Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:31AM Mr Angry said

I'd just like to add, while STO might be attractive to the casual or bored MMO player, it really isn't a very good game, with gaping holes in content and a general polish of unprofessionalism all round.

I don't think Massively will be publishing too more of their motivational STO pieces in future, I was going to say it's unfinished, but a further deep dive by myself and many others has determined it's just a poor design too.

Best thing a WoW player can do is open up their WoW launcher and download the awesome new ICC content. The grass is not always greener, and in this case, STO is, to be frank, a turd. Fans of Blizzard's creation will be horribly let down the state of this game.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 11:10AM (Unverified) said

If you put vanilla WoW up against what we have now, it would look like a turd too, sheesh give it awhile before you call it a failure, it's brand-new.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 11:32AM Mr Angry said

I gave it 3 months in open/closed beta....

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 11:19AM (Unverified) said

At least you had a months worth of content in Vanilla WoW.

Scholomance was great anyway :-)

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 2:30PM (Unverified) said

Except that STO is not competing with WoW-At-Launch, it's competing with WoW-Now. I'm tired of the excuse that "WoW was this bad at launch". Developers of MMOs have now had years to learn from the experience of WoW and other MMO launches.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

Does the world need another game that "feels" familliar to WoW.
"Nothing is too terrible different from WoW"

Another WoW clone.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 11:50AM Scuffles said

Lol WoW players guide to any game:

Buy the game, Create an account, Login

Complain endlessly about the game and how it isn't WoW and it should be WoW but even if it was it would still be inferior to WoW because WoW invented the internet =P

Note that the servers are laggy (because of the eighty gajillion WoW players bored to tears with playing WoW all the time) and complain about that until your blue in the keyboard.

When your 30 days is up leave the game safe in the knowledge that everyone is aware that the game in question isn't WoW (which is probably why the other players were there in the first place anyhow)

If your one of the fifty well behaved and pleasant WoW tourists I apologize to you and you alone but it gets so old having to close down your chat because its and endless stream of whining and moaning about how a game I'm playing that isn't WoW ....... isn't WoW

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 6:54PM Crsh said

That's pretty much exactly what happens with just about any new MMO that hits the market, and it's been going on for years - Vanguard, Wahammer, Age of Conan, Aion, etc.

That's exactly why I've stopped buying a new MMO on launch day, the first 30 days are absolute hell in-game due to the locusts and whiners who just spend their time trashing the game.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 12:05PM (Unverified) said

I do not think anyone wants or expected STO to be like WoW.

They just did not expect it to be a huge pile of steaming shit.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 12:43PM (Unverified) said

To each their own but I found STO to be incredibly boring. It is heavily instanced and the space combat is the worst. I'll agree with an earlier comment that for the casual player it may be a good way to kill a couple hours but for anyone else, it is a painful experience.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 1:08PM Alpha Gamer said

"There are 50 levels in STO...Admiral 1 through 10." - Adam Holisky

There are only 45 levels at launch. They said they were capping Admiral at 5 when they added the skill cap, and they are calling it "Rear Admiral" so they can add more after that.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

I'm guessing you guys are going to make a LOTRO guide to STO?? How about a ROM, AoC, WAR, SWG, FF11, GW and all the other MMOs out there? Because you know... WOW is not the only MMO out there, so to be fair, make one for each. Not doing it makes you look like its all about WOW in this site. Its not a WOW.com article last I read, its a Massively one. What will people of those MMOs do without your guidance? They can't possibly play STO without knowing the difference... :/

I'm kinda fed up of all this guides trying to make it sound like all MMO are the same as WOW. I like to think of all of them as unique. I would hate for SW TOR to destroy WOW, then have guides that say "SW TOR player's guide to (thinks of a MMO that will prob come out after SW TOR)... DCU". Not fair to the other games.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 2:20PM (Unverified) said

Newsflash: WoW has the highest subscription base of any MMO.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 3:13PM (Unverified) said

The difference is if you added up the player base for ALL of those games you would still be >half wow's numbers. The reason they make wow guides for new games? The flat majority of the mmo player base have played wow extensively. More popular doesn't always mean better (Clay Aiken anyone??) but in most cases using the most commonly understood benchmark for comparisons is just logical. If they made a "AoC players guide to ST:O" how many people would read it? A dozen? 4 not counting Funcom employees?
WoW bashing has been a standard meme on game forums for years now, just like the "hip" European kids trash on the US. We call it small mans syndrome, picking a fight with the biggest guy in the room will make even the smallest most pathetic guy seem at least a little tough. Most people smart enough to get out of tutorials know in their mind that no game is going to be comparable out of the gate, it is just unfair to expect that. But time and time again any game that launches ends up with forums full pro and anti wow troll feeding frenzies, and game sites are well aware of this. They even feed it as it draws in hit counts and post counts, which can then be put on a spreadsheet and shown to potential advertisers.
So the end result is grumpy ol bastards like me have to read through pages of this crap to try and find a few nuggets of actual fact why I should or shouldn't buy the game. So there hehe ;)

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 2:05PM (Unverified) said

My point is that, a brand new game like STO is going to look ordinary compared to a game like WoW that already has years of added content.

Give it some time.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 4:19PM (Unverified) said

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Maybe a while down the road Cryptic will fail again but who knows. Comparing any new MMO to WoW in its current state is just dumb. WoW is a great game but they had issues at the beginning too. Blizzard just outshines all other companies when it comes to content updates (besides Turbine who does a fine job with LOTRO and D&D content).

I'll give it some time before I call it a steaming pile of shit.

The beta was ok and it is a casual gamer's game, but it wasn't the worst MMO I've ever played. I may be in the minority but I thought it was an 'ok' game. Not great, but ok. Released a tad bit early IMO.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 7:56PM (Unverified) said

The WoW player's guide to STO.

Don't

Just Don't.

Unless you like a non-immersive, almost solo play game with clunky ground combat, instances for everything and a board game for sector space. Yes you can spend endless time in customisation as well as taking your brave new starship into a new adventure only to be told the instance will reset in a few minutes. However, none of these things may bother you, in which case go for it - it's just as bad/good as COH and CO, but I think it does a disservice to the Star Trek lore.

Posted: Feb 4th 2010 4:21AM (Unverified) said

jcgooch - just so you know i was bashing STO's content not WoW's.

I did not play WoW on launch day but was there before any new content was released.

It felt like you got good money's worth from your free month in WoW. STO is far from that.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM