Posted: Jan 24th 2010 8:25AM Surelle said

I hadn't played WoW in the five years since launch, so I moved a couple of the toons I'd leveled into the 50s during my three-month WoW stint from one of the original PvE servers to an open PvP server.

This totally reinvigorated my will to play the game, as I'd spent the last five years playing other open PvP MMORPGs like Eve Online and server Nagafen in EQ2 but was just hankering for different scenery and classes.

I'm not a ganker, but I like having the additional excitement of open PvP around me and the ability to rescue someone on my side that's in trouble. :)

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 8:28AM Meagen said

I just try a different game for a while. I've been taking a break from CoH in order to "recharge" from burnout before GR hits, and it seems to be working.

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 2:13PM Sam not Spam said

Same here. Breaks are excellent all around, methinks. Play other MMO's, play other games, do something else, whatever. You can get sick of anything if you do it long enough; you can get bored with anything if its the only thing you do.

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 8:32AM pcgneurotic said

I leave it a while, then come back after a few weeks or a month and just do caretaking duties - tidying banks and bags, moving characters around, doing bits and pieces to reacquaint myself and slowly get my mojo back.

If that doesn't work, I do a quest log clean-up - deleting the Qs I know I either cba with, are too difficult for me to easily do at the moment, or are tedious and un-enjoyable. That's usually enough to give me the horn again.

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 8:58AM mrdrum81 said

I have that happen a TON over the almost 3 years that I have been playing Lord of the Rings Online. Sometimes I feel like, you've gotta be kidding me I have to go kill 10 orcs again! Haha...the daily grind sometimes gets very tedious. However, I do what some of the other people have said up above.....switch to a different game..or even GENRE for a few weeks. Even though my kinmates yell at me for taking a break, I find it refreshing when I do come back to grind away towards that elusive lvl 65!

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 9:31AM (Unverified) said

I got this recently in EVE Online. Ever since Hulkageddon II, the number of ganks on Hulks and other exhumers have dramatically increased, meaning mining in such an expensive ship has become too risky. Sure, the solution is to simply buy a cheaper Tech I variant (like the Covetor), but I'm pretty fed up with mining, anyway. So I have started to join corpmates in missions more and more. I'm usually tackler, and though a frigate in a L4 mission is essentially cannon fodder, my corpmates are usually in battleships and they take all the aggro. It's been real fun so far, and I'm currently training my way to a Dominix with a good fit. There's gonna be little mining for me for a while, at least till the exhumer ganking madness cools down a bit.

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 9:56AM Joshua Przygocki said

I need to start going to Alt-oholics Anonymous...

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 7:32PM Bezza said

Meetings are monday evenings at 7 o'clock and Fridays at 6. I'll see you there...

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 1:00PM (Unverified) said

I've found WAR getting stale right now and when that happens I usually just roll a different class but atm I'm thinking I'll restart my sub to WoW or Lotro and then after that month is over I'll most likely want to play WAR again.

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 4:01PM Pitt said

I don't get back into it, once you get that not logging in feeling you download a new one.

Thats why i've probably played more MMO's than the massivley staff combined lol.

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 4:57PM mrdrum81 said

I have to agree with you Pitty Hammerfist....I love trying out new MMO's...which is why my almost 3 year span on Lord of the Rings Online is so odd for me. I haev to say though, I took a chance with the lifetime membership, and when I did.....i felt this weight fall off my shoulders. I feel that I need to play if I am subscribing monthly to a game....like, if I don't play, I am wasting my money......hmm, that single player game looks nice...but, oh shoot, I better play WOW or WAR because I am paying for the game. Does anyone else feel that pressure with MMO's?

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 6:05PM Graill440 said

I will try anythng one time, if i dont like it i will never be back, no matter how much i liked the genreor the offers to return, and i love word of mouth advertising. More folks should be this way, our mmo's would be of higher quality today.

Posted: Jan 25th 2010 4:39AM Jeromai said

Taking a break is the best solution I've found so far. All the rest only gets you excited for a while, before plunging down the despairing abyss of burnout that it's still the same game, the same mechanics, the same layout, et. al. at heart. I sit down, play a singleplayer game and preferably swap genres to something completely different.

I've learned not to sweat a couple simultaneous subscriptions. City of Heroes (which is on serious burnout until Going Rogue for me) is justified by telling myself that I want to support their development - I liked it for 4 years, I like the way it's still heading, what the heck, it's just a movie or dinner less per month. If I couldn't afford it, I would cancel this one and not miss it.

I considered a lifetime for LOTRO, but after calculations, continuing to pay $9.99 a month is very similar to picking up a lifetime sub now. I just adjusted my mindset to 'pretend' it was a lifetime sub, with no obligation to keep playing 24/7. Whenever I get the urge, I still have the convenience of poking my head in whenever I like, and I keep the ability to vote with my wallet and cancel/leave - all bonuses for doing a monthly sub. Having LOTRO on standby allows me to switch it up to another MMO too.

Then I keep one more monthly sub for whatever MMO I am hardcore investing time to. And a fourth is on standby if I feel like taking a temporary (1-2 month) spin in some MMO I don't plan on staying for long.

That's just me because I like the convenience of popping in whenever I want, rather than negotiating the evil pathways of an account maintenance page and trying to figure out -which- password fit -which- game. But I can certainly see that others might just play a month or two of one MMO and then move on until the next time they get the urge.

Why not? That's something that has perplexed me for a while. How often do we play a singleplayer game? A few months, maybe until it's complete? Then we put it down and go look for something else new to play. Maybe with a few RPG exceptions, you can stick around for upwards of a year, but we tend to mod and DLC it up to its eyeballs in new content/changes to keep it fresh.

So why do we feel obliged to stick by one MMO as if it is the holy grail of gaming? Yes, it can get boring (everything is finite) and it's OKAY for us to feel that way. Try something else for a change.

It only seems like the standard MMO plays on the urge to not lose out to the Joneses...must catch up, mustn't let them catch me, and then we stick around rat-racing long past the point of enjoyment.

Posted: Jan 25th 2010 4:01PM (Unverified) said

This happens to me all the time, Ive been playing wow for something like 3 years now. I have three 80s and some more alts, and all the time I will log in, stare at the character selection screen and just think to myself... "I could log onto Swordfire... hmmm I could equally jump out the window of my apartment... hmmm, I could play on my druid.... druid sounds fun... oh but he's still in that place I hate.... hmmm I could play my DK.... nah, I hate life..." Lol then thats when I decide to get crackin on my website development or my game im making with RPG maker.

Posted: Jan 25th 2010 5:11PM (Unverified) said

Tally one more up playing a different MMOs.

Once I get bored, I'll quit for a while but still keep in contact with gamer buddies via text, on forums, vent/skype, xbox live, w/e. Though a strong, stable game is fun and addicting, what keeps me playing are the friends I make. The ingame and out of game chats are what distinctly separate MMO gaming from consoles for me.

This also means that I play multiple titles at any given time. I can only participate in endgame for one, but most games have room for weekend warriors while you're hardcore in another. I have literally played every major title since 2000, but I always come back to my favorites (again, based on ppl and gameplay).

For anyone new to this method, I advise against playing titles at launch unless you are a game specific content fanboy (Trekkers get to eat your hearts out this month). Chances are the games are going to be irritatingly buggy for the first few months after launch, and thats just the way it goes. Even your favorite MMO started this way. Online help content will also be minimal, so you're likely going from something amazingly familiar with a large community, to the new and strange. if all you want is some time away, its perfect. but if you're a hardcore MMO player, then wait or plan on a few months break to give the title a chance.