Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:18AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I started the Star Trek Beta, but I didn't actually get very far... I hated space combat. It just seemed that ships move really slow. By the time you get in range of your mobs, it seems like you've spent half an hour getting there and someone else killed it anyway. Very frustrating.

I'd like it a lot better if you could leave out the ships.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:25AM (Unverified) said

u prolly didnt use the full impulse drive then

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:16AM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately they don't emphasize full impulse enough (at all?) in the tutorial. The second most annoying interplayer aspect of the game I've encountered is when you end up in an open instance and you're the only one who seems to know about full impulse. (I won't mention the first -- if you've been in the game at all you know it and are probably already sick of it.)

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 3:27PM ultimateq said

"Unfortunately they don't emphasize full impulse enough (at all?) in the tutorial."

It's true, my brother had to come over and then pointed out that I wasn't using full impulse. I face palmed

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 4:27PM (Unverified) said

If you actually read the tutorial parts, it tells you about full impulse before you're done with the tutorial. The first space part where you have to fly between the ships and rescue the survivors doesn't, but when you leave that place to go fight the Borg it tells you almost immediately.

I remember this because I was wondering if ALL of the space battles were going to be this slow, and then when they told me about Full Impulse, I thought "ohhh, okay, that makes everything better."

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:24AM (Unverified) said

i beta tested STO its a fun game fly your ship customize alot of things but to me it seems a bit cut and paste much like champions online (only a few really good looking cobinations). Your ship gets upgraded every few ranks down the line and you can make it look special but mostly seems everyone gets the same ship unless in endgame you get new types. We were only alowed to go to rank 16 which is far from max level. what i liked about it was that you could truly be your own ship no need for grps if you went into a fleet action chances are a bunch of other solo players would be qued up as well waiting for the next reset. It is really a casual game if you however run with a grp of friends its great but if just your away team plan on investing alot of officer points into many different skills other than thier bridge skills to help in space combat. What i dont like is the fact you must get to rank 6 before you can start a klingon character. I didnt not play one cause i had already gotten to learn how to use a starfleet ship even tho i knew it would be basicaly the same thing but who wants to start all over. Its this that will lead me to believe there will be a population imbalance for pvp or klingons will be a stronger ship to compensate for the lack of compatriots. Overall if you want a solo/random grp fun this game is for you its easy to pick up.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:26AM (Unverified) said

You better tell the WoW players the majority of them will have to upgrade their computers/video cards.....

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:29AM (Unverified) said

You are not kidding. I can run WoW with relatively high settings, and was suffering hell on STO. Had to had most of my settings almost all the way down.

For those interested, I have a 9600GT.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 4:21PM airmikee said

That is the single biggest reason no other MMO has come close to toppling WoW. Blizzard made the game to run on so many different computer configurations that it can be played by nearly everyone.

The only game that will ever be able to kill WoW, will have to follow in those footsteps, otherwise those people who can't upgrade their computers every year will not be switching to a new game.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:26AM (Unverified) said

STO is awesome. If you've ever wanted to captain a ship, you've been waiting for this game. Like the article says: WOW has devolved into waiting too long for more content and PvP.

Unlike what the article says: It is not too heavily instanced. Other Starships are everywhere, but not so much that it doesn't feel like you're flying around in the vastness of space.

Also, to disagree with the article: It can be a WoW replacement. My WoW subscription has lapsed and I'm not returning.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:00AM (Unverified) said

Not too instanced? What the heck game where you playing? Everything about STO is instanced and I mean EVERYTHING. Sector space - check 50 people before it instances off to another isntance. Space port - check instances off after 50 people. Missions - Check every mission is instanced unless you tell it to auto group for missions and even then it instances off after you get a group togeather. Enter Admirals Office - Check instances off after 25 people enter it.

So please tell us what is not instanced in the game? Heck even PvP is instanced to small arenas of people.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:33AM (Unverified) said

To boldly go where no one has gone before....

....instance no. 237 of

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:40AM (Unverified) said

Do WoW Players realy need a guide to everything? Are they lost without someone telling them how to play? ;-)

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 12:46PM (Unverified) said

Hey, can someone write a guide for me to get back to wow.com? Im lost...

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:59AM (Unverified) said

"The environment is heavily instanced, perhaps too much so. While it's nice that you always have the mob available you need to kill, it's also unfortunate that you rarely get to see other players except in groups, sector space, and at space stations. In many ways I want to randomly run into other players. It makes me feel less alone and more like I'm part of a global community, even if I'm not directly interacting with them."

Cause you know...people just randomly run through your daily heroics and raids...oh wait...

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:20AM (Unverified) said

You do not spend all your time in an instance in WoW so you are likely to see people out and about. Especialy when a game has just launched.

Get off your fanboi spoapbox. Massvely.com have already been far more positive about the game then it deserves.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:03AM (Unverified) said

I played in the beta towards the end, and while the game is interesting, I am not sure if it will draw me away from WoW. (Please note - I am not a hardcore 'raider'. Casual raider, at best. My WoW guild runs 10 mans, and we're stuck on Saurfang. :) )

Cryptic's horrible implementation of 'endgame' in City of Heroes and City of Villians (i.e. NOTHING) is why I am shying away from STO. In CoH and CoV once you reached level 50 and did Hamidon until your powers gleamed gold, there was nothing to do. There still isn't, so many years later. (Yes, I know there is 'crafting' and such now, etc. But no end game raids like WoW has.)

STO looks to be a lot of fun for a while. The customizations alone will keep you occupied for hours and hours. But I don't see that there will be anything at the upper level to keep me around, the way WoW does.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:31AM (Unverified) said

I'll worry about endgame when I get there. Remember that Mauradon was "endgame" for WoW once upon a time.

To the journey.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:17AM mdisloki said

"Is it worth checking out? Chances are you're pretty much done with Wrath at this point. There's the weekly raids and PvP content, but that's it for most players. People are looking for new games, and STO is certainly one that you can give a try; especially since other major titles like Cataclysm and Star Wars won't be coming out in the immediate future."

My thoughts exactly. So far I am really enjoying STO.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 10:30AM (Unverified) said

"There is a fully featured auction house, just like we have in WoW and any other modern MMO."

..except its not.
You can't sort buy anything other than the generic type of item, making it an exercise in frustration to browse. No price filters, no rarity filters.. actually no filters at all. Just a 'Wall Of Text Results' filter. It's fairly awful.

But hey! I hear they're adding in more functionality to bring it up to par - it'll be available in the C-Store soon. (oh I kid, I kid..)