Posted: Feb 1st 2010 10:06AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Anyone who plays this game and considers themself a hardcore MMO gamer should be ashamed. We are long past the days where effort and quality were sought after by developers and now in an era of half-assery and appealing to the lowest common denominator, just to get a quick buck. The exploitation of this genre (mainly because of cash shops and microtransations) is becoming more and more widespread thanks to companies like Cryptic, and now features that are common (or were common) such as auction houses and crafting will require a monthly fee. Its disgusting that people can rationalize paying for a 10 v. 10 third person shooter monthly. You'd get more value from a game like TF2 or CoD4 for less than the cost of global agenda.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 11:04AM Seraphina Brennan said

You know you don't have to pay the subscription to play, right?

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 11:05AM archer75 said

The 10v10 game is free. There is no monthly subscription for it.

And personally, I love the game.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 11:24AM Droniac said

When looking at it as just a MMOG, which their marketing implies, then I can see your point. But after playing it for a while (beta, headstart), it's obvious that this is no Planetside or World War 2 Online.

It's best to describe it as a mixture of TF2 with 10SIX. The base game is this cartoony teambased shooter with character customization, classes, items, levels, skills and some gimmicky elements (like the jetpack). I had my doubts about the quality of the gameplay, but I'm actually enjoying it more than TF2 (it's not as casual as TF2, fortunately) and I could see myself playing it more than Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2.

The other part is the paid content, which would be a total rip-off if it were just auction houses and crafting. But the global conquest type gameplay sounds a lot like this awesome old (semi-)MMOG called 10SIX. And if it's embraced like the PvP in that game, with it's awesome political landscape and incredibly intense PvP fights, then it would definitely be worth paying a monthly fee. The simultaneous 10vs10 matches with direct influence on one another certainly sounds like an incredible improvement over regular clanmatches.

In fact, Global Agenda's conquest system sounds like a massive improvement over ordinary clanmatches. It gets rid of nearly every negative aspect of arranging clanmatches, which is something any experienced clanleader can attest to and appreciate. No need to search for opponents, no need to arrange game servers, no need to arrange voice chat, no hassle with annoying no-shows, or hours of waiting for members to show up or server problems to be sorted. How sweet is that?

Furthermore the cost is marginally more than you would have for a clanserver, webserver and voice server, which any halfway decent clan requires in any other shooter. And in return you receive significantly more than just those three things. So from an experienced competitive FPS player's/clanleader's perspective, it's not all that expensive and shows potential.

Best of all: it's free to try out the paid content for the first month. If the paid content is no good, or not worth paying a monthly fee for, then at least it's still a decent third person shooter with superior character customization and itemization.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 3:57PM (Unverified) said

shhhhhhhhhhh.....

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 10:25AM (Unverified) said

This might be the very first time I've ever publically said anything bad about any game ever, but...

Global Agenda is a terrible game. Seriously.

I played in the beta after pre-ordering on Steam, and it was so bad that I asked for a refund, which I received.

This game is not an MMO by any stretch of the imagination. Global Agenda's 10 vs. 10 matches have a lower total player count than the vast majority of single-player games with lazily tacked-on multiplayer features.

If you are really itching for a FPS with a massive player count, pick up MAG for the PS3. It is a far superior FPS experience, with 128 vs. 128 matches, with no monthly fee.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 10:32AM (Unverified) said

God forbid someone actually enjoys this game, eh, zrektt? I play(ed) TF2 and CoD4 and I am enjoying Global Agenda more than those two. Though I would somewhat agree that the monthly price is a bit much (in price). If they lowered it a bit, I would probably jump on it, but at it's current price, it's a little too much for too little.

I've been playing beta for the past month and have come around to really enjoying it and will at least be playing the "free" part of it for sure. Though at first the game seemed a little disappointing, but the more I have played, the more I liked it. Not sure why, but that's how it went...

So I shall see you there tonight, Shawn and/or Seraphina!

- Blindside (aka Antestor from the DDO group :D )

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 10:41AM (Unverified) said

Im sure the game has it merits. I myself haven't had a chance to play it. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't market it as an MMORPG and weren't trying to scam its players for every cent by selling features that are a staple in other games of the genre they claim to be a part of. At least they didn't sell lifetime subs for $240 like some other recent MMOs though.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 11:07AM archer75 said

Zrektt, Actually the free game gives you more than is available in other FPS games such as TF2. And with no monthly sub. You get far more with Global Agenda.

And if you do subscribe you get more, this link explains some of what is included in the subscription model. http://www.massively.com/2010/01/14/faq-that-all-about-global-agendas-conquest-mode/

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 1:25PM Evy said

Didn't anyone tell you you're not allowed to like it if everyone else doesn't like it, too? ;)

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 10:51AM (Unverified) said

You do not have to pay extra if you do not want to. You can still enjoy most of the game.

What you are paying for is the presistent world pvp fights. Does not mean you are locked out of the game.

I remember hearing that the paying part of the game is not locked out until March or April so pleanty of chance to try it out. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 11:48AM (Unverified) said

Why the hell are some people so angry about compensating devs for their hard work on a game? If you don't like it then GTFO =)

See you guys online at 8 tonight!

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
arpeggiate...did you really mention MAG? Wow, its very hard to take your comment serious on how much that game sucks.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 12:42PM Damn Dirty Ape said

What's wrong with MAG? I'm really enjoying it so far.

Of course I am also interested in GA and will definitely get it someday. Unfortunately I just don't have the time now.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 1:36AM (Unverified) said

Having logged a decent bit of time between the beta and the headstart, I can agree that Global Agenda is definitely NOT a MMORPG.

And you know what? That's good.

Seriously, it's refreshing to see independent studios producing games that can't immediately be summed up with "WoW in space" or "WoW with furries" or "WoW with bad graphics." GA is one of the most polished games with this level of originality to come along in a while. Sure, it's similar to TF2 in that a) there are classes and b) you shoot at things, but that's about it. GA isn't even an FPS, it's a TPS (third person shooter).

I can't guarantee I'll be paying the subscription fee a month or two down the line when they start charging for conquest mode, crafting, and the rest, but I expect I'll still be playing in some capacity.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 1:31PM (Unverified) said

Well i kinda bought it on impulse and I'm not regretting it. The comparison with TF2 is appropriate, as game dynamics is as refined as in Valve's game, but there is an additional layer of customizable skills, talent trees and personalized looks. A fine shooter with some MMO elements sprinkled in.

Now the main course, AvA I can't speak of be cause I haven't played it, but if they allow a political landscape to develop and support it properly, we can expect some pretty nasty and interesting stories to develop, much like in eve, with confrontations not being ship-to-ship but as 10v10 encounters. The AvA meta-game could add much needed meaning for what otherwise are random CTF-esque scenarios with little personality to them.

Gameplay-wise the GA is impressive, but they need to take a page on immersion from games like WoW or ME2 in order to make their world something more than a finely distilled arcade experience. Worth the buy if you liked TF2, and promises great things to come if the developers put their storytelling hats on now that they've aced gameplay.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 1:48PM Tizmah said

I'd love to play this game. I fairly enjoyed it, though I don't think it's better than TF2 of course. I can't justify paying the price just yet, nor the optional sub which I know I would want anyway if I started playing. I mean, it doesn't offer much more than other FPS's in my opinion or rather, it doesn't offer anything I can't do without to be honest.

I'll wait for a steam sale! :)

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 1:57PM Psychotic Storm said

Well from the little I played.

Pros
Nice game mechanics
Interesting design
Fast action

Cons
Counter Intuitive
Badly Designed tutorial
(looks like) Most of the serious game like mechas is only geared for Agencies, there looks to be no place for Solo players or small agencies.

Overall I don't thing the subscription would be for me, I do not think the advantages of having one justify the cost, I would rather see more content geared towards solo players because I really do not fancy at the moment dedicating myself in any organised group of players. yes I do not want any responsibilities towards any (player) entity however slight they might be.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 6:22PM remover said

I excitedly preordered this against my better judgement. I was pretty excited about everything I saw and read about Global Agenda.

I excitedly played through the couple days of early access, getting my characters to the capped level of 10. There was a severe lack of content but it was early access and seemingly only intended as a small glimpse into what the game had to offer.

Fast forward to Monday, Feb 1st - Launch day!
I anxiously log in and what do I find?

It's all the same content as the early access preview days. NPCs intended to sell/trade with you that just stand there shouting at you to come do business with them, store fronts with closed doors... missing features... all of the markings that the game was never finished.

They lifted the level cap so you can level. I intend to give it a few days to see what happens, but so far this looks like a less finished CrimeCraft 2.0 - the redeeming factor being that the gameplay/matches themselves are actually fun and whatnot. Though if that's all one were to get from the game, TF2 offers a better polished experience.

I really hope they get this thing under control quickly. If it's like this in another 2 weeks, they'll be losing a lot of players, current or potential.

Right now it feels 1/2 finished, very beta-ish and I find myself thinking that I already owned enough capture-the-point FPS games that I paid significantly less for and enjoy just as much.

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 6:53PM Ohhlaawd said

I'd play it if it were a little cheaper, because the idea does genuinely intrigue me. I have been seriously burned on MMOs in the past (I was the one dude who bought Fury), and will probably get a bunch of friends to buy it when the price drops.

The event sounds like fun, sad I'm missing it!

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014