Posted: Feb 4th 2010 7:30PM Leitchy said

You might also want to check out the preliminary release notes for the patch here:

It's huge but well worth a read. Highlights include the inevitable class tweaks, L64 skills, more updates to Legendary Items, altered and improved rewards in skirmishes, and lots of bug fixes.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 7:32PM Surelle said

I have five level 50 capped characters in CoX, and bought Champions Online upon release. Unfortunately, the half-finished state of the game combined with Cryptic's shenanigans concerning the $199 lifetime accounts (where they charged everyone up front instead of giving them the usual 30-day free period before billing like other MMORPGs do) lead me to cancel.

I wasn't a lifer but I can sympathize with those who were in shock the day after they were charged their $199. Not only did they not get their free month to decide about the lifetime billing, but a huge, completely unannounced, undocumented, never-beta-tested nerf patch got put directly onto the live servers too. Its across-the-boards defense and class nerfs and its ratcheting up of every mob's difficulty level was too much to dump on CO's unsuspecting populace at once to begin with, never mind Cryptic's total lack of communication on those issues.

The whole thing was handled in an underhanded way, although I couldn't be that surprised after previously watching Bill Roper's Hellgate: London team advertising for and raking in lifetime membership fees even as the burning (Flag)ship was sinking. Yet another game that could have been good but suffered from a premature birth and poor management and decision-making. (I hope Hellgate: Resurrection is truly finished and polished now that it is in the hands of a completely different development team, but it would have been nice if Roper finished what he started instead of releasing yet another half-baked game (CO) instead.

I wouldn't touch Star Trek Online with a ten-foot laser, I'll tell you that. :)

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 7:35PM Surelle said

Oh dang it, I clicked the wrong Comments button haha! This was meant for the CO/Cryptic article by Sera.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 8:31PM elocke said

Lol. and yet...I feel compelled to ask if we could see similar articles on other companies, heck even ones that maybe say, "hey, good job, keep making good games" i.e. Turbine *cough* and Blizzard*cough*, besides ones that might bring a company to start rethinking its business model - like EA or Funcom.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 2:19AM wjowski said

Blizzard doesn't make good games, it just makes popular games...

...Yeah, I don't get it either.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 6:52AM (Unverified) said

What is wrong with Funcom's business model. They know they screwed up the AoC launch. After that they have been pretty decent.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:02PM yeppers said

I (heart) Turbine. I hope they never change. They're a good role model for developers and publishers on how to treat their customers. The game came out years ago, was predicted to fail, and has only gotten better. Huzzah!

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:10PM elocke said

Agreed. I have constantly been impressed by the growth of LOTRO since launch and at how consistent Turbine has been. So much so, I decided to buy a lifetime sub 3 years after launch, unlike other companies who only offer it for a month before launch.

That being said, my 3 favorite developers, in the mmorpg world right now are Turbine, Blizzard and Square. These guys CRAFT games they don't just mass market them. Tender love and care is given by these guys and it is evident in their creations. They definitely need to be the rolemodel for other indy companies or even companies who are established but have lost their way.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:37AM (Unverified) said

Wow, those are some very interestng changes. Makes me want to try to play some more. I've been going on and off with this game and I cannot seem to get hooked for some reason I cannot quite pinpoint. The game is well-done, well-cared for but I feel like I'm missing something important that would hook me up :(

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:41AM dudes said

LoTR is the only game I rate at the moment. Guild Wars 2 is eagerly awaited, however.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:43AM dudes said

There's also talk of Rohan in the dev blog. Hope we see that place and maybe Helms Deep.