sole reason that LotRO's epic storyline, while clever and entertaining, is a total pain in the butt if you are actually trying to find people to help you finish the group parts. It's the main reason I left LotRO, never to return.

I am really done with any game that REQUIRES multiplayer interaction in order to progress in the main storyline; I like my multiplayer to be *optional*: side dishes with multiplayer areas, quests, and PvP areas. Make it the main course by welding the main storyline to multiplayer-only content and I want no part of it.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:51PM davidarmstrong488 said

A lot of my Captain's Logs devolve into bad-mouthing the stupid and pathetic alien races my ship has to defend. Aw... Orion camping your supply route? TOO BAD BWA HA HA.

As far as missions go, my favorite would have to be the combined space-and-ground fleet battles in the Laurentian System.

I characterized them in my logs as a 3 day campaign waged by Admiral Whoever to retake this system from a Klingon vanguard. First we had to secure orbit of the planet in space, and then the ships involved beamed down Security forces to take control of the surface.

My ship, the Pathfinder, received special commendation for giving 100 servicemen to the cause. So there you go!

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 4:57PM distiler said

That particular storyline (Miral Paris, augments, travel back in time, etc.) is the most awesome serie of quests I've ever played in a mmo, not because special gameplay mechanics but because the plot. The only drawback is, you really need to have seen many of the series to apprecitate and understand it.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 4:19PM Deryk said

Nice screenshot!

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 5:29PM roberticvs said

Epic storylines are well and good, but I wish Cryptic had designed a game that looked a little better than Grand Theft Auto. For example, that screenshot looks great, but it doesn't portray the claustrophobic feel of the game, the omnipresent icons, etc.

I think a friend of mine put it best: "Some of the good stuff of Eve Online, with all of the bad stuff of City of Heroes."

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 6:07PM mko said

For a moment I thought it was Stargate Worlds.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 7:39PM GaaaaaH said

Make it spin.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 7:44PM mko said

Sir, It doesn't spin

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 12:06AM Graill440 said

Storyline? were you paid to type that, you had to be. there is no storyline, there is no lore, none whatsoever. Basing an incomplete game on one movie doesnt imply lore, or give it any storyline, it simply allows the garbage STO is.

There are a few instances, with a few seconds of nimoy speaking, that is all, in a very, very unfinished game that hooked a few unfortunate folks with hype and lifetimesubs. Maybe they learned something.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 3:10AM (Unverified) said

I have to say when i played the BETA I wasn't that impressed with the missions and storyline... but it appears I didn't get far enough to get into the nitty gritty. Now I'm inot those missions the main story missions are actually very enjoyable. Sure the actual gameplay is a little tedious (this is an MMO, after all), but the plot is cool, very Star Trek.

Hopefully it will continue and not peter out halfway through, incomplete, like some other things in the game.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 5:10AM Graill440 said

get ready to meet Peter.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 12:05PM dudemanjac said

When you finish the mission and come back through the portal don't be like me and click on the portal again. It will make you go all the way back to the point where you first went in and you won't be able to turn the mission in unless you finish it again. Unfortunatley for me, no one on my team had gotten the idea to click it again, so I was pretty much on my own the second time around.

Oopsie!

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 12:24PM Arkanaloth said

that mission was indeed epic.. but if you never saw TOS where Kirk encounters the planet for the first time the feeling would be completely lost.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014