Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:07AM (Unverified) said

Yes, load screens are big deal breakers. Its deplorable that so many recent MMOs are very limited in the massive department. Cryptic Studios for example uses heavy instancing for CO and STO. What happened to the days where you could very well walk into town ready to sell your loot and there would be hundreds (more than two hundred) people there, even more than that if an enemy faction is attacking. Zoning like CO, STO, Aion, and Age of Conan eliminates immersion as well. I give kudos to EVE, Darkfall, and Fallen Earth for keeping everything open and seamless.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 1:29PM ultimateq said

On the other end of the spectrum is myself. Zones, and Loading screens are absolutely not a deal breaker with me. It does not break immersion for me. I can play and enjoy the game equally both with and without loading screens.

On one side a seamless world is very nice to have around, on the other side loading screens when traveling long distances seems to break the monotony of it all.

All the while typing this post, I am thinking of Everquest.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:08AM (Unverified) said

Oh I totally adore loading screens.
I 'm always looking for a door into a room just so I can go up to it and initiate a loading screen.
And then I simply *can't wait* to pick up the one item inside and 15 seconds later excitedly use the door again to exit the room and get a loading screen.

I'd be lost without them. Nothing says 'immersion' like a loading screen - all that pretty artwork, scrolling progress indicators, choosing Instance # 144356 with only 14 players in it..
..especially when the rest of my party are in Instance #'s 144357, 144358, 144359 & 144360.

..ah, heady days.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 11:15AM (Unverified) said

Brilliant, couldn't have said it any better.

Not that that will stop me from trying.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:08AM (Unverified) said

The loading screens of STO are the one thing that's bugging me the most actually. I love to have an open, accessible world without any artificial and unnecessary boundaries or interruptions.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2010 6:38AM (Unverified) said

And they seem to be getting slower as more players are online.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:14AM (Unverified) said

It depends on two things:

1. The length of load time
2. the size and scale of the zones.

Guild Wars has acceptable load times. Age Of Conan did not when I played.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 9:34AM dudemanjac said

Yeah. I can agree with that. As much as I would prefer tere were none, at least the loading screens in STO are not long. I barely have time to enjoy the picture most of the time.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:15AM (Unverified) said

No.... and every game has an instance system at some level. I disagree with people who continually say instances ruin the experience. It's a matter of taste and opinion....

BTW - I like STO and will be playing the game for quite sometime.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 9:42AM Aganazer said

What do instances have to do with it?

Fallen Earth has instances and no load screen. Amazing technology there.

Load screens completely ruined AoC and STO in my opinion.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 11:06PM ChromeBallz said

Actually, EVE is zoned, but not instanced. There's no loading screens between systems though, if the system isn't too heavily populated (less than ~200 players) the loading time is nearly instantaneous.

There's no instances whatsoever in that game either. Deadspace missions may seem like they're instanced, but they're not - Anyone good enough with probes can find you and kill you. The deadspace missions are still in the same 'space' as the rest of the players in that particular system.

If you're in Jita, you're in Jita, you will never be in Jita instance #34, no matter how many players are there.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:17AM Thorium88 said

I'll be definite about this and say, "yes and no".

Load screens aren't a deal-breaker in my decision to play a game, most video games have them to some extent. One learns to use the time to stretch a bit.

But I admit I prefer open worlds that feel like actual places. WoW does this very well, and EVE cleverly disguises its load screens as stargate jumps, so it *feels* like a seamless universe. Load screens ARE a deal-breaker if I'm wanting that kind of feeling.
I tried Champions and I'll try STO, but the choices in design of these games means I will be playing 'video game levels' and not in any virtual world.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:31AM Seffrid said

Loading screens have never bothered me and I certainly don't find them remotely game or immersion breaking. I have a decent enough system these days for them to clear very quickly, but even in the old days of EQ1 on a slow machine they never bothered or inconvenienced me. A lot of fuss about nothing in my view, probably symptomatic of the impatience increasingly found on the part of many MMO players these days.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:32AM (Unverified) said

YES! Load screens are a absolute deal breaker. I want a seamless environment at all times.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 1:57PM (Unverified) said

Load screens are an uninvited interruption of the players immersion .However if a game isn't claiming to be an RPG then they don't owe the players much in that department, but when a game is designed with role playing in mind I think devs should work to keep them out.

Most MMOs made today are not MMORPG, just MMO which is a different thing altogether

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:34AM (Unverified) said

Absolute deal breakers. I tried to play STO, I really did. After an hour I was only in the third "room" of the game, had nothing exciting at all and dreaded looking at my character info panel in fear it would cause a new loading screen.

Uninstall...

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:37AM (Unverified) said

I don't really care for them back to back or if I have to pass back and forth between them more than a couple times within a few minutes, but they're not really deal breakers.

I have however, stopped playing for the day because of it.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:43AM Renko said

Load screens every time I went through a door in Lord of the Rings Online was the first time they ever bothered me. I think I've just learned to tolerate them since then.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:48AM (Unverified) said

Yep, load screens in a modern MMO are pretty lame. Its especially annoying when it gets you killed.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 8:52AM Greyjoy said

World of Warcraft maybe considered an open seamless world but when you hit level cap its just a case of sitting around waiting for the Battleground/Random Dungeon or Arena instances to load

Don't really see the difference in that and the instancing set in Star Trek Online

I suppose the only time you experience the open seamless world is when you are levelling and that seems like an instance anyway as so few people level characters in WoW these days

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM