Posted: Jan 29th 2010 9:53PM GaaaaaH said

Hrm...

SO you send the ingame item to them, which they then convert to real cash, and buy a new one to replace it (possibly). In the sort term, there will be a shortage of the item, increasing prices.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 10:21PM Eamil said

No, the in-game item used is PLEX, short for Pilot's License Extension, which is an in-game item that can be purchased for real money and exchanged for play time. It has no other use.

Whether you paid for it in cash or isk, giving up a PLEX to CCP is effectively donating $15.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 10:26PM Eamil said

Fake edit: Having said that, it's entirely possible that some kind souls with a lot of isk and not a lot of real money will go around buying up PLEXes and donating them.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 10:44PM DevilSei said

I think that is why they chose to handle the donation in that way Wai. Not everyone has the money to spare to donate to a charity like this, but this way doesn't limit the charity from them. If they make a boatload of isk, they can convert that into a donation, and those who do have the money can convert it into a plex and that.

Hell, best thing to see is if people who may stock pile plexes (if that is possible) start selling them during this charity event for a cheaper price, or just donate it themselves.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 8:36AM GaaaaaH said

I know how the PLEX items work, I was merely speculating on how the trading value might react to the announcement.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 3:11AM (Unverified) said

This is wonderful. I'm one of those people without work right now and the only reason I can play EVE is due to PLEX. I don't really spend a lot of time playing but I can make isk relatively easy in the game and enjoy doing that. So being able to donate a PLEX for this cause is perfect for me.

Another reason I'll be a long time CCP fan.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 3:33AM MewmewGrrl said

When I first saw this I was like "Oh, another game company donating a few cents of your purchase to them to Haiti and making out like it's all for helping out." So many game companies are doing it, donating a tiny bit of your purchase to a Haiti charity while advertising trying to get you to buy their stuff saying it's going to benefit Haiti relief in some way. I was thinking that really if you want to do something to help you should donate your money directly, not just have a few cents of a purchase given to them. I guess every penny helps, so of course it's good of them to donate anything, but most of the donations are pretty small and make the company far more money than is donated.

But it's not that at all here. Using PLEX is a totally different thing and they are donating the whole value of it instead of a little bit. Seriously while a lot of game companies were giving like 5-10% of the purchase, they're giving 100% here, that's a big difference and actually is helping a lot more.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 12:26PM (Unverified) said

It's an ingame item and thus it is legal to scam.

I would just give my money directly to red cross.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 1:06PM Brendan Drain said

If you have money to donate, donating it to the red cross directly is always a good idea. But if you have a lot of spare ISK in EVE, you can buy PLEX off the market for ISK and then contract it to CCP. Since that's a 30 day PLEX that someone somewhere paid for with cash and it's not going to be added to anyone's account, CCP can donate the cash value of the PLEX without losing any money. For the player, it's exactly the same as donating the cash value of a PLEX to the red cross except they can buy the PLEX for ISK instead. I think that's a pretty nice way to let people help out.

Additionally, CCP has said that while scamming PLEX is generally allowed, it's NOT going to be tolerated for this particular campaign.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 2:42PM DrewIW said

"CCP regards any scamming attempts surrounding this effort to be morally reprehensible and they will be met with swiftest action."

Try again.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 3:48PM (Unverified) said

they made an exception to the scamming. How noble of them.

My guess is that players have already tried to use the Haiti disaster as an attempt to scam, probably forcing them to make this exception to the rule.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 4:05PM DrewIW said

Irrational paranoia and fearmongering? What are the odds?

As usual with these kinds of claims, let me know if you can actually find an example instead of just saying "Well I bet that..."

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 4:25PM (Unverified) said

here you go scumbag. This is just a few I found with a quick search.
I find your defense of scamming in EVE as a playstyle on one hand, then your doe eyed response that it doesn't happen...is kind of sad.

Just a few of them. Do a search on Haiti and you will come up with a few more. I'm sure these are all legit. Probably why CCP locked them.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 4:38PM DrewIW said

Point taken, although the 2nd link is quite obviously a joke.

You'll also note that both posts are immediately condemed by other posters, but I know that' doesn't support your "all EVE players are scumbags" agenda.

Is it that hard to actually find examples for your first post, or are you just in a rush to make your usual anti-EVE shouting?

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 8:36AM (Unverified) said

mpdivot, so anyone who disagrees with you is a scumbag? why are you so angry?

you should be happy that people in Haiti will be helped by gamers who can pay with in-game currency.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM