Posted: Feb 5th 2010 4:27PM aurickle said

This is all really great stuff. I'm glad to see that Turbine continues to listen to their players. I'm especially happy that the other Volume I books are apparently getting the treatment that Books 1 and 2 did. I've never been able to do the entire Epic line with any of my characters, even though I'm in a really good guild so it will be nice to see what's there.

From the various stuff that has now been posted (such as in yesterday's Dev Diary), it's clear that the game is preparing for moving on into Rohan. I can't wait! It wouldn't surprise me if Volume 3 sets up the advance to Rohan, and that shortly after 3-1 is released we'll see the first announcement about a Riders of Rohan expansion for end of the year.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 5:07PM dudes said

Ooooh. Nice. No, really. Looking forward to this.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 6:57PM Fraul Pench said

AND MY AXE!

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 5:19PM (Unverified) said

The changes to the volume 1 epic questline to make it more solo-friendly will probably win them another month's subscription from me. It really chapped my ass that this content, which imho was the most distinctive feature setting LOTRO apart from the crowd, is just an exercise in epic frustration for a latecomer like me. There just aren't that many low-level characters around. And a lot that there are are alts that either don't bother with the epic questline (due to said frustration) or get friends and guildmates to help them through it.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 5:29PM (Unverified) said

I hope they do do it like the first two chapters make it esie rto solo the world stuff and give you a solo option for instances if you can't find a group...not jsut move the group option entirely.Having options is always good.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 7:54PM (Unverified) said

Seems like Turbine is doing alot of good things...Playing DDO has made me want to LOTRO again, and now that I see all these changes coming I'm really thinking about reactivating...the thing is that I didn't care for Mines of Moria very much...seemed too dark for me...

Anyone know what the fastest way out of MoM is? I want to play it myself, so don't think I want to buy leveling or anything...It's just that the darknes makes the Elf in me sad...VERY, VERY sad...

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:41PM happyfish said

Skirmishes are a really viable option now to level up now. You get a +25% or something boost to xp in them, so each mob kill nets you 300-600 xp, which adds up fast.

I think they also made getting the rep into lothlorien a lot easier now too. You can start at 55-56ish, and it takes maybe 2 hours to get the rep you need.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 11:44AM aurickle said

You know, that's actually one of the brilliant things about Mines of Moria -- the books played up how dwarves and elves don't get along very well, partly because they have such different ideas about where it's nice to be. The Mines are absolutely a place that elves would be miserable in, although the Second Hall is also very obviously a dwarven tribute to the nearby elves of Lothlorien.

Anyway, here's advice for getting through Moria as quickly as possible:

1) At level 48, do the quests to get your legendary items. They earn item XP anywhere, so you might as well get them and level them up as soon as possible.

2) Return to the Misty Mountains, Angmar and Forochel. They have a lot of content for level 50 characters, since they were created when 50 was the cap. You'll get good XP (and Item XP) from them for a few levels.

3) Don't forget about High Hollin. It's a really enjoyable zone and appeals to elven sensibilities. :)

4) You'll probably run out of content around level 54. At this point, go into the mines. Four levels in there will flash by. As an elf you'll especially appreciate Durin's Way, Zelem-Melek, Flaming Deeps, Redhorn Lodes and Nud-Melek (Second Hall), so focus your adventuring there. Aside from the Epic questline, you'll definitely want to skip Great Delving, Silvertine Lodes, Water Works and Foundations of Stone. There's no way you'll need to do all the quests even in the zones I've mentioned in order to get from 54 to 58.

5) At 58 you should leave through the First Hall into Dimrill Dale. If you play carefully the Dale can be soloed even starting at 58, although it will be much easier if you can find a small group. Fortunately there are normally a number of players building up Lothlorien rep there (to get into the forest, into the city, and also to get leaves or branches for rep trade in items) and the content is really concentrated so that it's easy to find a small group.

6) From there, just continue on into the forest and beyond. And let me tell you, your elven soul will be very much at home beneath the mallorn trees!

Hope that helps. Using this approach you should only need to spend a few days in Moria and your time there will be spent in the least claustrophobic parts of it.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 11:49AM aurickle said

PS: Happyfish is right. I haven't played through MoM since skirmishes went in, so forgot to consider them. With judicious use of skirmishes you should be able to easily hit 55 before you have to go into the Mines because everything else is too low of level to be worth it. Then, once you're in the Mines you should be able to only focus on the more enjoyable stuff while you get a bunch of XP from skirmishes on the side. I'd say you could just about focus on just Durin's Way and Nud-Melek; you'll probably be able to skip the rest of the Mines.

Posted: Feb 7th 2010 7:34AM (Unverified) said

Definitely looking forward to finish Volume I.

@Matt: I had same problem of thinking Moria is too dark. You can go into your graphics options to change your Ambient Light Setting. I increased this and the results were simply amazing. I went from barely even seeing the steps I was going down to seeing all the way across the cave. Some may think that decreases immersion, but I like to see what there is to see.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 10:15AM GalaPT said

Looking forward to this. Some very welcome changes.

No new landmass tough... maybe for book2.