Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:21PM (Unverified) said

The suckered me with CO and sad to see that drama continues after I left. They won't get me into STO don't care if it gets rave reviews. I don't know what Roper has to do with all this, but after the crap dropped on HGL when he was around it smells like Roper should probably find another career.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:33PM (Unverified) said

Yo Bill Roper, I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but Cryptic is the worst MMO studio of all time!

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:27PM PlasticSpork said

"add more content for levels 47 to 50"

Man, I HATE content that no one can play. :)

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:28PM CCon99 said

I would like to see how the "anything we sell can be earned in game" excuse works with this zone they're selling.

People have to just take a stand against Cryptic and Atari and their nickle and dime schemes. If this zone you have to purchase (it's hardly an expansion) fails miserably where nobody buys it, they'll be forced to change the way they do business and either offer the zone for free or hold the content and offer a proper expansion pack for sale later down the line. What they're doing now would be perfectly fine in a F2P model, but not in a Subscription Model. I don't blame the Lifetimer's for being ticked at this.

STO players should be concerned with this as well, if this is what they're doing in a dying game like CO. You can imagine what they'll be charging for in their more popular game. Any new species, zones, or factions will likely follow the same model if it doesn't blow up in their face.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:39PM Dblade said

I've noticed the poor server performance today, but didn't know about the crafting. Thanks for the head's up.

I have to agree that making a paid expansion this early in the games lifecycle is a real piece of work. Especially since one of the major failings is that Champions has no real endgame content, and Viborra Bay will address that. I can't understand why they are engaging in such poor business sense designed to drive away customers. I can see a paid expansion if it is on the level of a retail box set, but this is something other games just roll out.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:48PM (Unverified) said

i just hope you guys all dont think that STO will be any different. im glad i was given a refund on my sub after the first month, and now realize why microsoft said no about letting this garbage happen on the xbox. this is shady and underhanded buisness,

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:53PM DrRumpy said

Say it with me:

"Flagshipped".

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:54PM Strumiker said

• Half a heart
now if only people would take this empty passion about hating mmo's they don't like and put it somewhere useful.

naysayers are a dime a dozen.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 8:04PM dudemanjac said

Except I DO like it. This is ass snatchery.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 11:00PM DrRumpy said

Naysayers are a dime a dozen? How about sycophantic fan bois are a baker's dozen.

I'll see your empty passion accusation and raise you a dedicated MMO consumer who got f'n fleeced by Cryptic because he stupidly purchased CO.

Love and hate is a fine line, Friend-o.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 7:57PM DevilSei said

God... glad I saw this BS coming a mile away...

So far Cryptic's handling of their games in general have been far beyond acceptable. I bet even SoE is jealous that they didn't think of making people pay just to access end-game content first.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 2:20AM (Unverified) said

See "Gates of Discord"

EQ1 is 11 years old and has what? 18 expansions? I think SOE's got the price gouging down pat tbh.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 3:56PM DevilSei said

Expansions are one thing (though I'll admit I dont know much of EQ), but charging for one instanced zone that adds to the end-game? Yeah, thats price-gouging.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 8:01PM (Unverified) said

Ok, guys! Time for a lesson!
This is how to leak Vibora Bay assets and ruin the mystique of the expansion.
1) In the game, type /demo_record and a movie name after, like "movie"
If the interface stutters, you are recording.
2) Type /demo_record_stop
3) Quit the game, then go to the game folder, specifically the demo folder and open the demo file in wordpad.
4) REplace the map path under ZOnename to "/map/vib/vib.zone" which could be wrong, check the patcher manifest for the real name. Whatever, just paste it there!

5) in the command line at the launcher, type "-demoplay" with a space and the name of your edited demo file.

6)launch the game, press F2 when the scene loads, and START LEAKING LIKE AN INCONTINENT OLD MAN!

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 8:29PM xero8p said

I'm starting a pool on what month within the next 1-2 years the servers are shut down on this POS (and I was stupid enough to buy a lifetime subscription so yes I can complain)

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 8:37PM (Unverified) said

When Cryptic did the CO pre-release, limited-quantity, life-time subscription money grab, I knew this was just the start of bad things to come. Glad to see I was right and stayed far away from any Cryptic products. Hope they put themselves out of business.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 9:07PM Strumiker said

• Half a heart
And you had to put nothing on the line to do that! I would never wish them out of business, unless it was a sweat shop of course :P These companies are small beans, just trying to make money. Leave them be if their game isn't to your liking. It's just entertainment.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 9:13PM (Unverified) said

Cryptic has replaced SOE as my most hated MMO company.

And that is saying something.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 9:15PM (Unverified) said

I think it's hilarious how many of you are blaming Cryptic for these snafu's and not their piss poor, constantly sued and incompetent corporate overlords at Atari.

See: Dungeon's and Dragons Online, which only now is profitable because Turbine took over and fixed it.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 9:20PM Tizmah said

Can we start up a Bill Roper curse now? :)

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014