Posted: Jan 28th 2010 9:34AM (Unverified) said

"I do not think that this adversely affects STO though as like it or not the budget for that will be a lot more than CO and will continue to be funded by fans of the game and the external sources linked to the IP."

If this was a world populated and run by sensible people I would agree. But a Yugo is still a Yugo.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 9:29AM CitizenH said

A paid content release at this time is unacceptable.

They haven't been supporting the game enough to warrant the $15 a month fee, let alone asking for more.

Other titles release a lot of free content included with their fees, as well as fixing bugs and supporting the game. The developers of CO have done little of any of that.

They've had no sizeable free content releases which are common for games with a monthly sub fee. City of Heroes for example. CoH has had free releases averaging every 3-4 months since launch. They've given away a huge ammount of content and continue to, and that is in part of why they're still here six years later.

Until this point, all CO has managed to release are two poorly recieved holiday events, a short dungeon for teams and a handfull of forgettable missions to bridge the leveling gap their launch-day patch created.

On the support side of things:
"Lagmuria," untargetable-unkillable bugged enemies, broken missions, wild power imbalances, frequent server outages. All of these still plague the game 5 months post launch.

Then there's the matter that the game was a little light out of the box. Most people stuck around expecting free updates to fix that. It's understood such updates are included in the monthly fee, like any other MMO with a fee. Such a free update is what people were expecting to be announced Tuesday, not a cash grab.

CO Devs: You seek to charge for a fraction of what better developers and titles do for free. You don't do a very good job of supporting your game or the community that plays it. You don't listen to or understand your customers. If you did, you would have known announcing paid content at this point and state the game is in currently in wouldn't fly.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 9:40AM (Unverified) said

Maybe they got the idea from Mel Brooks' movie" The Producers".

A. Collect a lot of money from "investors".

B. Intentionally make the production fail.

C. Profit

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

1) steal underpants
2) ???
3) Profit

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 9:58AM (Unverified) said

Cryptic/Atari ain't gettin' my underpants!

Well... maybe one.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 10:03AM dudemanjac said

They won't stop until they've got underpants? If that's all they want fine, but I REFUSE to pay alot for this muffler.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 10:03AM Wensbane said

"Vibora Bay will be a paid expansion..."

Ok, at this point I only feel sorry for those who will lose their jobs once Cryptic closes down, and trust me, at this rate that will happen very soon. But perhaps that was the plan all along...

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 12:03PM Ragemore said

• 1 heart
Still playing Champions, still having a good time, Maybe I'm used to the pay for content mind set these days, if you want to blame someone for it blame consoles, the pc industry is using this since it is working so well for PS/XBOX/Wii.
In fact when I log in each night it seems there is still a lot of people playing and enjoying the game, I think forums these days are biased toward the negative, and filled with people who seem to hate the game, and yet must spend hours on the forums posting about their hate, not actually playing, or leaving and finding something they do want to play.

I want to play a Super Hero game, and right now, Champions gives me that.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 2:12PM Its Utakata stupid said

If you've read the forums over on Champions there are a few who willing to stick with CO and even pay for the new content. More power to you guys. If you like the CO that much, then don't let any of us stop you. Though as one of you folks pointed out...although he will be paying for Vibora Bay, there may not be many around for him to enjoy it. Just saying.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 12:48PM Tezcatli said

I gotta say. I was ok with the idea of pay shops. As long as they didn't have anything that interfered with the gameplay. But the fact they're already putting out a pay expansion is distressing.

Have they released any "free" patches that add new zones and other content? If not. It seems like they're trying to charge for what other games, like WoW, normally do for free. Which for me, is just unacceptable. I play wow because it's cheaper for me to play wow at $15 a month. Instead of buying around two games for $40 to $50 every month, I get bored easily. If I had to pay for Ulduar, TOC, and ICC. I'd have quit wow or been stuck with just unpatched wrath.

I know Guild Wars regularily released expansions. But they didn't have a monthly fee. I really hope they don't intend to go this route with all thier games.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 1:17PM Evy said

Wow. Just... wow.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 3:02PM EdmundDante said

Whoa off the charts.

I hope other MMO companies who are following this debacle learn something here.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 3:13PM (Unverified) said

It probably just gave Mythic and Blizzard an idea...

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 3:19PM (Unverified) said

I think the only thing that surprises me about all this is that the Massively staff haven't found a way to positive spin this and call it innovative....yet. 8-P

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 6:00PM Psychotic Storm said

ok seriously after the shock, since we have no info for it, no real details except it will be a new zone and that one will have to pay for it.

No decisions for or against it for me until I get the hard Info, what's in it what's the price is it cryptic bucks or must purchase it with a separate system, ectr. I will remain neutral.

its not an ideal move from their part though, they should have either waited a bit more or give it free and charge full for a bigger expansion.

In reality in my eyes, they seem to be experimenting on how the player base reacts.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 6:26PM wjowski said

What they were thinking when they put Roper in charge, I do not know.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 7:13PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 11:16AM (Unverified) said

Sakura Park, bitches

Posted: Jan 31st 2010 2:37AM starka1 said

Oh, isn't that cute. Kdolo was probably spanking a monkey to this article.

Posted: Jan 31st 2010 10:27AM (Unverified) said