Posted: Feb 6th 2010 12:42PM justfish said

"FFXI has always had a strong community."

I've found both wow and ffxi to hold this comment. I left ffxi and wow because the community was very elitist.

if you need access to sea, you need to lvl this job. i never found a linkshell to fit into. people were more concerned with themselves and equipment and only stepping on someone else to get one more step ahead.

i currently play lotro. they have a good community. if you want, pvp, cool. if you want to raid endgame, cool. if you want to quest and explore cool.

and guess what, if you need help, i've found perfect strangers willing to help each other out and not be a total donkey about it. i can't say i've found a more friendly community anywhere. i'm very content in lotro and will never go back to ffxi or wow because of their strong community.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 12:57PM (Unverified) said

"what the best job for a starter character is supposed to be"

you never actually spoke to this point in the article....so...

The obvious and most commonly agreed upon answer answer is Monk. While the least sought job of the starting 6 jobs for parties (with the exception of a thf pre-lvl 15), monk is easily the most well rounded job to start with. It has the strongest weapon skill, most rounded stats, and is in general an excellent solo job. Not to mention the arguably strongest two hour of the starting 6.

While the job you should take really depends on the role you want to take later, i.e. if you want to tank start a war, DD mnk/thf/blm, heal whm/rdm, the early levels aren't always the best indication of the role jobs play later in the game, but they are a nice indication of the different roles you'll play as the game progresses.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 3:02PM breezer said

Seeing a column on FFXI fills my heart with nostalgic joy. I just resubbed (for the 100th time) last week, and it's really nice to see FFXI getting some attention here ^^

Anyway:
I tell more magically inclined people to start RDM.
RDM18
BLM and WHM37
RDM75

RDMs godly even at low levels. It's one of the most sought after classes (after level 41, and even before to a lesser degree), you can level it extremely fast and if you stick it out to 75, you'll have not only the best solo job (arguably) in the game, you'll have a job that's useful for pretty much any and everything in end game.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 1:35PM Dalrint said

Okay, so, honest question.

Is this any less grindy than it was before? I played, I got to level...11? With my Red mage.

And then...I couldn't do anything except desperately try adn find a group, or kill mobs that gave barely any experience...

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Less grindy? No, not really. Easier and more enjoyable to grind? Yes.

Depending on when you played last (sounds a while), they raised the amount of XP that EP and DC mobs give you, and the new Fields of Valor allow you to gain a set amount of 'bonus' XP based on killing a certain set of mobs. The amount of XP given for completing an FoV is pretty substantial. Law of averages, probably a little less than ~10% of your experience to next level.

Of course, group play is still much faster for XP.

Less grindy it's not, but it's a lot more enjoyable of a solo experience than it was before.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 5:18PM (Unverified) said

I remember another writer on this site tried to do a beginners guide to FFXI. Good luck because that game's economy is wretched for a new player with no money or experience. It's got a lot of fun elements to it but I don't think it's the kind of get to get your feet wet in at this point. Wait for FFXIV or something when everyone is on an equal playing field.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 5:33PM (Unverified) said

I would agree with nerglz, even though I play FFXI (but only to spite the cheating portion of the player-base).

Take two numbers, if you're on XI:

Do a /sea all (/search all).

Then do a /sea all 1-74 (levels 1-74).

All you need to know that nerglz's statement is correct is to know that the latter number will be 1/3 (or less) of the former.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 6:07PM Eamil said

I played FFXI briefly and wanted to continue, but it was a bit TOO hardcore for my taste. I finally decided to wait for FFXIV since it sounds like it's going to be more my speed.

Posted: Feb 7th 2010 4:03AM (Unverified) said

It's hard to start new in any MMO. FFXI especially. It's not an easy mode game. It's a game based on community and teamwork. If you aren't starting with dedicated friends or willing to wait out the tough spots looking for grps to level this game isn't for you/ FFXIV is on the horizon but I have a feeling it wouldn't stray far from the predecessor. Look forward to FFXIV to focus on grp play & team work. With the character advancement being more solo friendly.

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 8:41AM (Unverified) said

I feel the most important thing to let people know when they are trying to start from scratch on FFXI is keep a cool head. Too often I have spoken with people whom become so easily agitated with this or that. Whether it's being killed by a monster of even level or simply losing EXP for dying. Every game has detrimental consequences for various actions and if you take the time to compare how each game handles these consequence it can help keep things in perspective while maybe allowing you stick with it for the long run.

Another thing that I hear a lot of people up in arms about is FFXI's reliance on group play and lack of solo friendly content. I always respond to those people with a gentle reminder that it is in fact a massive multi-player online game. If you were just soloing all the time why not play one of the other 20+ offline FF games. That being said keeping a positive attitude will go a very long way in making those friends that you'll need to truly experience not just the content of FFXI but the fun that only MMOs can offer.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM