Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:11PM (Unverified) said

A persons asks if CO and STO share the same engine and if dropping STO code directly into CO caused some recent bugs, and the dev replies the games run on separate servers.

Way to completely not answer the question!

Overall this was a lackluster QA session that gave no real information at all, something CO holdouts desperately need to have faith in their game. I'd actually like to be excited about CO, but they blew this chance on very vague promises and evasive answers.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:34PM (Unverified) said

I am assuming they are meaning that it is the same engine but because they are on different servers that any updates are game specific (similar fixes may be applied to the engine but the same patches are most likely never used).

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:19PM Damn Dirty Ape said

Where's the beef?

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 2:24PM Anatidae said

We are aware of the nature of cows and have learned a lot about the various breeds. Of course we can't say anything now, but we are very excited about the new packaging coming down the pipe. In this day and age, people demand the very best beef. Speaking of that, have you seen our main bull, Bill Roper? That guy has some balls.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 3:25PM (Unverified) said

@ Brian!

HA!

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:29PM (Unverified) said

This is my favorite answer from Cryptic (in regard to its current performance and subscriber numbers):

"Game development is continued learning, iteration, and alteration to fit the needs of an ever-changing market. A game that was a huge hit five or ten years ago probably wouldn’t do anywhere near as well today. The interests and demands of gamers have changed."

So, is that veiled Cryptic-speak for saying that World of Warcraft or Everquest could never be successful in today's market? I wonder if this is what they tell themselves when they try to go to sleep at night knowing that CO is not performing where it should.

I swear, it sounds like they think that CO has had trouble not because they are turning out half-assed product, but because the players are somehow at fault for expecting so much from game developers. To say nothing of the hint that they somehow think CO is on par with WoW in terms of quality, and that all these other factors, like their customers, are some how at fault and not themselves. Amazing.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:53PM bjooks said

I'd say it's more specifically swipe at City of Heroes, which started right around (if not a few months before) WoW. Later in the Q&A, they also swipe at CoH with this: "Oh, and that 'soon' we're talking about up there, that's not a 'soon(tm)' that's a soon, as in as soon as humanly possible soon." Those familiar with the CoH message boards know that soon(tm) is a standard Dev reply when they don't want players to get their panties in a bunch by announcing something too early.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 2:45PM Halldorr said

It's also a standard reply from Blizzard reps.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 2:58PM dudemanjac said

And plenty of other boards.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 4:57PM Its Utakata stupid said

I think if Cryptic is taking a veiled shot at WoW, then they should be worrying instead about what games like Fallen Earth are doing to radically improve their content for free, likely with a far less of a budget than Crytic has available.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:30PM (Unverified) said

Titanquest is currently outselling STO on Steam... Says it all.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:40PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Not really. Lots of STO players pre-ordered from Steam, so that it's still so high is actually a good sign.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Titan's Quest was selling for $5 on Steam though (expansion included), kind of a steal for an amusing Diablo-Clone. It's not a terrible game.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:49PM (Unverified) said

Aion was a top seller for weeks when it was released.

If you look at todays top sales it is not even in the top 10. Global Agenda and ME2 are still selling very well.

The bad press has really hurt this game. One week in the top 10 sales chart on its week of release is bad.

Regardless of if Titanquest was $5 STO was released that week.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 1:54PM Damn Dirty Ape said

Steam's sale of the week/weekend tends to jump into the top 10 most weeks. They constantly have great deals (psychonauts for 2 bucks, tropico 3 for 13 bucks, torchlight for 5, etc).

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 4:21PM CCon99 said

Titan Quest was on sale, so it will jump right to the top of the Steam chart. But Global Agenda is outselling STO on Steam and it actually is a day older then STO and in the same genre.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 2:04PM (Unverified) said

Bought a Champions Online lifetime membership. Played through the STO closed beta, watched closely as Cryptic fumbled its way through development on both products and how they handle and respond to their customers. I'll never buy another Cryptic product.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 2:38PM (Unverified) said

Well, I doubt Cryptic will be very concerned about losing you since you already forked-over months worth of money to them in a lifetime sub. Hopefully you won't make the same mistake again.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 2:16PM Anatidae said

I still "like" Champions. I guess what I completely love is the costume creator and the ability to pick my own powers without being stuck to any class. I have over a dozen strongly themed characters, some being pretty hard to play since they are using the broken-powers-of-the-patch based on their theme.

What makes my "love" downrank to "like" is:
1. CONTENT!! With a game made to encourage ALTs, I really think there should have been a lot more content. The idea that we are going to have to pay for more higher level content is frustrating and it does not even resolve the lower level content that starts to seriously thin around 20.

2. CONTENT x2!! Desert, Snow, City. My lord! Three zones? It takes forever to see anything else other than these. Come on. WAR got complaints about content, but at least they had settings - and a LOT of them. Come on Cryptic. Maybe grab some of the graphics from the Star Trek and just drop them into Champions. You can create a couple zones from those.

3. Costume Unlocks SUCK. I want to build my theme to start. The idea that I can unlock a costume piece for my character if I grind a few thousand mobs, some of which I might not be able to access until my late levels in the game sucks because, by then, I am cool with my toon. If I earn an unlock I want to use it on a new toon. For a theme-based character, the costume influences your direction.

4. Where are black and white powers? The power color selector is so sad. In what world were you thinking, "Gosh, lets not bother adjusting our engine so that it can support luminance adjustment to the power look." I want to have the option to choose a dark blue power effect, almost black or maybe a yellow so pale it is almost white. I just want the same color selector I get to use with my costume colors.

5. End game? MMOs currently have 2 directions for this. The first is raiding for loot. The second is PvP. PvP can actually sustain itself if it can be a conquest style. DAoC & WAR are good examples (if broke) of the direction. I was shocked to hear that Cryptic didn't just start the game with player Villains as well - putting in zones that could be battled over through a series of conquests. Player and villain bases that could be raided and defended.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 4:16PM madbassman39 said

You hit every complaint that I have had, and have the same feelings towards CO as I do. I loved CoX, and CO was exactly what I wanted in a sequel to that game. Yes I consider CO to be the sequel of CoX, hence why my complaints are the same as yours. If they can get this stuff right (especially the new zones areas for lower levels) then I will be very happy.