Posted: Jan 28th 2010 12:40AM (Unverified) said

So they release a game with barely enough content to cap, then four months later they decide to release a paid expansion? Bugs aside, how about a reasonably-sized "catch-up" patch first? Show your subscribers you did more with their sub money than provide access to a single server and a reason to charge them more money. It'll at least hide the fact that the funds were desperately shifted over to another one of your games. And to think there's speculation on a third title in the works...

Honestly I don't know why Cryptic doesn't just release single player games. They've already got enough (again, barely) content to "finish". They're all set! No on-going post-release maintenance required! Hell, a patch like this can even be tacked on as DLC! But then on the other hand, why not release a skeleton of an "MMO" and sell fragments of it from then on, on top of a monthly fee. I know, I know..."no MMO is ever finished..." That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a standard, especially when compared to games that only require the initial purchase.

Go ahead and call it nerd rage, but this is the last straw for me. From what I'm seeing it's only a matter of time before this bait & switch money-grab trend becomes the norm, simply because it's just too easy. Not saying MMO development is an simple task, but the line between games that make money and money-making vehicles disguised as games will blur soon enough.

I feel bad for regretful players who decided to partake in the pre-release only lifetime sub offer. Screw seasonal events, how much permanent post-release content will their sub cover in the next 15-16 months, given an announcement like this?

And for anyone who'll somehow become upset over what I've said, don't bother. I've already beat myself up enough for participating in this STO fundraiser via a 6-month sub...

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 2:20AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
lol @ People comparing Cryptic to Blizzard.

"Blizzard put out Zul'abullshit and Blahblah before WOTLK..WHat about MEEEE?"

If CO had 11.5 million subs, they could probably get by with a lot more free content. Just a thought. Tell your friends.

Activision-Blizzard has more revenue than quite a few countries in the world. Comparison to any other MMO company is pretty fuckwitted tbh.

Your monthly subscription pays for the bandwidth you sap up playing for hours every day and the servers you play on. The tech support that you call and bitch about and the forums and websites you troll and flame daily.

I don't understand the sense of entitlement that the average mmo player feels nowadays. If you're seriously that unhappy with a "broken unplayable game", then why the hell do you keep coming back? Vote with your wallet, and take your business elsewhere. Seriously.

If you seriously bought a lifetime subscription to CO before you even played the game (which I actually agreed with all the nerdrage about that business decision by Cryptic), you are probably a moron.

Hey, i've got these magic seeds...just give me your cow now, so I know you're serious...

/facepalm.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 4:57AM Its Utakata stupid said

Here's another thought: City of Heroes/Villains have been releasing mini-expansion packs without ever charging it's customers a cent (I believe they are up to16 now). I doubt their playership has reached a million let alone 300,000. Eve, LoTRO and other smaller than a million IP's have done the same...some with resounding success. This is where the "11.5 mil sub and therefore, Blizz can get away with it" arguement becomes full of pure fail. And I'm getting sick and tired of hearing that apologist claptrap as an excuse for MMO companies bilking their customers.

As for many complainers you so despise, they are likely voting with their wallets too. I know I am never going to step into a Cryptic ran product (or Atari) after their less then moronic decision today. So your point is pointless. So is QQ'ing about the complainers.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 5:11AM kazamxi said

It has very little to do with how many subs a game has. It has everything to do with how good the Devs are.

Take a look at Darkfall. It released with little content and had a lot of problems. It has a small userbase and the whole company is smaller than most AAA MMOs marketing team.

So far they have launched 2 massive FREE expansions along with a load of content patches, bug fixes and improved balance. They even have a 3rd expansion on the way again for FREE that will be the biggest expansion yet.

Remember they did it all for FREE (not including sub fees) with a small dev team and in just over a year.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 2:38AM Sam not Spam said

Fair enough. I'll keep my (biased) hope until proven otherwise, but fair enough.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 4:34AM Vagrant Zero said

Hey Weez, we don't have to compare Cryptic to Blizzard to feel outraged.

We can compare Cryptic to Cryptic. When Cryptic was the developer of City of Heroes they released multiple patches with far more content then Vib Bay for free.

So ya...I hereby decree your self-indignant rant deflated. Do all us a favor, keep your face in your palm with your hand covering your mouth so we don't have to hear your drivel.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 6:12AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
haha Deflated?

Nay, sir (or ma'am), you only go to prove my point further. Question. What are you going to do? You going to keep playing? You going to boycott the Item mall (or whatever Cryptics shnazzy term for it is) and play without? You going to unsub?

Or are you just going to bitch on an unaffiliated website and flame people that are telling you that you have a choice and can make your voice heard with a simple click of the "Cancel Subscription" button?

That's the point. Take a stand or lay down. Whatever, just DO SOMETHING. How would Cryptic React if Half their subscribers cancelled their subscriptions tomorrow?

Food for thought. Now, ragers. Rank me down.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 4:44AM (Unverified) said

Charging for content packs, extra reaces in their games and fluff while charging a fee.

It seems like they have combined both DDO's pricing options into one game.

Screw them and the horse they rode in on.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 4:50AM (Unverified) said

this is poor at best. i do not play CO but from an outsider looking in i would say they should fix all the current issues and give some content away to get everyone enjoying the game again THEN later in the year make this announcement

i wont be playing STO and this was the nail in the coffin of my interest

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 5:16AM (Unverified) said

Very interesting quote in there:

Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert:
Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.

What a load of crap. You can buy this game for £7 where I live. It is just about worth that for a single play through in 30 days casual play.

If people want to play a decent superhero game I suggest X-Men 1 on the PS2. A much better game and Storm's accent is amusing every time.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 5:36AM Psychotic Storm said

Quite intresting patch notes, not much amazed by the "mini expansion".

Way too early to demand money for one.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 6:05AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Utakata Of course my point is valid. You're choosing not to buy in, as you're not going to be satisfied. Good for you.

Lotro has what? 3 Paid expansion packs now? I don't hear the rage. Yes, they do a lot of free content. That's good. You should, its a good way to keep your subscribers happy, fooling them into believing you're getting something for "free".

@Jordanangeldart It has EVERYTHING to do with how many subs you have. Darkfall is giving it away trying to get their subs up. "Hardcore full-loot pvper" is niche market as it is, you can't piss someone off by asking them to pay again so soon. Plus, seeing "omg they're giving away huge chunks of content" is a huge selling point for people. If it works for them, great.

Same thing with Warhammer. See how well that worked out?

Rage on. You got in bed with Bill Roper and wonder why you're getting herpes. Hellgate not teach anyone anything? I bet Microtransactions get Roper all giggly. He will milk this cash cow until its used up and move on to something else. Like a Locust.

So Super hero fans, these are your choices:
1) Suck it up and deal with it and play Champions Online.
1a) Buy the new zone and enjoy it.
1b) Don't buy the new zone and complain about Lagmura or wtfever it is.
2) Take your money to Paragon Studios and play the dated COH/COV.
3) Wait on DCUO to come out "later this year."

Oh wait, then you'd be getting in bed with SOE, huh? Well, at least with SOE, you know they're not going to prematurely pull the plug on a game, tbh lol.

Complain when you have no other option. You have plenty of options. Pick one.Now, proceed to rank this post down, too.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 2:02PM Its Utakata stupid said

...and CoX will have two paid expansions after Going Rogue I believe. And Eve? We're not focusing on big expansions by the way...we're talking about small or mid-sized content patches, which Cryptic plans to bilk customers for. Thus your point is invalid.

But feel free to nerd rage on, Weez.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 6:31AM (Unverified) said

This explains everything!

Cryptic only care about making releasing 3 crappy MMOs in as little time as possible. This is part of the deal they made when they were bought by Infogrames.

David Gardner, CEO of Infogrames, said: “The acquisition of Cryptic Studios brings to Infogrames an outstanding creative organisation, with a proven track-record of success in the fast-growing MMO category. Cryptic’s success is founded on leading-edge technology and the vision of a seasoned executive management team. I am impressed with the tools and technology that Cryptic has developed to make MMOs less expensive to build. Creating vast worlds and interesting interactions can be very people intensive but with the use of Cryptic's toolset they have a proven way of cutting average production costs in half. This is exactly the type of company we wanted to acquire in order to build Atari for the 21st century.”

Doesn't sound good!

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 10:01AM (Unverified) said

I think Ben hit on the real problem. Cryptic has to do what Infogrames tells them.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 10:54AM (Unverified) said

So they cut production costs in half by cutting game content in half?

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 7:17AM (Unverified) said

Eveybody has a talent. Bill roper's Talent is selling shit to the hungry and charging for the medical bill when they get sick...

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 7:40AM dudes said

I've joined team City of Heroes.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 8:32AM TheGreatMachine said

The number one complaint for CO is the lack of content and Cryptic have the AUDACITY to charge for one measely zone?! I was on the fence with STO but you'd have to pay me to play it now.

What a HORRIBLE thing to do to your fans and supporters. I will never give Cryptic another dime. This kind of practice must be met with utter revulsion by the community so it does not happen in an MMO again. Not to mention the poor lifetimers. feel so sorry for u guys

Shame on you Cryptic! Disgusting.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 8:37AM Snichy said

People need to look at this sensibly. Surely even Cryptic can see that charging a fee for something that should be free is detrimental to long term success. Even a blind old dog can see that charging for extra content at this stage in the games development is ridiculous, so that means Cryptic arent choosing to charge for it, they HAVE to - they dont have a choice. That means that the budget is quickly running out on CO and they need more funds.

If they dont get those funds then the game will close, simple as. I dont blame them for doing this as it would appear it is their only option (although I would blame them for a below-par and unfinished release which probably didnt help!).

I do not think that this adversely affects STO though as like it or not the budget for that will be a lot more than CO and will continue to be funded by fans of the game and the external sources linked to the IP. I just hope they learn their lesson...!

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories