Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:09PM Devilstower said

The biggest problem with that variety of missions is that they're all too easy. Nothing in the first 15 levels makes you think for a moment about how to best use your abilities. You don't have to plan ahead, and you don't have to find a team mate (in fact, scaling of instances often gives you an advantage for going it alone).

In the part of the game where you should be learning, you don't have to do much but plow ahead and hammer the buttons.

The same is not true for PvP, especially for Fed players entering the arena against Klingons. Either get smart in a hurry or watch your ship turned to vapor -- a lot.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:15PM (Unverified) said

This is fantastic. Exactly what I needed. Please start working on one for Lt. Commander =D

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:32PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
a

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:33PM Randomessa said

"Nothing in the first 15 levels makes you think for a moment about how to best use your abilities."

I would disagree, but I'm willing to concede that you are just that awesome at hitting 1/2/3 and nevermind away team placement that planning your strategies provides you with no benefit whatsoever - even the benefit of feeling more involved in your own combat scenarios.

It is, however, *more fun* to plan out strategies, to set rally points for your away team, to take advantage of flanking bonuses and expose/exploit mechanics, to focus fire and to strategically retreat.

I guess I don't understand why people put in the least possible effort and then say the game doesn't challenge them. I don't need the game to force me to use anything; I just do, because it's there, it's fun to use, and I'm not striving for the path of least resistance.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:47PM Devilstower said

Oh, it's certainly more fun to attempt good strategy -- I went 12 levels before I lost my ship a single time (and even then it was plain bad timing of entering an instance in the midst of a fight) and I've only seen the respawn on my away team twice.

But I'd really like it if the game would help me a bit by being challenging. Yes, it's great to do your best, but nice if it occassionally DEMANDS your best. When I can enter combat with two other ships and those guys both are AWK while I take out all enemies, things are a bit too easy.

On a side note, I think it would be great if your ship's # got a little -A, -B, -C and so on to indicate how many times you had died. I would be fun to see how far you could go without losing a ship.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
What does any of this have to do with the Global Agenda: Conquest system?

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 4:13PM (Unverified) said

"Sector defense missions require you to complete enemy signal contacts, which will force you to group with other players."

Actually, you can turn off that auto-grouping if you want, it's an option in the social menu. You'll still be in the same instance with other players, but considering people never talk in party chat anyway, and their kills still count towards your quest (and vice versa) there's little reason to actually group up.

I've had it turned off ever since I was auto-grouped with 5 people for a mission that required beaming down to a planet and tricordering a few things (no combat whatsoever) and they'd run on ahead and completed the mission while I was still reading the quest dialogue. I didn't even get to participate because they were only thinking "gogogo finish it faster need more skill points!" =(

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 4:48PM Anatidae said

Grind grind grind!

Unfortunately, unlike WoW where the scenery at least changes as you go from killing boars to killing kobolds or whatever, in STO the variety seems to be less than City of Heroes. It gets very repetitive fast.

But really. It takes no guide to reach any level in STO. You travel (warp) to your mission (quest) and kill X number of people, collect Y number of glowies and maybe beam down to a very small land-map and do the same to humanoids instead of ships. Repeat, repeat, repeat...

Granted most modern MMOs lack variety of any type other than kill X and get Y missions, but STO felt even lighter than Champions to me on content.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:21AM (Unverified) said

Well, as far as space goes, yes its largely the same...as its space.

But on the ground however, I have yet to see the same planet environment or even the same indoor map used twice and I'm to level 20 and have done every mission available. MUCH better than City Of Heroes recycling the same 5 maps throughout the whole game.

Posted: Feb 8th 2010 9:27AM Snichy said

A agree with Tim. Space is space, however if it beautifully done and there are differences in the background in space but the ground maps are stunning (on my PC anyway) - its just a shame we cant explore and get to every part of every planet (which would be an exercise in impossibility for the programmers!)

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 6:50PM i2hellfire said

autofire...? mother f*cking....was that in the tutorial somewhere at all? i wouldn't put it past myself to have skipped over it. but dear god...@!*&@^

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 10:16PM Alpha Gamer said

Don't get too excited about the autofire, as soon as you get a ship with more than one turret on the front or back that you want to autofire you'll find that you cannot. They only let you do it for one forward slot and one backward.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 9:57PM (Unverified) said

I can't figure it out - why does there ALWAYS have to be whiners about everything? This is a kick booty game. AND You know it. It spanks every other game out there...we as geeks have been waiting for ever for this game. Now it is here, do you, must you cry about every little tribble thing? NO YOU DO NOT! Just play, be happy, Live long and prosper. IT is just a game. It is not nor will it be canon. So there.

I love it - but I wish I had more time to play!

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 6:38AM (Unverified) said

This game is mindless and boring! All of the missions are the same and require no thought at all. There is no challenge (or death penalty). It's just walk there, scan this, go there, kill that, repeat ad infinitium. YAWN.

There is no need to: "plan out strategies, to set rally points for your away team, to take advantage of flanking bonuses and expose/exploit mechanics, to focus fire and to strategically retreat" !!!

I wish there was a need for strategy! There is so much that could/should have been implemented!

N.F.G.E.!

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 10:04AM (Unverified) said

Just a reminder that at Commander, you're going to want to turn off auto-fire, as the mechanics for combat change with the tier3 ships.

Basically at that point phasers use up power so if you're just auto-firing like mad, you'll run out of power. Tier1/2 ships do not consume power for phasers.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 9:23AM (Unverified) said

They do use up power, its just that you have so few of them they never get very low. All phasers use up 10 weapons power per shot, but with only 2 it never goes down. Wait until you get 5-8...

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 10:22AM (Unverified) said

Weird, I don't think my power has ever dropped after firing a phaser. I watched, too, and if I have, say, 100 power to weapons, it never goes to 90 or 80 if I fire.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

Nice guide. I picked up a few things I'd missed and I've been playing since closed beta. Then again they were altering things right up until the last minute, in fact after then too!.