Posted: Feb 10th 2010 1:19PM (Unverified) said

So they are forced to do the right thing for once and once more say "Come on Buddy!We can change!" and you wonder why people take it with a grian of salt???

What after all their marketing shenanigans and lack of value for money and content they do this one thing and everyone should kneel before their greatness according to you two?

I agree with most people here it's great that consumers forced them to change their tune on this one but whether it's momentary or a true change of direciton for Cryptic is yet to be seen.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 1:32PM (Unverified) said

Good News for Co players.

I think for many, including myself this is too little too late.

I have been enjoying myself in FE and EVE too much recently to worry about this games and its mismanagement.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 1:36PM Its Utakata stupid said

*scratches head*

Um...why are you lumping me in with Timmah!'s views on this Abriona, when I clearly disagreed with him? And where is either fo us suggesting "everyone should kneel before their greatness?" I don't see we've stated that in anything we said. And at least from me...quite the opposite infact. Sorry if you misread that.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 1:56PM (Unverified) said

I wasn't I meant Celestian and Timmah!Sorry for the confusion.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 2:59PM (Unverified) said

powa to the playas

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 3:48PM Seare said

Some of you are truly sick in the heart. I didn't agree with the paid expansion. It was a bad idea. However, Cryptic saw the error of this and changed to make it free. Yet, some of your still attack them. Damn people, if some one tries to atone for a mistake, you don't slap them in the face. That is just evil and does not encourage companies to even try to rectify a mistake. Stop being such A-holes

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 4:05PM (Unverified) said

I'm not a goldfish. I have a memory.

Cryptic has said "We're gonna change!" several times since launch. They have to prove themselves now... Making this "expansion" free is a step in that direction, but only one. They still have a ways to go before I actually believe them.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 4:21PM Seare said

I agree. But there are some here who never allow redemption and that's wrong. I don't play CO anymore and I only plan to play STO until TOR comes out. I am not a fan boy nor a hater. Same goes for Sony. I played SWG for 4 years, no longer. They made some bad choices. I don't hate them. Weary, sure, but they can redeem themselves. All I'm saying is don't be poor sports. The community won a good battle here. Be gracious winners and more victories may come. No need to be jerks.

The fact is, we all make mistakes. I made one just yesterday. It was really stupid. I know better. I didn't have my head in the game. Its nothing I can't recover from, but it will cost me time to fix it. I beat myself up so much, my trainer didn't need too. She could have, but she didn't. I'm greatful she is not like some of the posters here. I learned from this mistake and I'll have my head in the game from now on. Before you drag someone's head through the mud, remember all the mistakes you have made. If you are truly that feed up with Cryptic, then don't play there games and move on. Why do you feel the need to keep compaining about them?

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 4:37PM Luk said

No rest for the wicked, that is why :)
But on a serious note, trust is not something that is given, it is earned and they have a long way to go. I do not play Cryptic games anymore, either, but I will keep watching them and everything they do, because I still care about what they could do with their games, hopefully something good, although they have been disappointing so far.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

I guess the quesiton is how many chances and how much time do you give them?A lot of people woudl say they've had enough time and opportunity for redemption...most peopel are not content to wait forever for them to make good and will move on to toher products or bakc to those they already know and trust.

Posted: Feb 12th 2010 10:04AM (Unverified) said

Because Cryptic did not change their stance out of concern for the players, this is merely a reaction to bad press and player complaints.

This is what they can "saving face"

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 5:32PM Kalex716 said

I was a champion player, and I had a lot of fun with it the first couple of weeks. I don't regret the buyin purchase and the free month it came with, but i never re-uped. And It had nothing to do with their business model. My problem with it, was it just wasn't worth it, even if it was free.

The game didn't have enough content at launch to engage me, didn't have enough on the horizon, and what was coming didn't seem fun enough to keep me at all interested. I would gladly give them my money if it was enriching enough from a gameplay perspective but it wasn't. Their game was simply to thin beyond the "newness" of it. Shame really, cause they had a couple of neat hooks in their core combat loop, the game just lacked ways to really feel like you were part of a world that mattered.

