Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 3:18PM (Unverified) said

You might want to add that this Welcome Back Weekend does not apply for EU players, unfortunately.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 3:19PM Seffrid said

Woot, a whole 5% additional xp!

Watch that bubble move!

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 3:47PM Cinnamoon said

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found that bonus pretty laughable. "Double" experience points from kills and quests might have been the number they were looking for, if they really wanted to entice people to play. Honestly, LOTRO does so many of these free weekends lately that it makes them look pretty desperate, and they usually pick terrible times for it too (like right around the launches of other major games).

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 6:33PM yeppers said

@Cinnamoon ... Actually, LotRO doesn't need to offer double XP bonus weekends like grind MMOs do. It's a great game with a lot of content beginning at level one through max. A lot of MMOs can learn something from Turbine. They treat their customers extremely well with such a refined product and even more refined customer attention/service.

IMO... no MMO is worth $$ or time if the only goal is to get to max level. You should be having fun from day 1.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 8:16AM JaySpeed said

Alot of people complained about the double exp bonus. You level so fast with normal exp that people were out leveling regions before half the quests were complete. So this is just another example of Turbine listening to the players and giving them a different reward instead. Travel is cheap so it doesn't affect me but free travel is nice for newer players.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 5:52PM ultimateq said

This might work on me if it wasn't so ridiculous.

I'm not going to go through and download a huge game client then patch it for several hours to get 5 days of gameplay. Because when it finally finishes said installation and patching, I'll only have 3 days of play time. They should give people like 2 weeks.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 6:30PM (Unverified) said

I DLed the game, patched it, only to find that my account wasn't
reactivated for some reason, even though it's in good standings. =(
I shot support a message but the average response time is 2-4
days.... Joy.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 6:37PM dudes said

Nice game. Pretty clouds, smoking pipeweed, dancing and player created music, guild and personal housing, pve storylines and a little pvp when you feel like it.

Some freedom.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 11:35PM Suplyndmnd said

Wow, another one. I think they usually do this with huge content updates to try to get some old customers back. I remember playing this in the Closed Betas, through OPen Betas and a few months of release but the game was so bad then it kind of soured me on the whole experience. I was playing Loremaster and the pet pathing was atrocious, i couldn't even get some of the stuff i needed because they'd not even been added like cloth bound books. Finding a group started getting ridiculous because i cant play hardcore like and i got stuck in the middle of new players who weren't up to me yet and "race to the end content" people who found out there was none to be had yet.

Place on top of that that Loremasters had the defense of wet paper mache and it made it all the worse. Trying to get your bear to tank when he would stop fighting half way through for no apparent reason or running off to aggro stuff to only bring it back to you and not fight it in turn killing you just made me curse the game and delete it long ago. Can anyone tell me, have these issues been resolved? Are LM still defenseless idiots with pets that are uncontrollable?

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 11:46PM Kyzgar said

I have a Loremaster at max level and I think the game is fantastic. (I have six other characters still sitting at 60, but LM is my favorite.) As for why the bear stops fighting, you probably hit the bad guys with Cracked Earth. After 10 seconds, the target becomes rooted, so the pet stops attacking or they'd break the root. Most LM skills have some secondary effects so you really need to read up one them. Once everything's figured out, your survivability and overall effectiveness is awesome.

The new Mirkwood expansion was done really well also. It definitely could've used more in the way of personal character development, but the forest of Mirkwood, new quests, soldiers and skirmishes really are fantastic. Volume III is approaching, and hopefully we'll be heading down the Anduin toward Rohan, Fangorn and Isengard. The new player experience should help out a lot too if you never got very far. It's much less chaotic to get up around level 30.