Posted: Feb 4th 2010 8:17PM DrewIW said

I have to agree with Darius that this was not a premeditated act. karttoon was always impulsive and emotional in his decisions, and after being called on to resign, I think his attitude was simply "if I can't have it, no one can".

I think after setting up shop in Syndicate, we can expect to see Goonwaffe sending fleets north to fight Tri and company.

Goons in Syndicate. BoB(IT) in Delve. The circle is complete.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 8:30PM Yoh said

Huh? I didn't see that one coming.

Sure, I knew Goonswarm were getting torn to shreds due to the new sov changes, but I didn't expect this level of drama.

But that's EVE for you.

~Yoh

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 8:48PM Ves said

Only in EVE, you have to love this game.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 12:29AM Anatidae said

+1 Love the idea of Eve, can't keep playing it for more than a few weeks.

My last run I was doing ok. But when it comes down to it, it is too high level of ship management for me. I want an EvE game where I am sitting in the cockpit and my actual real skill of flying will be the thing that makes or breaks my future. Not the price and loadout of my ship.

I always dreamed of a game where large ships exist, but they take guilds to fly. Like guns can auto fire, but it is no replacement for having someone in a gunner seat actually shooting.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 8:51PM Dalrint said

Am I the only person who doesn't like playing Eve, but absolutely loves reading about the eve politics stuff?

It actually got me to try the game, in fact. Couldn't hold my attention at all. But MAN, the drama is awesome...

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:10PM (Unverified) said

I'm exactly the same. I tried EVE, it's just not a good fit for me. I like open-ended stuff, but my MO is Machiavelli-style conflict avoidance (why fight if you don't have to?), you really have to have the mindset of a conflict-seeker to get into the metagaming in EVE. That said, I love all these crazy stories, including The Mittani's column "Sins of a Solar Spymaster".

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:56PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, me too. I loved the metagame, but the actual game bores me to tears. Already tried it three times.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 11:09AM breezer said

was going to say exactly the same thing. If only click n watching myself warp for hours a day were a fraction as interesting as reading about EVE drama....

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:53AM J Brad Hicks said

No, it's not even vaguely just you. Auto-fly auto-shoot combat bores me, combat at such long ranges I can't even see the enemy ships bores me, spending 35 hours mining or farming pirates to be able to afford 5 hours of PvP bores me; the actual game is so boring that I can't imagine how anybody but the most completely obsessive compulsive player stands it. But CCP the company, as the most aggressive anti-cheating anti-gold-selling MMO company out there, fascinates me (HTFU indeed). And for all that it sounds on some level like junior high school clique versus clique stuff, they dress it up so pretty that faction warfare stories are fun to read.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 5:24AM ZenJitsu said

I love reading this stuff, too. I haven't even played the game (can't dedicate that much time) but I do enjoy their movies, screenshots and stories.

This kind of emergent (meta)gaming is simply terrific, and I applaud CCP for excelling at keeping the players engaged.

Posted: Feb 6th 2010 3:01PM (Unverified) said

Yup. Love the drama, hate the game mechanics.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:03PM Dblade said

The ceo went on vacation, forgot to pay the bills, and caused loss of territory. Then he either ragedisbanded the alliance, or chose to anyways. It sounds a lot more interesting than it really is. If anything the Providence/-A- fighting is probably a better story and more meaningful.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:05PM Dblade said

edit: the CVA versus -A- I mean. The games biggest Not Red-Don't Shoot alliance for some reason makes a power grab for a system and is getting hammered. Actual fighting and drama ensue.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 1:06PM Mode7James said

I just left LFA.... I'm a little surprised how organized these large alliances are, yet when they go to war they are extremely unorganized and don't plan anything. At least that's what it seemed like in Providence. Why CVA and LFA teamed up to try and claim territory without a good strategy seems strange to me. Napoleon had the same problem :P

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:06PM (Unverified) said

I dont play in EvE myself but I always find the stories and the drama that come out of the game far better than anything developers have ever created for us in theme parks. If more games allowed room to create these sorts of structures while still offering the theme park option....I imagine it'd be quite entertaining but I dont think anything can ever match the level of EvE.

Hopefully we'll hear some new interesting story of the GoonWaffe going after some sweet justice on their defacto Goonswarm leader..then again ... one can never really predict what those guys will do. No doubt they're already planning some interesting tactics for STO's pvp areas.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:06PM UnSub said

There's no drama like EvE drama.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:06PM Cinnamoon said

• Half a heart
I don't even understand why Massively covers this sort of thing. Guilds and alliances are a dime a dozen in every game; megalithic communities explode on a daily basis everywhere. I don't care for the drama garbage in games I AM playing let alone others, and it's certainly not newsworthy when Some Dude decides to screw over his mates.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:32PM (Unverified) said

Because EVE is a sandbox game where you (the player) makes their own fun and things of this sort are perfectly legal within the game. Did you know that Guild Bank theft in World of Warcraft is against the ToS and is bannable? Ya, you can get banned in WoW if you take someone's 'precious' objects. In EVE Online, it's a legitimate way to play the game and topple other corporations from the inside out.

I guess the thing about it is that the game is more open and free and it's the way players have essentially formed the game for themselves. Lowsec right now is mostly owned by a handful of large alliances, but when the game came out it was all free for all and control of it was scattered between hundreds of corporations. The game evolved as the player base wielded it to.

It's alot more interesting to hear "Big corporation alliance X toppled corporation alliance Y and now controls all of their 8 sectors and stations" than to hear something like "Big boss X was first killed by guild Y" when eventually it will be killed hundreds of thousands of times more by players (essentially a STATIC FIGHT). The corporation/alliance battles of EVE are far more dynamic, some are 'once-in-a-lifetime' events that'll never come again.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:49PM GaaaaaH said

This is a major alliance ingame and the effects could be widely felt

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 10:26PM BelShamharoth said

Just think of it this way. Prior to a couple days ago, all of Stranglethorn Vale, Elwyn Forest, and Goldshire were owned by one guild. These 3 zones are also all free-for-all pvp flagged, including the major towns, including Stormwind. Then, the guild controlling a massive chunk of some of the most popular territory in-game screwed up their guild settings, were betrayed by their guildmaster, and were set upon by thousands of other players they'd managed to piss off so many times in so many ways there hasn't been a word invented yet to describe it.

Then, imagine that ingame assets can only be accessed from the bank you originally deposited them in, and that you can be ganked and have all your assets yoinked off your cold, dead corpse.

Finally, imagine that all this happened on one gigantic shard, and that this shard is the only shard, and thus affects every single player of the game, and not just one small subset playing on one of hundreds of shards.

All of this is why EVE gets this type of coverage. WoW.com blogs about when a guild gets a world-first PVE endgame kill. This type of activity is EVE's endgame, thus it gets reported on by Massively, mainly because Weblogs Inc/AOL/whoever doesn't run a dedicated EVE blog(but they should :D.)

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014