Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 5:12PM Ringu said

Bridge Officers have another very important side to their existence: when you're in space, they give you extra abilities, like sending emergency power to your shields or firing a volley of torpedoes.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 5:18PM pcgneurotic said

Yes indeed, your officers are a handy bunch. They can be re-trained with different skills too, and have their uniforms adjusted as you see fit. And they're re-namable. I've grown quite attached to mine already. :D

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

I very well may do a feature on how awesome boffs are, some week.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 5:47PM Ringu said

I'd also like to mention the customization available in other areas, too: your uniform can be changed beyond any recognition of the TV series or the movies, and even your species can be completely custom made, if you don't want to play as any of the 'standard' ones.

I too love my BOFF's! All mine are Bolian Females, counterpointing my Bolian Male Captain :-)

Oh, can I also add that unlike every other MMOG I've played, you can name your ship anything you like -- even if someone else has already used the name.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 7:28PM Eamil said

Just to point out, they've said Admiral will only have 5 grades, so the level cap will effectively be 45.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 5:01AM Graill440 said

It is fun to park your heavy escort behind an unsuspecting BOP, chat with them a bit and then blow their ass into neutrons, but at this point the only aspect of STO that remotely interests me is the pvp. How they are going to get subs after the first free month is beyond me. Good luck to cryptic, they will need it.

Posted: Jan 24th 2010 10:08AM (Unverified) said

Actually, there is a mission you have to complete to unlock the klingon. Forget the name, something like "Signal" something.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2010 9:57PM (Unverified) said

okay, you convince me it's not use to try this game.

- I read books (and I can kick your ass with them)
- I like the tv show (startrek nextgen, ds9..) because they had stories, talks and stuff
- tricorder ? ha! it's a magical wand. a klingon?? just a red orc. I loathe your technobabble stuff and names. startrek was just interesting when they had good sf story about ideas, people and life.
- I despise the latest movie (the one before the last was also very horrible). it was just kiddy stuff with ugly explosions. I will give you that : the begin has some nice scenery and colors. after that it's just a tiny (very tiny) intimate movie with 2 or 3 brats and boring characters. (Sylar?? give me a break)

so, if that mmo is all of the new startrek 2009 is , if the game is just blasterous crazy click ships exploding stuff, I will pass.

hu, what, klingon are _only_ just pvp ? no Klingon House storyline ? no convoluted political quest ending with a MASSIVE bloodshed (in a huge fun and exciting battle) ? no quest for glory, religion or crazy vengeance ? and no song ?

orf ! it's just an empty arcade game with ships. not a reconstruction of startrek setting with also big and cool battle in space. so, it's nothing.

klingon is the new "evil character" from Lotro ?

Posted: Jan 26th 2010 1:31PM (Unverified) said

The game play can be a bit rough when it comes to ship control. 3 d movement in space is nothing like flying in WOW. (Quite frankly what this game needs is a joystick mode for space combat :) It's very much an MMO in the raw at this point, but I could see it becoming better as time goes on.

Everything and I mean everything is instanced in this game, which can make rendevousing with a group of friends already out rather problematic.

The comparison to EVE Online is right on the money, it's EVE with a simplified economy and a ground (or bridge) face to face compoenent. The game is very much ship to ship combat. If that's not your cup of tea, the game is not for you at this time.