Posted: Feb 10th 2010 11:12AM (Unverified) said

I found this part of the report interesting:

"EA's online games subscribers totaled 1.9 million in the quarter - this includes Pogo, as well as massively multiplayer online (MMO) subscribers."

If the previous statement is 'true' ("EA's Pogo(TM) is the #1 online game site worldwide measured by user engagement.") then I wonder how many subs that leaves to be counted for WAR.

I wonder if EA has ever heard of Kongregate or Newgrounds..

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 11:19AM ultimateq said

July/August/September? SWEEEET

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 12:58PM (Unverified) said

Question:

Is this "Q3 release date" being inferred based on Weblog's fiscal year or is this in fact based off EA's actual fiscal year?

Companies have different fiscal calendars and therefore not all have the same start dates.

So, "Q3 release date" is relative without knowing the EA's fiscal calendar.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 1:20PM (Unverified) said

Most companies have a financial year of April to April.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 1:27PM (Unverified) said

I do not think it would be accurate to say "most". "Many", sure.

Posted: Feb 11th 2010 4:51AM (Unverified) said

EA runs April to March. It is on their investor details.

Most is the more accurate term. Only in a few countries is it the standard not to.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

EA stocks continue to slide (from over $50 to hovering around $16 a share).

The only hope for the company is the fact that they own Bioware which is the one production study out there that really focuses on quality. They need to work on more creative ways to build revenue. Dragon Age was a perfect chance. They should of took the extra time to allow for a toolset and player run servers (like NWN) - and charge monthly fees for the online content (servers).

On a side note, the Federal government really needs to step in and mandate that publicly traded companys need to publish the number of paying subscribers an MMO has. The smoke and mirrors has become tiresome.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 9:20PM wjowski said

EA would have to be more insane than usual if they think they'll be able to charge a monthly fee to access content that *they didn't create*.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 4:17PM remover said

I was duped again!
Everything including their website said it was coming out next month.

/sad

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 4:33PM (Unverified) said

RTW has never said when APB would actually hit the shelves...only that they planned an Open beta in March with a possible June/July shelf date... :).

Retailers have listed it for March but this is entire guess work, probably based on the open beta but has no real basis in fact.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 10:55PM alucard3000 said

you must not pay attemtion to their podcasts they said early spring 2010 and on the APB websites faq sheet there is a question as to when it launches and the answer states that it will(not possibly or shooting for) launch in north america and europe in spring 2010

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 6:16PM (Unverified) said

Well, I'll stop looking forward to APB coming out any time soon then. Looks like they'll launch to compete with WoW Cataclysm. Brilliant! (yes, I know they are very different games, but I want to purchase and play both)

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 9:21PM wjowski said

...That strategy's killed, like, how many games so far?

Posted: Feb 11th 2010 10:05AM (Unverified) said

Second Life gets away with it. Star Wars Galaxies also does it now too (player made quest) You just have to be creative. My feeling is that people will pay more to create than to play.

Bottom line - company needs to make money...and that's not easy to do with video games right now. What is insane - is to not make money, or to release games with out a subscription fee and thus run the risk of being pirated.

Posted: Feb 11th 2010 2:50AM (Unverified) said

I guess when they say 'launch' they might mean open beta...that's sorta like a launch these days :) ... I mean, some games are still what I consider beta state even after they start charging you for them 'cough' warhammer 'cough' hehehe.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 2:21PM (Unverified) said

This makes me Sad, I was still expecting q1.

APB was supposed to occupy me between ff13 and gw2.

Now what will I play?