Posted: Feb 14th 2010 10:55AM J Brad Hicks said

I follow the MMO industry news out of curiosity. I'm especially interested in any MMO that isn't some kind of a ripoff of D&D or of one of D&D's generic dark-ages fantasy inspirations. I'm a huge Lovecraft otaku. This game ought to be right up my alley ...

But it's taking me constant effort of will to care about it even slightly, because as an old Anarchy Online veteran, I feel about Funcom and its "customer service" mentality ("The Customer Is Always Wrong. And The Sooner We Get This Across To Him, The Less Time We Have To Waste Listening.") the way the rest of the internet jihadis feel about Bill Roper and Jack Emmert.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:43PM Ivasen said

I have to agree with you on Funcom's customer service, it seems that Twitter is the only means of communication that doesn't get an automated response from someone in a cubicle somewhere.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 11:10AM Daverator said

• Half a heart
Wait, someone is actually named "Ragnar Tornquist" ?

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 11:35AM Pingles said

• Half a heart
He's a cousin of Ugnof Toestubber.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 11:42AM MrGutts said

• 1 heart
Looks like they are going for that high end look like AoC and kicking everyone else to the curb who has last years computers.

Funcom doesn't seem learn anything.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 12:15PM (Unverified) said

AoC has been out nearly 2 years now. When you say last years computers I think you actually mean 3-4 year old machines.

By the time this comes out a two year old machine will run it.

You can not have great graphics and a shit pc. AoC runs fine on older machines as well. It just not look so nice, still looks nice though.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 12:29PM (Unverified) said

Funcom massively overhauled the AoC client's performance since launch. When I got 6 fps at launch I now get about 20 with the same machine and the game is playable

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 7:28PM (Unverified) said

I know these days are rough for alot of people to spend money but it actually isn't that expensice to get a really nice computer these days.

Also, if that really is the case that they are going for the high end graphics look then I'm all for it because it seems whenever a game gets mainstreamed it gets dumbed down until its literally like playing pacman with 1980 graphics so everyone can play.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:14PM CCon99 said

AoC's "high end" look runs a lot smoother than CO and STO do with their 5 year old gumby graphics and unoptimized code that makes many people's video card think it's running HD graphics, even when they're just looking at the login screen.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 7:45PM (Unverified) said

I hate this type of mentality that holds us back.
I have an excellent computer. I keep my stuff on the cutting if not bleeding edge. I can handle an intense challenge.
Update your crappy comp and stop expecting the rest of us to put tech advances on hold just because you'd rather spend your money elsewhere.
Why should we be penalized because you want to play a game without doing anything to be able to handle it?
Old Computer 4+ years should = No game for you. Update your junk and stop feeling entitled to things you cant handle.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 11:42AM Neurasthenic said

Ragnar gave us The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, so I'm automatically interested in anything he's involved in.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:21PM (Unverified) said

That's basically how I feel as well. I'm a Ragnar fanboi and I don't care who knows it.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 12:39PM Renko said

After the AoC mess this is definitely a "wait six months before trying" game.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 12:52PM (Unverified) said

I do not see the need to wait 6 months.

I am sure the forums and websites will be floaded with rage if they screw this up.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 8:18PM karnisov said

sort of a good rule for any mmo.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 1:38PM (Unverified) said

This is probably my most anticipated MMO right now, yes, even more than Star Wars TOR.

Once again Funcom has gone outside the box and brought something new to the genre. Their history may not reflect the greatest launches, but they have made some of the best games in the industry.

The lore, and setting for The Secret World are fascinating and I can't wait to play the first (major) occult/horror MMO.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:31PM Cirocco said

• 1 heart
Wait...wait...the last time someone said their most anticipated game was arriving...it was AoC. Look at it now, struggling to regain respect and subscribers. Yeah, deja vu is a biatch, but I'm hoping that this time the Secret World team waits until they get everything right before releasing....bad press and word of mouth don't feed the kids.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 10:19PM Cirocco said

• 1 heart
Sensitive much? Or is that just nerd rage? Grow a pair, please. I've enjoyed the Longest Journey, and I like the occult-ish slant of the Secret World, the concept falling in line with the World of Darkness and Cthulhu Mythos and everything in between. But I'm not quick to bite its hype just yet. I'll just wait and see what the team presents and judge when the product finally leaves the gate.

Posted: Feb 15th 2010 7:05AM (Unverified) said

You make a total bullshit comment and then do not like being called on it. As for nerd rage - check your own comment.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 2:53PM Liltawen said

Egypt?-that's new.
Whole thing sounds a lot like the Stephen King story 'Crouch End'

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014