Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 4:38PM (Unverified) said

I'm playing some LOTRO this weekend. But that's entirely because their "Welcome Back Weekend" reactivated my account for free, and not even remotely because of the bonus xp.

OK, the bonus xp in this case is tiny, a mere 5%, but even if it was double, it wouldn't have made a difference. I'd still be there because it was a chance to spend a few hours playing a game that I do enjoy, just not enough to pay for when I'm already subscribed to another MMO. Not because of the xp.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 6:13PM Graill440 said

Not ever. Especially when i quit a game, they only get one chance for that first impression, be it open beta or release, double exp wont bring me back.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 10:07PM (Unverified) said

Generally I take the offer of "double XP" as an admission that the game has a problem. For instance in Aion I played up through 27 levels feeling more and more like there was no real meaning or goal ahead of me, and feeling more and more of the grind. About the time I received the Double XP offer, I realized that I hadn't played in nearly a week, and took it as a sign I was not alone in this appraisal, and haven't returned since.

Similarly, when AoC sent out a "come-on-back" notice, I was really enticed by their suggestion that my level 80 character was ready and waiting. But further down they said "earn XP faster" and to me that said the game still didn't have enough working content to keep me occupied. I'm sure that's not the impression they wanted to send but that's what it means to me.

tl;dr? "Faster XP" = "We're not interesting enough to play through"

Posted: Jan 25th 2010 8:17AM (Unverified) said

Here's my thought on double-exp weekends.

I tend to think the games that offer it more then once in a blue moon, fundementally have something wrong with their leveling curve. double-exp events tend to say the game has a noticable grind, and the 2x experience weekend should elate some positive reaction from the player-base, when infact, if the game was just produced with a reasonable exp grind, that masked the time spent leveling with well paced content, it simply wouldn't be needed and you could have better events, like you know, actual events that require you to do more then flip a X = X*2 switch.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014