Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 6:54PM Sunlover said

This was fun to read =)

I recently began playing EQ2 again and found this to be both entertaining and educational! I originally tried EQ2 over a year and a half ago, but my then PC couldn't handle Norrath as well as it did Azeroth, so after a month, it was back to WoW. I know, I know...

Anyhow, I just started the 14 day free trial and made a couple characters on Antonia Bayle. I have been having a blast so far, enjoying myself so much that I am thinking of picking up the new Sentinel's Fate expansion pack when it releases. I think it's great that SOE gives you the current expansion and every other one before it in one nice, well-priced package. That, or I'm going to grab the EQ2 Complete Collection for $20 and take advantage of the 60 days of game time (awesome)! Also, Battlegrounds this month!

Looks like Norrath might become my new permanent home.

At least until Cataclysm arrives! >.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 9:19PM Justpotatoes said

Thank you for doing these bits on EQ2. I've been thinking about giving EQ2 a try, since I'm feeling the need for something different and challenging, where I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing. EQ2 seems complex enough to keep me busy learning for a long time.

I'm looking forward to reading more!

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 12:07AM (Unverified) said

Food and drink last up to 5 hours and 22 minutes (or even longer with racial bonuses) and can also have other effects (stat bonuses, dps boosts, defensive buffs, etc). They're not just 30 minute auto-renewing buffs.

AA's are gained by looting certain treasure items, completing quests, and killing certain named monsters, as well as via exploration and the AAXP slider.

I realize you're just trying to give a taste to a newbie, but is it really that overwhelming to give complete information?

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 7:36AM GreenArmadillo said

Also, I'm 99% sure that the AA slider does NOT default to any non-zero number. I have a new character I created during the bonus weekend 2-3 weeks back, and her slider is still set to 0%.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 11:26PM wjowski said

There's really nothing different enough in gameplay between EQ2 and WoW to warrant a guide. If you can play one, you shouldn't have many problems with the other.

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 2:43PM (Unverified) said

I used to play WoW and came to EQ2 two years ago, a few things did hit me as very different.

Firstly, no global cooldown, as a button masher (prot warriors generally are) I found it hard to get used to it, but when I did I found no global cooldown + ability to queue abilities means no lag between abilities.

Combat arts, you learn only a basic free version when you get to the right level, but you can buy better ones on the broker or find adventuring (adept and master). Tradeskilled versions are also available as Journeyman and Expert, the difference with these is that they can slowly be researched by a special NPC after level 20 (it takes time but is free).

Housing, when you get one and buy a marketplace board to sell items on, don't forget to buy bags/boxes to put in the 2 slots a basic house offers.

Mentoring, a key feature for EQ2, this allows you to downlevel to someone elses level (special chrono mages also allow you to do this solo for a price), and because of this there is no boosting in EQ2, if something is grey (either you or one of your party members is too hgih level) then no one gets any rewards and bosses don't drop good loot. You have to work for your treasure!

AA points, the best way to earn them is to do unique things, discover an area for the first time, kill a named for the first time, loot a valuable item for the first time or complete a quest. You can use the AA slider, but questing etc is still the best way to earn them (I use the AA slider mainly just to stop an area going grey so I can complete the quests I want and earn AA and XP, grey quests only give AA points).

Posted: Feb 9th 2010 2:27PM (Unverified) said

One of the biggest things people should understand when transitioning is Queuing your attacks. As another commenter noted already, there is no global cooldown timer in EQ2. Instead they allow you to get your next Combat Art/Spell prepared to autocast by queuing it up. It is done by simply clicking the next ability after the first one. So you want to make sure to do this constantly so you can minimize the time between attacks.

If you are going to expand on this any more I would suggest getting into details about the differences in itemization, notably the mods on the gear and the fact that the way gear is obtained is quite different in the two games. Sure there are plenty of overlapping similarities there too as one would imagine, but in EQ2 there is a large amount of rare bosses that spawn in the overland zones. You will want to keep your eyes open for these bosses because not only do they drop loot, but potentially extremely valuable/useful "Master" quality spells.

I agree with the sentiment that anyone who plays wow can easily get into EQ2, but it is still good to understand the differences before jumping into Norrath. Coming from someoen who has enjoyed both his time in Norrath as well as Azeroth, I wish those of you delving into EQ the best of luck. Its a great game with plenty to do at all levels. Im not sure if/when Im going to return myself, but the upcoming Battlegrounds certainly interests me.

Now if anyone were to be switching from WOW to EQ1.....then you probably need a novel to explain that transition. :p