Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 8:08AM (Unverified) said

Not really. But this kind of follows along the same logic of 'if I don't like having to level through the game in order to play the game at all, why am I playing?'

The double xp weekend trend tends to bring Aion to the mind first - let's face it, it's one of the 'grindiest' of them all. Even quadruple XP weekends wouldn't bring me back, but I'm sure they're a great boon for players that already enjoy the game.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 8:21AM (Unverified) said

It does for me.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 8:27AM (Unverified) said

Only if I have the game still installed. I've never felt the urge to reinstall the game to play a couple of days. However, if the game is still sitting on my hard drive absolutely!

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 8:28AM Valdur said

Not really,in fact Aion is the only game that I take advantage of the double xp weekend because it's PITA to level at some levels.I simply don't use my rested xp for a day or two and have it 100% with 40% xp boost which stacks with the double xp week end.All in all I had between 180K-230K for each elites killed in Steel Rake.With a 3 hours run I'm almost to level 45.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 9:00AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 9:28AM GRT said

No, not really. But often they're coupled with some free "Welcome back" time for de-activated accounts.

Right now LOTRO has 5% bonus exp (which seems trivial in any case) but free travel. The free travel means more than the bonus exp, honestly.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 10:03AM dudemanjac said

I'm with that. If it comes with a free weekend or some sort of winback I will try it again. But that's only if I actually still like the game or I'm not busy wit hanother.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 10:03AM Pingles said

I am remarkably tenacious when it comes to games. I play long after my friends have all quit. So once I quit it's usually for good.

Double XP is not enough to bring me back.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 10:30AM (Unverified) said

If it's a game I enjoy, or if it's one of those "welcome back weekends" (which surprisingly got me hooked back onto LotRO in October when they had one - didn't play since Nov/Dec of 2007), and I'm interested in seeing how things have changed, I'll usually try it if I'm not too busy with a current game I'm playing.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 11:14AM Vladimyr said

I'd never schedule to login during an extra xp event, but it's nice when I accidentally happen to land on one.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 11:19AM (Unverified) said

If a game isn't fun when the xp bar is moving slowly, it isn't going to be more fun when the xp bar is moving quickly.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 1:00PM MrDiamondJ said

It would never get me to re-sub, but it does get me hopping back into a game I hadn't played in a little while (like Aion).

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 12:51PM Stormwaltz said

When I want to rapidly level an alt, sure. But typically I don't.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 1:19PM jpo said

No....I don't play MMORPG for Experience Points...I play them for fun and for the Journey.

What level I am means nothing to me as long as I like the game. If I didn't like it 6 months ago, gaining 2 levels over a "promo" weekend won't change that.

Want me back to try your game? Give me a month...not a weekend.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

I am not sure why games have lvl caps beyond 10 if the majority of gamers seem just to want to get to there as soon as possible.

Welcome Home
Rev

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 1:47PM starka1 said

Like someone else said I was hardcore into a game long after my friends quit. When I eventually did leave for good, the double XP weekends were not enough to bring me back. I've had no regrets missing the last 3 offered by CoH.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 2:01PM (Unverified) said

Double XP Weekends definitely draw me in, but only if I'm already actively playing that game, or considering taking up the game again. I won't return to a game just because of a double exp weekend.

If you want a game that abuses the heck out of double xp or drops weekends,weeks, etc. check out Ragnarok Online :P Jeesh.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 2:23PM myr said

In all my aion fanboy'ism, I think it bears worth mentioning that people that purchased monthly or quarterly subscriptions to the game on launch had those subscriptions come up for renewal two days ago.

Smart, if a bit underhanded move by NC. But I was going to keep playing regardless :p

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 2:44PM J Brad Hicks said

Kill it, kill it, kill it with fire!

1) Any game where leveling is slow enough that 2XP feels right is a game that is too boring for me to play the other 350+ days of the year. So why would I pay for a subscription?

2) 2XP brings out the worst in people, as does scarcity in general. Determined to get the most possible benefit out of something that will be gone on Monday, people become even less willing to do any part of the game that returns less than perfectly optimal XP/sec. So if you want a team during 2XP weekend, you have to resign yourself to grinding one particular perfectly optimal mission over and over again until the weekend is over ... thereby making 2XP even more boring than the 1XP game is the rest of the year (see #1 above).

3) Companies size their servers based on normal peak concurrency. Nobody buys enough servers to handle the load during 2XP weekend. But all the people who love 2XP come flooding in, pushing the servers to roughly double the maximum concurrency of the rest of the year. The result is almost always horrific server-side lag.

When an MMO I'm playing announces 2XP weekend, I make plans to do something else that weekend if I can.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 4:11PM (Unverified) said

These exp weekends seem to pull in enough people that I can log on and find people and enjoy some group content that for the most part regulars have long since out leveled.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014