Posted: Feb 14th 2010 12:08PM Pingles said

I signed up a bit late-in-the-game to the beta and found that to test the end-game content everyone was automatically set to level 60.

Being brand new I want to learn the world from level 1 up so I am hoping this closed-beta-reboot drops everyone back to their original level.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 12:46PM dudes said

• 1 heart
So, game sucked?

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 1:24PM Enaris said

I see no real reason to jump to that assumption.

I haven't really looked at this game, and wasn't planning on, but to me, it looks like the Closed Beta is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It brought forward issues with the game that can be addressed. Be they localization, or programming or whatever.

Frankly, I'd like to see more games do this. How many games in the last two years have gone out "half-cooked"? Of course, any given MMO is always evolving, but for a company to say "we're not putting this on the market till it hits this standard" is good practice.

To say "oh, the game must have been bad" is to discourage a company from trying to do things right.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:31PM dudes said

I pity the Foo! (couldn't resist, sorry)

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 3:11PM MewmewGrrl said

Whether you've heard it or not, this game was the EXACT same game as Wulin2, which has already been translated to English as Q-World. The only thing different was the text in the game, both the NPC names and the quest text (which most skip through anyway), those were the only changes to make it into what they felt was a great wonderful parody. Maybe the text change was enough for some people, but I think that they realized the game needs more original changes and not just simply changing text and leaving the rest of the game the same as another already out there. They feel that they need to work to change more before they move on, and that's actually a good thing in the long run. Hopefully they change a lot more of the game with this downtime than just the text of an existing game... I like what they did with Ether Saga, and I don't dislike them as a company, I'm not trying to bash them, it's just the game simply was a re-texted Q-World and that just wasn't enough. It needed more work, more changes. Now they listened and are going to do that, so I say wonderful! And thank you PWE!

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:43PM Pingles said

I have heard folks say this game is very similar to several other Perfect World MMOs with the main difference being the storyline, which is supposedly very rich, clever and funny.

To be honest, that is the main reason I wanted to try it (and why I am waiting until I can start at level one). I think I am ready for a "traditional" MMO with clever writing.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 5:04PM breezer said

Exactly. PWI is such a weird company.

Perfect World, Ether Saga and Kung Foo! are all so similar it makes me scratch my head why they keep pumping out more of the same instead of focusing on and improving what they have.

Perfect World had a lot of potential and was fairly impressive when it was released. Now it's just another mediocre FTP asian MMO.

So I suppose them taking more time with Kung Foo! shows that they at least care about the quality of their products. Unlike some western studios that come to mind. Cryptic.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:48PM D4rth I4n said

It's good to see a developer who is willing to take what they've learned in Beta and actually admit that "no, we're not ready yet." It's a breath of fresh air compared to a certain other developer who pushed through the beta phases and then released with the same stupid bugs and issues.

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM