Posted: Feb 9th 2010 3:07PM mode7overworld said

Played a bit of this yesterday and the day before, during what I guess was the last - and public - days of the closed beta.

The combat is really dull, but the graphics engine and art direction are remarkably strong. It's a pretty game, with nice character models, and it controls and generally "feels" better than other F2P games, particularly Runes of Magic.

So, the F2P business model is making some progress, but it's still not great.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 3:55PM Pingles said

Allods is one of the most unforgiving games I've ever played when it comes to talent points.

Once you straighten things out it's amazing how much damage you start doing with combat.

In my experience, anyhow. I played two melee characters.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 3:16PM (Unverified) said

If you only played for little bit of one day you've only seen the introduction to how things work. It gets far more challenging once you get off the newbie island and start having to decide on skills and traits and managing your energy and mana.

Out of all the F2P's have come along way and its actually great. Maybe not OMG WoWKilla great but its great and its going to get really crazy when OB hits and people start saving up for Ships since the Ship combat alone is worth the PVE journey.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

The closed beta has been fun. The combat speed could use improvement.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 4:06PM (Unverified) said

Yay, can't wait.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 4:11PM (Unverified) said

I agree the combat speed is dreadfully slow at the beginning. However, people are saying after level 10 it picks up. I hope they're right, because cycling through my skill set 5-8 times to kill 1 level 4 or 5 mob is NOT what I consider fun.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 4:21PM Keen and Graev said

Combat speed is incredibly fast past level 5. It can even be quick at level 5 if you know how to play. Stats matter. Bad stats = Bad results. Learn them early.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 9:01AM Tom L said

Absolutely. This game is nearly as unforgiving as DDO for getting optimal results. I played through a number of toons (like 6-7) through the first 7 levels and each time I did so the combat got quicker and quicker. By the time I tried the summoner I was 3-4 shotting most even con mobs. There really are no free levels outside of the tutorial.

It's a helluva fun game once you grok that.

Ta,

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 5:02PM Kane Hart said

It's going be great once I get my account limitation issues solved. But they have done an amazing job over the years making this game and I think closed beta was a very good success.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 5:55PM (Unverified) said

Keen, where can you go to learn what are the good/bad stats? Your blog provided some good info but are there some better sites for info on this game?

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 10:38PM Keen and Graev said

Information is the biggest problem because there simply isn't enough of it out there. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have. Feel free to stop by the blog, forums (our Allods forum seems to be the second most active out there), email me, or ask questions here.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 5:08PM Scuffles said

Astral Navigation Science, Making a note here .... HUGE SUCCESS
for the good of all of us, including those who were dead.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 6:04PM Saylah said

I can't wait for this game to release. And yes, the talent and stats are a bit unforgiving. You either get them right or suffer. Once the game is live, there will be MANY cookie-cutter builds for new players to use as a starting point. That said, no auto-attack and very little white damage does translate to what feels like slower combat to many players, myself included. However, the classes and zones were such a joy that it doesn't really matter that it takes a bit longer to kill and equal level mob in Allods than comparable games. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR OB AND RELEASE! woot.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 6:06PM Rimshot0 said

When I first played this game I made a character and by level 9 I was barely able to kill even level mobs. Then I figured out how the stats points work, made another character, and was breezing through the content. The combat doesn't have to be slow at the beginning if you know what you're doing. Keep your stats balanced.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 6:21PM (Unverified) said

*Fist pump*

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 6:32PM (Unverified) said

I'm excited to have a character that won't be deleted. Really neat game that will slowly pick up more and more hype. This is a game where your stat and talent points will really boost or Gimp your toon.

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 6:56PM (Unverified) said

I've played in the closed beta most of character classes, my highest character was a level 27 warrior.

The game picks up after level 10.

Instances, even low level ones are well done and very hard. You owe it to yourself to check them out, considering the game is free.

Warriors in particular feel a bit slow at the beginning.

Some tips:
Use basic attack between other buttons.
Balance your stats. Make sure that the ones marked with star are as high as they can be. You can't allow yourself to go 'all strength' and ignore the others or the hit table will punish you with armor penalties, blocks, misses and glancing blows. They need to be roughly equal as you level. A single upgrade item can mess up this balance and the result may be unpleasant. What good is high strength if you can't land a hit, or if it all gets soaked into the mob's armor?
Warriors: you can use paired axes after level 10. There's a quest that gives you a good pair of green axes. They increase the combat pace quite a bit. Dual wielding in this game is a lot more fun than running around with a two-hander.
Read advice on the forums about how to spend your talent points. Some of it will make a huge difference. The tooltips may be misleading (remember that 50% of a crappy stat is still 50% of a crappy stat).

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 3:02AM (Unverified) said

Not all the things are pink in Sarnaut... I got a lvl 40 Kanian Druid on EU server, I don't want to expand my comments here about the last patches, the OP potions, the new "Fear of the Death" feature. If u are interested about how Allods really looks, check EU forums on the "FoD" thread:

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 2:51PM (Unverified) said

I too remember how easily -yet slowly- mobs fell to my spells/weapons in the starter zones.

I also remember how shocked how the even-con mobs in Holy Lands wiped the floor with me - even-con Elites I used to solo with cooldowns and a Potion of Power could 3-4 shot me in Holy Lands.

The difficulty takes a noticeable step up and you definitely feel the training wheels got taken off.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM