Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 8:17AM MrGutts said

I know massively is trying to put something into context by posting STO pictures and being it's going to be the only new AAA title out this year.

But damn, you guys are just adding fuel to the flames right now.

It is funny that you ask that question because I remember seeing a discussion going on in the main forums about how god damn slow Tier 1 in STO is to level and also how un-rewarding it is?

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 8:47AM J Brad Hicks said

I don't even understand the mindset behind trying to race to the end of an MMO. Seriously. This is doubly true when an MMO has just launched, because even if the end-game is fully implemented (and it isn't in STO, and Cryptic doesn't pretend that it is)? Even if it were, it would be (a) built with the same technology as the earlier part of the game and (b) built more quickly, in a hurry, more sloppily, to meet an on-rushing deadline. Rushing past the best-built parts of an MMO to get to the worst-built parts seems actively deranged, to me.

My latest theory is that I blame console game rentals, which conditioned people to think that what they're supposed to do with any game is finish it as fast as humanly possible so that they can return it to the store and get on to the next game. But if you apply that same logic to an MMO, you're missing literally all of the fun. You're skipping all of the stuff that there is to do, and then complaining that there isn't anything to do.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 8:51AM (Unverified) said

I won't lie, some of the quests in STO are rather ho-hum, some might even say boring. Remember killing rats in EQ? This can be worse. But it's new and maybe Cryptic needs more time to figure out what they are doing content wise. A lot of it feels like a grind fest. To be fair though, I'm a huge Start Trek nerd so the IP is what's holding on to me. I got my TOS Constitution class cruiser with my Gamestop retail key yesterday and I was a happy camper all day.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 9:35AM (Unverified) said

I'm going to reply to Mookow, and not in the way most would likely expect:

Mookow - aside from calling it Start Trek (shame! hehe) - I'm glad you realise STO for what it is, but even so you are having fun with the IP.

Yes, I'm the first to yabber on about Cryptic and their evil ways but as I've said before, if at the end of the day there are folks who are having fun being able to participate in a Star Trek universe despite the underhanded and frankly disgusting business practices of the company behind it, then that's worth something for sure.

Yes, it's a shallow and poorly executed title (no surprises there) but if it means that a fan can dip in and have an hour of fun amongst their busy IRL schedule, then all power to them.
(Although I hope you didn't fall prey to the Lifetime offer, and one would think there are plenty of single-player Trek games for that).

My beef is with what was promised, what was hyped, and how that information was used to sucker-punch customers of the product right up until now - and in fact ongoing no doubt (by dangling more carrots).

My hope is that one day activities and business practices such as the ones displayed by Cryptic are actually flatly outlawed.

In the mean time, I'm guessing that they'll instead learn their lesson come the next budget meeting when subs are gone..

Hrm - I wonder where Roper would go next? Reckon anyone would employ him after HGL, CO, and now this?

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 9:35AM Stormwaltz said

Honestly, I can't remember a time I raced to anything in an MMORPG.

I'm the sort who goes back and does all the grey quests I missed the first time through.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 10:14AM jpkustra said

I went from almost spending $60 to $0 in one beta experience in this game. Hey... brakes are important too!

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 10:50AM (Unverified) said

I've learned to never damn a game for it's beta. I think the reasons are obvious. And I think that you should give the devs time to complete/polish the game. In almost all cases 3-6 months down the line the game is a much better product, and you would probably enjoy it.

Like the bizarre foods guy always says "Don't knock something until you've tried it TWICE"

Gotta give something that might've been off-putting at first a bit of time to grow on you - still wait a few months before taking that second bite.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 11:01AM jpkustra said

I wish I could agree with that philosophy but that doesn't easily apply to something you have to spend your money on to try. Spending $60 only to say "Yup. Still hate it" makes no sense.
Maybe I'm old school but when you get into an open beta right before it's supposed to launch, the game isn't going to drastically change for the better in a short period of time.
I can admit when a game is good but just not my style. WoW has a lot to offer. However, I can't get into it for some reason. STO has absolutely nothing to offer me except a cool customization screen. I had that on CO and it was downhill once I got into the game.
I'm glad you're enjoying it but neither myself or my other MMO friends will be playing this. They came out with the same experience as I did... not a good one!

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 11:47AM (Unverified) said

How are you enjoying anything is you speed through it? My first WoW toon took me a good 7 months to level to 60 just as Blizz released BC... dangit! Granted I played rather casually at first.

So far with STO.... I think I'm still in the starting area, so to speak. One shouldn't watch 2 hrs of LOST and try to play a new MMO. I've already been frustrated with mobs re-spawning pretty quickly while I'm trying to read incoming transmissions and figuring out what icon to press. lol. I have no clue what everyone's complaining about with Cryptic.. guess I missed the news monkey there. =/

But I'm having fun being confused and totally noobing it up.. it's been a while. "Sorries I bumped into yer ships lol"

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 12:44PM (Unverified) said

Dawneb, glad your having fun but talk to me in a couple weeks when you've done what feels like the exact same mission over and over and over again.

The variety of the "Episodes" is aweful at best, the design of the game was rushed and its pretty blatent once you get a few weeks into it.

Does anyone know what City of Heroes was successful? Its because Cryptic SCRAPPED their original designs for powers and travel and all sorts of things b/c during beta they realized they'd built a VERY flawed system, they figured out something better and ran with it. They originally wanted CoH to be just like Champions, totally free to take whatever powers you want, they then realized it was nothing but players either gimping themselves or becoming uberbuilds, there was little in the way of a happy medium. They've designed systems in CO and STO that are flawed, repetitive and not engaging once the 'newness' wears off your met with the same thing over and over again. There's nothing varied in the combat its turn your phasers towards the enemy and press fire, all the other options don't do enough difference to bother with them during combat. They should have gotten them into the players hand a year ago, realized how utterly terrible this stuff was and tried again.

CoH was in beta for what, nearly 2 years?

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 11:23AM (Unverified) said

I recall playing World of Warcraft leveling my 2nd char (A Hunter) and killing mobs and doing quests til I reached max level.

Took me about 2 months to do it but I had enough materials to power craft Engineering from 1 to 450 in 2 hours flat. Took everything I had and I even spent over 1k gold doing it. But I got it done!!!

That was FUN!!!!

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 1:30PM (Unverified) said

In response to the third sentence of the article, Global Agenda has also just released.

As for my speed record, I think I had the first lvl 70 blood elf priest on my server. I also tend to grind crafting out pretty quickly. It's never really a race for me, though. I don't really notice these things unless people point them out.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 1:33PM (Unverified) said

I've been playing WoW for 3-4 years now, before that it was Diablo 1 & 2, and I've looked at a few other MMO's (free and pay), and guess what, grinding is what it's all about. Even way way back to Eye of the Beholder, Balders Gate kind of RPG's, heck, Dragon Warrior on the NES, it's always a slow and sometimes painful repetitive grind to get your character better armor, skills, etc. in order to reach uberness.

It's not really a new concept and not one I'm going to complain about. I assumed all this before I even bought it. =)

As long as they keep the new content rolling in like Blizz then I'll be a happy camper. I play these MMO's with my husband and friends, the antics and trials we go through is what "makes" the game for all of us.

If you're not enjoying it, try being more social??

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 1:57PM Cicadymn said

Hey look it's that weird X shaped comet/asteroid thing that the Hubble telescope captured!

Quality viral advertisement if you ask me.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 2:40PM (Unverified) said

I once made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 3:19PM (Unverified) said

Fastest leveling?

Star Wars Galaxies
3 Hours 0-90 in crafting.

This is after the NGE was instituted and before they changed crafting.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny