Posted: Jan 26th 2010 12:37PM (Unverified) said

Actually I could be considered a WoW Tourist. I'm currently playing WoW, but I am just playing it until Star Trek Online comes out. Then later on, if STO doesn't pan out, I'll return to WoW only until Star Wars: The Old Republic comes out.

Prior to all this, I did the same thing for Warhammer Online. Left WoW to go play it and had hopes it would keep me interested.

WoW at this point is only my backup plan until something better comes up on the horizon.

Now the argument is whether or not people "want" to leave WoW, but rather whether or not anything else can keep people entertained. WoW so far has been the behemoth for MMO entertainment, but eventually I'll find an MMO that will keep me entertained to stay for good. It's only a matter of time.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 12:37PM Rayko said

You know what is even more elusive a breed ? A person who has been playing MMO's since before WoW and uses the term " WoW clone".

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 6:42PM (Unverified) said

I have been playing MMO's since before WoW and use the term "WoW clone". You need to really earn it though - like Alganon, with it's verbatim copying of WoW UI elements and game mechanics.

I won't call something a WoW clone just because it's a race/class/level-based fantasy quest-themepark. Although I will roll my eyes and ask if we really need ANOTHER such game when WoW has pretty-much demonstrated that it is the apotheosis of the form.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 12:56PM (Unverified) said

The totally exist, you hear them loudly declaring that they gave game X a fair chance but everything is better back in the motherland. I think it is some part of the nature of addiction. Meth may be just as addictive as Heroin but when you are in withdrawal, you want the one that hooked you in the first place not some substitute.

Me, I get bored with any game after a while. Wow got booring quick but even great games (say, Oblivion, DA, GW etc.) I don't expect to still be playing 12 months later except to stop in and mess around a bit. Saying that a game has to keep your attention for months to be successful is utter bull.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:25PM myr said

Huh. Doesn't really apply to me, as I've written off WoW entirely. If I hadn't gotten a free month from someone hacking my account, I wouldn't have had an active subscription for over six months now. And even then I'm not playing it - busy with other games. :)

Not to mention, if any MMO is really my "home", it's FFXI. Though I haven't played that for about the same amount of time. Buzzing around in Aion and waiting to see how Old Republic and XIV turn out.

It's funny though now that I think about it... Now that the Aion populations have started to die down, there's not nearly as much "WoW sucks" junk going on in the chat channels.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:35PM breezer said

I was a "WoW tourist" when I played (would briefly switch to new releases when they came out) and almost all my real life WoW player friends still do this.

It's not a fallacy at all.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:42PM wjowski said

'WoW Tourism' is just an excuse to hide the fact that most MMOs are mediocre gruel that's not worth a subscription fee.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:02PM ryanthered said

Oh I'm sure they exist. WoW is comfortable and safe so if another game is too challenging, incomplete, or less populated like 95% of all MMORPGs, players will go back to it.

I'm incredibly thankful for LoTRO as it's replaced WoW for me as my new "home" and couldn't be happier. I'll still try new games that come out of course but just end up splitting my time with the new one and LoTRO most likely.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:09PM eNTi said

well i'm certainly a wow tourist. have been playing first 2 months after release, started again with bc for another 4 months, then started again for 3 months wotlk and considering coming back for cataclysm, even though i'm bored as hell from the game mechanics. in the mean while i'm playing diablo 2, HONESTLY tried sucky sucky fallen earth and 2 1/2 months of EVE online, which requires you to have a 5 year old account to have fun on your own.

currently i'm waiting anxiously for earthrise to turn out not to be the utter eve+counter strike mixture crap i fear it will be. i'm also looking forward to be seeing more of black prophecy. while waiting, i'll probably give cataclysm a run, even though the whole blizzard battle.net crap seriously sucks ass.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:27PM Unverfied B said

This article doesn't really make sense...

Well yeah, most players playing any MMO are players that like it, this aplies to WOW just as well. But they don't sign up a life-term contract to play that game, and IF something (much) better comes along - they will switch.

The whole idea of "tourist" is pointless.

I, for one, am playing wow since 2005 with various levels of dedication (there was time where i was hard-core raiding with a guild that entered Europe top 50, there is time like now when i log for a couple hours per week).

I do like the game - that's why i play it, but still i check out pretty much any MMO that comes out. If a game is any good i might play it for a month or two until i get bored then. When (or if) someone would make a game that is more interesting than wow and can hold my attention for 5 years - i will gladly switch to it.

The problem is that ALL the MMOs in those 5 years have quality levels between "meh" and "omg this game is a pile of horse crap".

TL;DR version: Cut the tourist bullshit. If you want to beat WOW make a better game. If you rather make yet another pile of crap - people will come, smell it and go back to their buisness.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:32PM Cinnamoon said

My whole guild is made up of tourists -- MMO tourists. We've been coming and going trying to find something truly better for years. We rarely stay anywhere for more than six months at a time -- including WoW. It's not "WoW addiction", and it's not as though any of these games is really the same game after six months away, either.

@rayko74 -- I started playing MMOs in '97 with UO and I use the term WoW clone. There are a lot of recent games that get their inspiration more from WoW than from, say, EQ. It's also appropriate to use it when the new games themselves are intentionally competing with the modern-day behemoth rather than old pseudo-legends.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 3:20PM Rayko said

I am very curious as too what specifically makes a wow clone. I am finding it hard to think of any criteria to justify the liberal use of that term. Levels, quests, lore, "epic" loot, guilds, classes ? None of those are new. I know a few have the look; but that hardly makes it it a clone.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 3:05PM (Unverified) said

I'd have to disagree with the assumptions of the post. "WoW clone", "Tourist", "shifting blame"....

In my opinion, outside of a very small but loud minority, no one really feels there is such a thing as a WoW clone. As for the bringing up of tourist, I find it very interesting. I've been trying to track down an analytical report on Blizzard since I first saw it in 2008.

The report says that 40% of the players don't play the game because it is fun. I can only hazard a guess but it may be relating, in part, to people like my one friend.

He told me, he played only because his brother played, and while he was online and tried to take some fun away from the experience, overall he couldn't care less about the game, or feel any attachment in any way shape or form.

I think that is what the real "tourist" is. Your "tourist" is part of the same mentality and thus same legitimacy(whether more right or wrong is unkown to me). as any and all fanboy rants. There may or may not be truth in it, but I feel that the article tries to approach the situation from that standpoint, and it may have stood taller coming from more solid ground. Wow tourist is used for the same reason, mainly, that WoW clone is used. It is used to carry with it large amounts of negative feeling for that sole purpose. It is liken to the old "I like pie" meme.

But having said that, I think it was a great article. It really made me think, and was a great read.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 3:10PM wjowski said

If your going to mentioned reports like that you should probably consider linking them.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 9:56PM (Unverified) said

eh, maybe. I'm not trying to sway public opinion or inform the masses though. To who his concerns, they probably are already aware of it.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 4:19PM (Unverified) said

I can 100% end this by confirming that I am one.
I went into Aion and enjoyed it, it wasn' the 'perfect game' for me but I still had a whole lot more fun than in WoW. Unfortunately my boyfriend plays WoW and it is impossible to get him to even try anything new. I don't want to pay two subscription fees so I just stay in wow and have relative fun raiding but thats about it.

Sorry massively =( I still like you.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 4:32PM (Unverified) said

I think free time demands have allot to do with it too after reading through this. I can play wow for 20 minutes and get a battleground or random instance run in, make some headway ya know? If I still had 6 or 7 hours a day to dedicate to gaming I would probably be playing Fallen Earth or one of the new games that are coming out. The thing is in all the current games out there other than wow offer very little in the way of "casual play". Going back to Fallen Earth, if I only had 20 minutes to play I could ride out to a cactus and harvest about 3 times in that amount of time. And that is the game I consider the best of the "others".

I think the current state of catering to the very vocal hardcore minority is screwing games up fast, especially in the case of champions online where it was an awesome game until they decided to "Slow it down" on release day due to forum crying by those that didnt think it was hard enough. If you want a fulfilling challenge go wear a saints jersey in Minneapolis. My fun is in no one connected to your challenge. WoW offers a big heaping plate to both the hardcore and the casual player. They dont cater either way very much (although arena players get an inordinate amount of attention from them) and that is why I can play it with my friends who have more freetime. Hence why I play it in between releases of single players games that are my current addiction.
It is hard to beat quality and quantity with potential and promises.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 4:44PM Saylah said

Tourist or not, people don't drop $50 bucks on a game HOPING it sucks. Get serious. If said game was worth it salt they'd stay. Less hype. More quality
More delivering what was advertised. Another huge assumption I'd that players leaving games after launch went to WOW. You don't know where they actually go.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 8:34PM (Unverified) said

I prefer to think of myself as an open minded WoW player who likes to try new things ;-)

The main problem with trying new games is that for the most part, they don't even come close to WoW due to 5 years of experience, a massive test population and the fact that it just keeps getting better.

The graphics in WoW are also stunning - not for their fairly low polygon count - but for the intellifgence and skill that went in to creating that art. All the models actually move and breathe, which makes them a lot better than some of the photorealistic rubbish I've seen.

STO is a case in point. I did the pre-order (since cancelled) and quite enjoyed my intial gaming until the holes in the game design became apparent. WoW is immersive, STO is not for the most part as loading screens, Sector Space as a board game, resetting instances and a variety of other problems make it hard to gather any suspension of disbelief. Although I only played to level 5 and a number of friends said it offered more at higher levels, I couldn't bring myself to care. The graphics might have a high polygon count, but art, it wasn't. The ground combat missions didn't come anywhere near WoW and felt like just another console game. Whereas I can move through Azeroth from one end of a continent to another (and as an Aussie, I've swum around them as well ;-) ), STO was jsut a series of teleport to an instance and then teleport back to the ship.

That's not to say you don't find good things in trying other games, they just don't have the depth, content or polish of WoW at the moment, but I'll keep looking. Cryptic's customisation is great and the space battles were nice (if a little uninvolving).

I've tried other fantasy games and they just don't come close to WoW for me - of course this will depend on what you want from a game. WoW is a smorgasbord of games of all different types and you may want more than what it offers in PvP or crafting, for example.

So my next tourist trip will be JGE (if it ever comes out) and like any tourist, if the destination is better than the departure point I may stay,

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 9:13PM (Unverified) said

I'm sorry, but this whole idea of "WoW tourism" or "MMO tourism" is in fact a real phenomenon, but it's also another one of those cases where people are being blamed for rational behavior. In any other segment of the gaming industry it's completely *normal* for people to pick up a game they are excited about, play it for a month or two, and then abandon it for the next thing that comes along.

The actual abberation here is that for such a long stretch of years there was only one or two dominant MMO-type games at any given time. This led to people forming communities around the game and developed the expectation that they could find their friends simply by hopping back onto the game.

This is no longer the case.

At this point MMO's are starting to multiply and scatter players in all sorts of directions, and as a result online communities either fail to form or they become clans of meta-gamers, that all know each other outside of a single game and decide together which game to play *this* month. It's just an inevitable part of a world that has dozens of MMO's to choose from, instead of the era when pretty much everyone did EQ, WoW, or nothing.