I completely stayed away from STO as well based on the fact that I had to consider the very real possibility that the design patterns and game conventions that helped create CO from the ground up would be iterated in that project as well in order to save time, money, energy. From all that i've gathered about it, I was right.

Making an MMO that is to be attached to a big launch these days is hard.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 6:23PM wjowski said

And the fandumb is in full swing, I see.

Posted: Feb 12th 2010 6:16PM Seare said

@Adbriona. Really? 4 months is enough time? CO was just released in October. Maybe you are referring to pre-launch promises? I don't know.

@Vyper. It really doesn't matter why they did it. What matters is the players got want THEY wanted. That is the power of the consumer, voting with your wallets. IMHO, there is no such thing a a noble corporation. Profit is what matters most to all of them, Look at Toyota. Even they messed up and they will pay the price in the short run. If they redeem themselves, they will recover.

Posted: Feb 14th 2010 1:30PM (Unverified) said

I disagree. I think it does matter. I'm happy the people got what they wanted, but they got it in a disingenuous manner. And I agree that it's all about business and making money, but it also creates doubt for the long-term stability of the game.

For a company (for the most part) that has shown itself to mostly be interested in money as opposed to robust, engaging, ongoing content it's logical to assume that they would view such a player reaction to equal a loss of potential future profits in the franchise. If people won't pay for this expansion, why would they.. or.. WILL they, pay for the next one? Should (we) continue development?

It's the first steps on a shaky path, can Cryptic save face and make good?

Maybe...at least that's what the magic 8-ball told me.

Posted: Feb 16th 2010 2:23PM (Unverified) said

I played Champions and I can say soundly it COULD have been an amazing game if it weren't for the huge balancing issues they should have never had from the start.. But that's the problem with making a game that's way to free form for its own good but that free form attitude also extends into their other huge issue, which is customer service.

See, What was way worse was the way the GM's treated THEIR CUSTOMERS. I had an issue, a true to life issue that no one other then a GM could help with and all i got in response to my ticket was an automated response that amounted to "The GM's are busy answering REAL problems, ask a player" .. I kid you not.. So I got rightfully pissed and wrote another ticket stating that not only did I look up the problem online and on their crap forums (I'll get to that in a sec) before I even decided to bother with a ticket but it wasn't a problem that could be answered simply (as in "go here then here") but could ONLY be handled by a GM. it was only when I threatened to quit the game and take my money elsewhere that I got a GM to respond (in record time, mind you) but had him apologizing profusely for being overlooked...

End result: I was told the problem couldn't be fixed, they couldn't do any thing unless I rerolled the character and redid every thing RIGHT, this was 26 levels into the game. It was something they really could have flicked a switch to fix and he just wouldn't, citing that "we think the game is better this way.." and "actually that makes it more rewarding".. Not when I'm missing things that I can't get to experience because of the way they didn't think their systems through.. It wasn't something I could buy from their cryptic store, so really it didn't matter to them.

And their forums.. OH GOD.. I've never seen a forum so un-moderated in my life. The only time I ever saw a moderator/GM/Dev speak on the forums out side of an announcement was to joke around with the players, never once to answer a real question.

Oh and one night the log in server goes down without warning. at least 4 full threads get started on the forums with people saying its down and that they sent in a ticket. They didn't respond to either and the log in server remained offline for at least 5 hours without ANY word from a GM or a forum moderator.

The passive aggressive nature of the people on the forums didn't help it. I guess these people are raging fan boys of the game or something but seriously when your paying for a game that should have a 24/7 up time (not counting maintenance) you shouldn't be explaining simple things away major problems, let alone the lack of employee presence on the forums during times of obvious distress, with quotes like "well maybe they don't employ people to upkeep the servers overnight, guys"

Their customer service just sucks ass, plain and simple. No free expansion or new powers are going to fix that. And the LAST thing they need to do to improve relations with their players is a Dev Supergroup.. Trust me, I played MxO from the beginning of beta till about a year after Sony bought it from Monolith/WB, Dev run groups DO NOT WORK.. It's a hot bed of favoritism and backstabbing.. And considering that EVERYONE plays on the same server I find it even worse that they think this would help things.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 9:45PM Arcadian said