Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:20PM CitizenH said

It's not a rumor that came out of Hero-Con so much as the developers said flat out they hope to be able to release the graphics update before Going Rogue, is all goes well.

Listening to the offical forums, and with McCann's comment in mind, I expect to hear some news in this vein late next week, if not earlier.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 12:16AM cyanpill said

Actually it goes further then that, Television has posted(yes really) the following:
"'Aeon believes that the best way to get a new graphics technology out sooner is to berate the tech lead who is so identified with images that it is named the Television. I don't know what to make of that. What I do know is that every time you post about your friendship with the Television you affirm the importance of stories and meaning. You remind the devs that pretty pictures require stories to live. You ask for content and you tell them you don't want to wait for Going Rogue. And believe me: the devs are listening.'"

So in other words, either they are going to work on more content, or more graphics before GR, depending on player response.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 1:35AM wjowski said

CoH's graphics still look pretty nice today, I think.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 8:36AM lmollea said

"War on television" is also the name of one of the most used farming missions villain side.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 8:41AM Gel214th said

I still consider City of Heroes/Villains to be the most feature rich MMORPG out there today.

The only thing that holds it back is the aged graphics engine that powers it. If they can bring the Graphics up to 2009 levels then CoH/CoV will likely be my only MMORPG for quite some time.

It's probably sad...but I can't wrap my head around the graphics anymore :-)
They aren't bad, they just remind me that this game has been around for a while.

I would not have thought that the developers had the resources to gut the graphics engine though. And I'm not sure that simply bumping up texture resolution etc. will do.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:32AM (Unverified) said

You should check out some of the videos and screenshots of ultra mode. I don't think they're drastically altering the models or textures - what they are doing is adding real time shadows, ambient occlusion and reflections on water and glass in all areas.

Skip to 10 minutes in in this video to see the presentation of Ultra Mode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SItM3OLqb5w

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 11:13AM Halldorr said

Does it have any sort of end game or is it still Hamidon and roll alts?

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 11:24AM Gel214th said

Yeah umm..those graphics updates are more than good enough for me :-)

I anticipate a resurgence of City of Heroes in 2010! ^_^

Posted: Feb 7th 2010 4:59PM (Unverified) said

yep halldorr, going rogue is bring some sort of new end game content to the game but when if where we dont have the info yet

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 5:08AM ZenJitsu said

The six-year-old engine is definitely showing its age, glad they're overhauling it. They're definitely going to have a resurgence this year, especially in light of how well Champions Online is doing. Or rather, not doing.

Although CO's engine is newer and shinier than CoH's, CoH wins out by having more experienced devs, better community and customer support. Their devs respond to player feedback and banter right along with players in the forums. It definitely makes it feel more like a group effort to make something lasting and fun than a 'have you paid this month yet? no? I don't know you' relationship.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:28AM bjooks said

And it's not just a war on televison, it's a war on Television -- a villain-side contact in the game. They've been fighting a war of words in the forums for a bit now; having two Devs role-playing their characters in the forums has honestly been a hoot. While I've got nothing but mad love for Dr. Aeon and his AE skills, I cannot get enough of the Television on the forums right now.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 10:23AM (Unverified) said

I was gonna say. That's Television with a capital 'T'.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 5:11AM ZenJitsu said

See, this is just a tough call. Not a fan of Dr. A, but he holds the graphics. I'm a graphics ho.

But on the other hand, television is time-honored tradition, neither good nor evil, it can be used for either. It has opened vistas people might otherwise have never seen.