Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:34PM benfolds said

• Half a heart
Helicity Boson is a simpleton that knows nothing than to blow stuff up. Her so called Pirates did this because they can't make their own way in Low sec space. If you play EVE online, you know that Mining ships can't be equipped to mine AND protect themselves. Of course, this is where CCP should step in and enable these ships to protect themselves by giving more slots to equip and shield and armor buffs, and also make them not able to be warp scrammed. Maybe then, its a fair fight. EPIC FAIL. Dont get me wrong, I think CCP does a great job on EVE, perhaps the best game out there, but lets give the miners some teeth to fight back on their own, instead of having to have another pilot around to defend them. REALLY want some action? I think this would open it up alot in Empire space. Make the Pirates prove themselves.

CCP should interfere( Which I am not a fan of), and BAN Helicity for the betterment of the game. Actions like this only deter players, especially newer ones that just could barely afford that Hulk that just got blown up. CCP owes miners and industrailists a week of game play for this. Period. Unless they were willing to change Mining ships.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:03PM Seraphina Brennan said

I'm not a huge EVE player, I only play occasionally, and I still know the first rule of EVE:

Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:06PM Serious Table said

I believe the ever classic "Lol u mad, bro?" fits your statement pretty well.

See, EVE Online is part of this genre of games called "Massively Multiplayer Online". "Massively Multiplayer" implies that there are many MANY people playing this game. You know, upwards of 30 thousand plus on the server at a time, nearly double that at peak hours.

EVE Online is also a PvP game. It's DESIGNED for people blowing other people up. In fact, that's the first thing they teach you after you learn how to fly in the tutorials: YOU'RE GONNA GET BLOWN UP, INSURE YOUR SHIP.

I also seem to remember the number one rule of EVE PvP is: DON'T FLY WHAT YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE.

So if EVE is a PvP game, and that's the first rule of PvP, then that must be the first rule of EVE. Funny how that works out.

Going back to the MMO part up at the top? Yeah, it means you should make some friends. Miners shouldn't expect to be able to defend themselves while mining. You just shouldn't. If you're going to maximize your ISK/hour, you're going to equip every Mining Laser upgrade you can, and everything that supports it. If you want to survive, you're going to sacrifice a little ISK/Hour. Or, you're going to find a friend. It's just how the game works. It's how it's ALWAYS worked, and it's how it will continue to work.

Banning Helicity will only spark further Hulkageddons in retaliation. And it doesn't deter players; it invites those who love PVP, those who love a little danger in their play, and those who are mature enough to realize "Hey, it's just a game". And a week of playing time? Really? Uh, there was plenty of warning that Hulkageddon II was coming. What the Miners should have done was park the exhumers for a week and go earn money elsewhere, doing a little more venturing into something they haven't tried before. And yes, the newcomers will cry that they lost their Hulk that they just barely afforded. But then, we refer back to rule number one of EVE Online:

DON'T FLY WHAT YOU CAN'T AFFORD.

Welcome to EVE, buddy. PvP just happened.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 4:04PM (Unverified) said

as the saying in eve goes. U mad?

You may also wish to read the article, and understand precisely why you are wrong.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:38PM Meagen said

• 1 heart
It always amuses me when people go "I like EvE because it lets me fight against smart PC-controlled enemies instead of the boring AI-controlled NPCs of other games" and "my favourite tactic is fighting PC ships that have no chance of harming me and cannot run away" in practically the same breath.

Just admit you're in it for the trolling lulz, guys.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:57PM Platypus Man said

Seems to me that the solution to getting blown up while mining is to either a) get some friends to protect you while you're mining or b) pay someone to protect you while you're mining. I see no reason for CCP to step in. You know the limitations of your ship... find away around them.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 3:09PM (Unverified) said

"a) get some friends to protect you while you're mining"

I agree, in theory, but these "Defenders" wouldn't have time to react to the suicide gankers before they'd take out the mining ships.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 9:07PM GaaaaaH said

Logistics ships: keep a lock on the miner and if ships come into the belt activate repping (if you can't permarun)

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:59PM rulesaremyenemy said

I'm sorry, are you playing the same game that I am playing? Ships in Eve Online are specifically designed to fill a role. A solo mining ship is *supposed* to be fragile and defenseless. You want a better shield and armor buff? Get a logistics ship in your fleet (or a command ship with gang link bonuses). You want to beat a warp disruptor? Fit some warp core stabilizers. Will that mean that you mine less ore per cycle? Sure. You don't want to sacrifice in order to gain something? Well tough luck, go play Hello Kitty Online.

It's extremely easy for anyone to train a throw away alt for a few days, put them in an insured t1 cruiser, and go ganking (I do it all the time). A proper solution would be for CCP to stop insurance payouts for ships that are killed by Concord. Since they haven't done that after *years* of complaints, I think it can be assumed that they have no intention of curtailing high sec suicide ganking.

For the record I think Helicity is a little full of himself over this Hulkageddon thing. He seems to be enjoying the attention a little too much. The goons have been doing this for years.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm consistently surprised that there isn't more push back in EVE against Pirates from Corps that specialize in defending industrial-minded players. Something donation based, for example.

I agree with the pirate lifestyle, it's great facet of EVE, but why hasn't some sort of equilibrium shown up?

When Hulkageddon shows up next time will there be a Defendageddon effort that comes together to push back against the onslaught?

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:12PM (Unverified) said

I've given Eve a shot a few times of the years just wasn't for me. I have to say thouth, the person in this interview seems a bit full of himself. Trying to "punish" or "teach" people how to play a diffrent way....Sounds more like one sided fun if you ask me. And let all those "carebears" up and decide to say "Fuck this and go on strike." then no one in Eve will be having fun when the production of ships grinds to a hault.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:29PM (Unverified) said

I think that's just the Pirate Ethos shining through.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:24PM benfolds said

• 1 heart
What is wrong with Miners having the ability to defend themselves? Afraid they might actually win a battle or 2? What I am proposing would make Pirates actually earn their kill. Anyone can suicide gank a mining barge or Exhumer. This would put a little bit of risk back into it for the aggressor. Why are you guys against that? And for the record, I could buy Hulks all day long and not be out of ISK, I bought a bunch and sold them at profit after this crap.

Desender, BUDDY, you need to check your head. I have plenty of friends in game and didn't lose any of my ships during this.

Im just saying give the guy thats out on the belt by himself, whether during Hulkageddon or any other time, a fair shot against a ganker. Why are you so against that? Meagen was totally on point with her comments.

What I propose would not limit high sec ganking, just make it a little more interesting for the parties involved. But, some people are afraid of change....

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:37PM DrewIW said

"Im just saying give the guy thats out on the belt by himself, whether during Hulkageddon or any other time, a fair shot against a ganker"

If a guy is out on his own, in a defenceless ship, why should he have "a fair shot" against someone who has specifically prepared to gank the exhumer?

That kind of homogenization would completely kill EVE.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 2:54PM Serious Table said

Drew's got the idea. Ships are built to fulfill specific roles. A mining ship is designed to mine, and the defense is left up more to those around him, such as his friends, or maybe some drones he packs into his bay or whatever. He's not really meant to do much more than, you know, mine.

What the miner should be doing if he insists on going out on his own is looking for systems in Highsec that are isolated, with few pilots in local, and a small number of ships destroyed/pods killed in the last 24 hours. I'm talking about a system that is generally at the end of a "jump corridor", where it's only got one Stargate in and out. I mine in my own little system like this, with at most six pilots in local, and we shoot the local rocks without much trouble. We don't have a lot of worry of pirates because, well, we're in an isolated area that isn't high-traffic, so we're considered "low priority targets" to Highsec Gankers. Then haul yourself a small Frigate or Destroyer or even a Cruiser to do the occasional ratting when a pirate comes into your belt, blow 'em away, and go back to your peace that comes from mineral harvesting.

That lone guy in the belt shouldn't be alone, so he shouldn't be able to defend himself. He knows when he goes out there that he's in a defenseless ship. Therefore, he should take necessary precautions to avoid it being blown up, and understand that eventually, you're going to lose that ship. Just best embrace that the moment you hit "undock".

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 4:40PM (Unverified) said

This is killing me. My side actually hurts from laughing too much. Helicity gave everyone in the community advance notice of the Hulkaggedon II. She warned (and welcomed) anyone to either stay out of mining or just be ready should a bunch of pirates all of sudden appear in a system near you. If you mined during the Hulkaggedon II time frame there was a greater than 1 chance of you getting ganked.

Further to this EVE is an MMORPG - Helicity Boson is a roleplaying pirate. hmmmm.... What do you think will happen when a role playing pirates gives notice that he is going to get all his friends and enemies together for a Hulk smashing party?? Yes mining ships are not balanced well, but given the large amount of notice this event had, you would think that anyone with any brains and the will to survive would have made 1) other plans 2) set up a lawn chair and watched the parade of pirates 3) joined in the fun with an arty Thrasher. So, until CCP balances out your mining ships, keep your ears to the ground and and your ship aligned. You live in a dark and lonely universe where some people just like to watch things blow up. Get over it and move on.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 4:27PM Surelle said

• 1 heart
What gankers, and CCP as well, need to realize is that all players-- not just the gankers-- are spending real-life money or a good amount of time in-game earning plexes-- so that they can play Eve Online.

If people who are into manufacturing and harvesting cannot do it in that game, they will find another game to do it in, end of story.

Never have I seen an MMORPG that pounds its crafters and harvesters into the ground so nastily (especially since those very people have no means with which to fight back while they are harvesting) as Eve Online does. This is especially odd considering that practically every ship in the game (sans a few that are earnable by missioning for ages) and every ship fitting in the game is manufactured by players, who in turn have gotten their materials from players who mine the ore.

Quite frankly, I think the manufacturers and miners should jack the prices of their goods WAAAAY the hell up so that it costs the gankers an arm and a leg to outfit even one ship to gank in. Then when Concord blows them to bits and they get their insurance payout, it won't pay for beans.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 4:50PM Berzerk said

Interesting theory. There's a small hole in it, though. You assume that all players have the same interests as either you or the pirates.

If you jack up your selling prices I will undercut them. If I cannot afford the ships and modules you are selling, I will make my own. If you think "I need to mine so I can make money so I can buy PLEXs to keep mining" is a valid argument, I will laugh at you.

The game is a sandbox where you are free to do anything with the tools they give you. Whining on a forum, or an unrelated website like this one, will get you little sympathy.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 5:52PM Royalkin said

• 1 heart
I think its quite sad that some pilots choose to play in this manner. It's equally sad that they seem not to understand the symbiosis that exists between the pvp enthusiasts (jarheads) and the industrialists (carebears). Specifically, if the jarheads continually destroy the mining vessels, that will directly contribute to increased prices for ships, ammunitions, modules, and etc. This increase in price is passed directly to the jarheads, which will include the lost isk for the ships. So therefore, the jarheads are in fact shooting themselves in the foot.

Moreover, I would propose that if things like this continue in Eve, eventually those individuals who are currently pursuing an industrialist career path in Eve will leave, and those potential future industrialist players will steer clear of Eve. Over time their numbers will decline, and prices will continue to rise. However, what is the ultimate result of this? A world full of bloodthirsty cowards seeking defenseless prey, but also one with bare shelves, because these simpletons have driven away the means of their own sustenance.

Jarheads should realize that directly destroying the potential for ore gathering and the eventual production of equipment, they are in fact making things harder on themselves, and it will eventually lead to the demise of the game we all love.

Granted, PVP is a pivotal part of Eve, however there is a difference between tilting between equals, and then preying upon the defenseless purely for blood lust and domination, which are the acts of cowards.

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 6:02PM (Unverified) said

I have to agree fully, when I was an eve player most of the pvp envolved searching for victims that didn't have a chance in hell of fighting back. That imho is the problem with pvp in games today. All the so-called pvpers don't want to fight based on skill. They wanna win and will do their best to make sure all odds are stacked in their favor.

It would be nice if they made a pvp game that encourgaed seeking targets that might actually stand a chance instead of lames who just go for the weakest for the lulz.

Perfect Ten: New MMOs to watch in 2015

Posted on Dec 27th 2014 12:00PM

WRUP: You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Posted on Dec 27th 2014 10:00AM