Posted: Jan 26th 2010 9:17PM Its Utakata stupid said

I'm not big on the WoW tourist thing either..."dedicated" players (read: fanboi's) imply this is a bad thing. As in the real reason why Warhammer, Champions Online and Aion suck, leaving the devs off the hook of why they lost players. Baloney.

I will say one thing though, most of the issue seems to stem from players trying fresh off the press released games. I think they should hold off playing those until several months or a year after they have been launched. And see what the product looks like then. And instead, try more established games in the meantime, if they're looking for something new and getting WoW fatigue. I learned this the hardway when I played Warhammer and CO on release.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 6:48PM (Unverified) said

Thing is, even if there's an excellent chance that the fresh off the press released game will suck golfballs through a hose, there's always the chance - and the hope - that will actually be a genuinely good game.

And if it IS.. nothing compares to the experience of being in right from day one.

So much as I hate to say it - because it DOES encourage developers and publishers to peddle half-baked pieces of shit for the quick box sales bucks - it is a somewhat rational choice to jump straight on a new game, rather than holding off until several months or a year after launch.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 1:32AM Jeromai said

Sorry, this article is way off the mark and flat out mistaken in so many ways. If people who wanted to leave WoW really wanted to find something different, they would have found it in the many different genres of MMOs and games out there. And started playing them. These exist. Many times you'll see people in other games who played WoW, who go, "woot, I've moved over here, this is so much better than WoW."

Thing is, there is also another goodly number of the population who are very fond of their comfort zone. Learning something too new and alien is scary, difficult, not fun. They -are- looking for WoW in another game, just with new artwork and content, enough a twist to make it seem different, but still comfortingly familiar. Why'd you think Allods Online with its cartoony graphics and WoW-like mechanics appeals to certain people?

These guys -are- WoW tourists. And it is very possible that they will play a different game for a time, find problems with it, discomfited by the unfamiliarity, and go back to the embrace of the game that fits them more perfectly. Nothing wrong with this, personally, at least they gave alternatives a try and figured out it wasn't right for them.

But you cannot claim they are a myth and don't exist, because they do - even in this comments thread, people self-identify themselves as such.

The derogratory meaning of "WoW tourist" is often saved for the jerks though. There's always a subset of obnoxious tourist around, and these are the ones who just won't shut up in another game's chat channel about how great their chosen game is (or how much better their country is, for a real tourist). The natural question to any onlooker is then: Why the heck are you here instead of there then?

Frankly, people who treasured familiarity and their comfort zone over boredom are not a new phenomenon. Before MMOs, I had met people who were bored with the MUD they were playing, wouldn't stop complaining about it, and yet refused to try another MUD that had a slightly different ruleset because it just wasn't the same.

Duh. If you are bored with the same routine, shouldn't you break it up and do something different? If only for a while? If only to realize how much you actually treasure that routine? Much easier said than done with some people. I gave up wasting my time trying to change their mindsets.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 8:45AM Snichy said

Someone said it earlier and I agree; a lot depends on how much time you have to dedicate to gaming. I work full time and have kids so would be considered a casual gamer in WoW, but I still have 3 level 80's in tier 9 gear but as I cannot guarantee I can be online for raids thats as far as I can go with WoW so I'm looking for the next project where I can log on when I want and play casually.

I doubt I will go back to WoW as there is literally nothing more I can do without quitting my job and getting a divorce, but luckily there are plenty of other MMOs that I can try and hopefully will like!

Am quite enjoying STO and am counting the days before the "Tourists" leave the game and go back to WoW so chat isn't bombarded with purile references to Stormwind, the Horde or Leeroy Jenkins!

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 4:44PM wjowski said

So they'll be replaced by puerile references to internet memes, disgusting shock sights, and whining about how much WoW sucks like pretty much ever other MMO community then?

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 5:02AM Snichy said

Thats a myth - once you get past the free month of any new MMO the references to WoW strangely dry up, hence the WoW tourist article. I have played a lot of new MMOs and each ones chat log improves drastically after the first few months and I rarely saw any references to other games once the tourists leave and the real fans of the game remain.

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 8:34AM (Unverified) said

WoW tourists; WoW is such a shitty game, it's a shame that this category of gamers exists but it does. However, these whiners don't bother me much. I find WoW tourists can actually add fun to early level of some games if you make them your targets of ridicule and griefing. Think of them a zero xp mobs, kind of like gold farmers. Or, as others have pointed out, simply endure or ignore the chat spam till you get above a certain level when the tourists seem to have given up and left like so many amputated penises.