Posted: Jan 27th 2010 8:26AM (Unverified) said

The moment that sticks out of my mind from a RPG is from a old game on the Sega CD called Vay. You can play it now on your Iphone so that is cool because to find the game on Sega CD is hard to find.

In the game, you meet a character called Pottle who was a good character. In the midst of leaving a castle all of a sudden out of the blue, he gets shot by an arrow and dies! This was before FFVii and it was a complete shock to me being a young kid at the time.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 12:08PM (Unverified) said

OMG that moment in that game still sticks with me today, i was almost in tears when that happened it was definitley one of the best moments i have experienced in gaming

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 9:32AM Rodj Blake said

Some of the old AURORA in-game events in Eve provided some awesome RP.

I think that my favourite arc in which I participated in was the Brother Joshua investigating Aritcio Kor-Azor one, which both reached the official Eve news and formed the basis for pretty much the only official Chronicle detailing the out-of-game results of in-game events

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 9:32AM Thac0 said

I was pretty bummed out back in my Sega Genesis days when Nei gets killed by Neifirst in Phantasy Star II. Thats was memorable. :P

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 10:38AM dudemanjac said

I know I never get any sympathy on this one, but I get a little wet in the eyes at the end of Final Fantasy 2.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 10:51AM (Unverified) said

Ocarina of Time... (bursts into nostalgic tears)

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 10:53AM Seraphina Brennan said

Note to Self: Never ask question like this again. No one takes you seriously.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 5:34PM (Unverified) said

*laughs*

The phrase "unclear on the concept" comes to mind. These days I find that you'll run into actual RP more often in an open-ended environment like Second Life than you will in an MMO.

My most memorable moment was back in the pen and paper days of Shadowrun, and a GM that took a dislike to me. He presented a moral dilemma of our party walking in on a gang-r*** in progress. So being a righteous dude in a well armed party, I attempted to stop this but the rest of my group simultaneously shrugged and started walking off. Unfortunately I was the techie of the group and got myself nearly slaughtered, the rest of the group was seriously pissed with me because if we were to complete the mission my skills were needed but instead they had to drag my wounded carcass behind them.

Needless to say, I was left out of that RP group afterwards.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 10:55AM (Unverified) said

Well I played the MUD called Dragon's Era for a few years (great game if you like MUDs btw). The whole game was centered around RPing with out players. I've got alot of good RP moments from there but one that sticks the most would have to be this one:

My character Ishthrail the dark elven warlord and his best friend Gondras a dark elven Archmage both fell in love with the same girl. Ishthrail relented and told Gondras that he would not pursue her. He lied. several months later Gondras finds out Phedra (the girl) is pregnant with Ishthrail's baby and he tries to kill the warlord only to fail and be exiled into the wastelands.

I love that moment because it was just some damn good roleplay. I have more but it would take way too much time to post them all here.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 11:59AM (Unverified) said

Back in my MUD years, I remember being a Centaur who met once per week with other Centaur players to do RP activities, one of them was visit a far away Centaur village.

In one of those visits, we found the entire village in blood, murder, and corpses. We traced the incident to a real player who was evil (and very powerful) and went in a mad hunt for his skin.

Suffice to say, I had a great time with that RP event (lasted 3-5 hours) and it was pretty much player controlled. He didn't get away, by the way.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 12:41PM (Unverified) said

Moments like this and ilpalazzo's above are the very definition of good roleplay. It's a shame you can't get great RP like this in any of the modern graphical MMOGs, only in MUDs.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 12:55PM (Unverified) said

It is definitely the Abyss training cut scene in Aion, the story is actually very rich and I always thought of it everytime I went to go pvp and the meaning behind it, if you haven't seen it its on youtube for both sides, check it out :)

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 1:38PM (Unverified) said

My favorite RPG moment has to be the time when my character was building his family's house using the stone he had recovered from the nearby mine. Suddenly this huge monster, that nobody had ever seen before, crawls up out of a hole in the ground.

My character's children became incredibly frightened and tried to hide. I drew the sword and shield, that had been passed down to me from my character's father, and faced the monster.

The monster began to speak and told us that it had come from the lands of the evil god, "Garrak". It began to viciously attack several of us, wounding us greatly, and then grabbed one of the young women in our colony and took her back underground.

Our colony's oldest, and greatest warrior vowed to follow the beast into the jungle. It was only several months later, that we received word that he had tracked the beast into a vast, unexplored swamp and came upon an ancient Obsidian Tower that nobody had heard of before. There he uncovered a colony of lizard-like characters and more of these terrible creatures. He, at last discovered the monster that had taken the girl and, after a terrible battle, slew it with his trusty iron longsword.

Unfortunately the lost girl was not found, and we are still unsure where she is, but we have vowed not to give up until we have solved this mystery.

To this day as my character has grown older and more frail, his children tell and write tales of the encounter with the beast and the havoc it wrought upon our small, growing colony. We will never forget the horror, and together we have begun construction on more weapons to aid us if the evil god returns again.

This all happened in the greatest, most immersive RPG I have ever played: Faery Tale Online.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 1:46PM Platypus Man said

I've been roleplaying in MMOs since my first day of Dark Age of Camelot, and there have been so many moments that I can hardly pick my favorites.

I've always tended to enjoy in-game, off-the-cuff roleplaying as opposed to plotlines and pre-created stuff... and the game in which I had the most fun just running around in-character was Tabula Rasa. In TR I was a member of the 131st Hellhounds, one of the Cassiopeia servers premiere RP clans. We did *everything* in character... patrols, base defense, drills, etc. Groups of us would just go out into the game world and kick Crusty in the junk... but we did it in-character, and it was always interesting.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 2:49PM fatpanda said

People seem to be taking the question seriously...
BTW what is that picture from?

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 2:52PM fatpanda said

People seem to be taking the question seriously...
BTW what is that picture from?

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 4:55PM Darkdust said

Hm. One of my defining RP moments was in Star Wars Galaxies, when we had to get into Theed Palace while in Rebel combatant status for a particular quest. On our server (Chilastra), the Empire held Naboo, so the entrance to the palace was covered with stormtroopers. We played it all in-character with a small group fighting our way in, talking to the Rebel-sympathizer queen, and exfiltrating ourselves under fire. It felt like Star Wars in so many ways.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 5:01PM (Unverified) said

I used to run a Pen & Paper Shadowrun game for a few friends and coworkers. One of the players who was the 'face' of the party played a sociopathic elf. When the party was interrogating a Lone Star cop about an aspect of the mission they'd been sent on, the lonestar cop spit in his character's face. He remained calm, wiped his face off, and proceeded to start cutting the cops fingers off, one joint at a time. Everyone else at the table cringed at this (including me), but the way he was able to get into character in my game and how he roleplayed ensured I would NEVER forget him.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:44PM Dblade said

Champions Online has some great roleplay moments. One supergroup I'm not a member of is We is Darklings, a RP group who roleplays very tiny, overly friendly demons. They often are hilarious and great fun to RP with. A recent example was with one of their members, Big Big, trying to feed a pair of werewolf puppies some cookies. Unfortunately this caused serious projectile vomiting, and some hilarious impromptu RP.

It has plenty of moments though. Dancing with a monkey in power armor or chatting up mexican wrestlers or sentient banana/human hybrids is never dull.