Posted: Feb 4th 2010 12:54PM (Unverified) said

I wouldn't write this off as another Warhammer Online. I have found THQ to deliver nice high-quality products. I'm sure it will be something to look forward too. I would love to have several playable races.
The reason I say this is because in WAR Online a goblin squig herder can take on a Black Orc! Or a Knight of the Blazing sun! In the warhammer world this would never happen and it destroys my sense of immersion into the world when playing these MMOs...
Then again nobody would play a Night Goblin if everyone WTFPWNS them...
Catch 22 for me

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:28PM nomoredroids said

I personally don't feel like anything about Warhammer Online made any sense.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 11:58AM (Unverified) said

This is why I'm hoping (pointlessly, I would imagine) that they look further into the IP than just the tabletop wargame races and more into actual life in the 40K universe. I'm thinking more along the lines of inquisitor or Dark Heresy.

That way they'd be able to keep the IP intact and still have balance and interesting stories. Though I am braced for yet another Space Marine heavy game in a world where there are fields of eldar guardians just milling about for me to grind.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 2:05PM Valdamar said

"My problem with these games is balance vs. destroying the background of the game. Like how can an Eldar Guardian take on a Space Marine solo?"

What I'd do is have Marine players begin as Scouts (or Cultists for Chaos) and not become full Marines (/transformed into Chaos Marines) until mid-game and then they become Veterans/Terminators (or Chosen, for Chaos) in the late game - or maybe a Dreadnought :p The Eldar curve could be Guardian at the start, then Ranger or a "lighter" Warrior Aspect (Dire Avenger, Swooping Hawk, etc.), then eventually a Warlock or a "heavier" Aspect Warrior (Warp Spider, Dark Reaper, etc.). Orks could do the same, starting as Shoota/Slugga Boyz, moving on to becoming Kommandoz/Stormboyz, and eventually they join the Nobz. Actual rank (e.g. Sergeant, Exarch, etc.) could be completely separate, for stuff like leading squads/platoons of players (like in Planetside).

As humans are so weak compared to Marines/aliens the Imperial Guard might be tricky to do, unless you borrowed the idea of Masterminds from City of Villains - i.e. you control the leader/officer and you have NPC Guardsmen that follow your orders without fail (and if they do something stupid, as NPCs sometimes do, then it's still thematic for WH40K lore - Guardsmen are expendable :p ) - so you might start as a Guard Lieutenant with a few NPC Guardsmen (Whiteshields perhaps), but by endgame you could be a hard-as-nails Commissar leading an NPC squad of 5-10 Kasrkin (who have grown in power through the game, like you have) with maybe an Ogryn and/or Ratling Sniper attached. Or just start the Imperial Guard players off as a single Guardsman but their mid-game "upgrade" is to Leman Russ tank commander, then their endgame is commanding a Baneblade, so there are compensations to starting off weak :)

Although they're showing Titans in the concept art, so with luck we'll get multi-crew vehicles and the lucky players will be the groups who get to play as the Princeps and Moderatii in a Warlord titan.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 12:58PM nearly nil said

So the news is that there is no news, but there will be news in the future. I feel better.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 1:06PM Gaugamela said

The warhammer 40K universe is incredibly massive and has one of the most amazing backstories of any IP. These are the original Space Marines and the most badass and awesome untill this day. It also has some other amazing species, even if i don't believe some will be playable (i can't see Tyranids or Necrons being playable for example).

The way for this game to be awesome to me would be if it was a pay to play Allods Online with a Warhammer 40k theme (thus a lot grittier).

I have hopes this company will make aa good work with the IP, after all they belong to THQ that launched good games like DoW and will release a A-RPG based on it soon.

I could see a three faction system working in this game if each faction corresponded to a different army.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 2:33PM nearly nil said

Lordy, what we don't need is the same tired MMO mechanics. 40k is a squad-based game, not individuals. I hope and pray that the developers remember that.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 1:36PM (Unverified) said

@Oxlar

You mean http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/.

THQ is a good company, not the best but they have a solid track record. They have done extremely well with the Dawn of War franchise. We have been let down on to many MMOs lately so I'm not holding out alot of faith for this game. I will probably try it though.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 2:44PM Cicadymn said

Sorry. does someone have a towel...and a change of pants?

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:28PM nomoredroids said

I'd offer you mine, but....

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 4:33PM BreakingPoint0 said

It will be interesting to see what type of game that has been created. I've had an idea for a 40K MMO for a while now, I'm interested to see if they designed the same way I thought of it. If so then I can't wait!

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 4:39PM Psychotic Storm said

Not holding my breath, too small chance to pull it right and please people too.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 5:39PM Averice said

Woo, I'm glad I checked Massively today and saw this. Like others have said in the comments here, THQ has a chance to do something original, and hopefully they jump on it. WH40k has always felt like a more complete IP to me than WHFB.

As with a lot of MMO's you're going to run into the problem of healers... hopefully they don't actually have a healing class in this game. Just use regenerating shields already or something. I feel that was a major issue with WAR that turned it into a bad game. It basically said hey, we want to be like WoW, but we want to do it the WAR way, with a WAR theme. Okay great, you made a WAR themed WoW, that doesn't mean you made a Warhammer FB MMO!

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 5:56PM (Unverified) said

Averice,
You really think one of WAR's major issues was having healers? I really don't think that was it. I would be SHOCKED if this 40K MMO has Space Marines and didn't have apothecaries

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 6:12PM (Unverified) said

If you want to see a company that is doing it right; check out EVE's development on World of Darkness Online..... no hype, and barely a pulse to let you know they're still working on it.
I believe when they finally unveil anything it will be very close to finished.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 6:40PM (Unverified) said

Thank God Mythic isn't running this game. They seem to **** up every game they create.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 7:36PM (Unverified) said

I wonder why making mmo's is so popular these days.

It seems that every company who tries to make an mmo, just ends up ruining its reputation.

Most people hate Funcom. Why? They made Age of Conan.
Most people hate Mythic. Why? The made Warhammer Online.
Most people hate Cryptic. Why? They made Champions Online.
Most people hate NCSoft. Why? They made Tabula Rasa.
Most people hate Sigil. Why? They made Vanguard.
Most people hate SOE. Why? They made Everquest.
Most people hate Blizzard. Why? They made World of Warcraft.

Are we starting to see any trends?
It seems the only companies people don't hate are the ones that make sandbox mmos, so weired that its not even popular by the mainstream. Only weired people who enjoy spreadsheets like them.

Has the genre fallen in between two chairs? Between that of the normal fps/console game, and that of spreadsheet sandbox mmos?

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 5:19AM (Unverified) said

I don't think that mmo genre has fallen. I think that the realization that many of games that you speak of came out way to early, and conducted their true beta testing on the backs of paying customers.

Most of these games could of waited a extra year before being released, and maybe they would be in better shape than they are now.

It's safe to say that the days of giving a mmo games slack for not being finished, and patching up later... are over.

I am looking forward to Warhammer 40k, but it will be with a wait and see attitude.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 11:50AM wjowski said

The main problem with the MMO genre is that it's so called biggest fans are whiny bitches that don't know what they want.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 10:47PM (Unverified) said

I wanna see a preliminary unveil of what they got going now. Then I want them to come back at another showing before release, and show off what they've CHANGED and IMPROVED from the first unveiling :D. Just my cent :(

The Nexus Telegraph: How to fix WildStar