Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 3:17PM Saylah said

OMG how I loved AC2. Every few months or so, my son and I lament its loss. There was community there and I think it was the population size and open world nature. To be honest, it felt more like a virtual world (open, seasonal weather, monthly content updates with a BACK STORY) than any other MMO I've played. You knew certain people and where to find them, even though they weren't part of your guild. What a tragedy that AC2 failed but AC1 is alive and kicking. Makes me wonder about GW2, although EQ1 and EQ2 survived the spawning of a second incarnation of the game.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 3:58PM Saylah said

@Tz - Hope this doesn't duplicate post but reply didn't seem to accept the comment...

That certainly is your choice to feel and play that way. I'm sure your behavior in games reflect that belief. Many believe the opposite however. People have formed lasting bonds and relationships via an online game. And players who want to belong to a community within a game, or any virtual environment, will exhibit community member behaviors and values. It's all a matter of choice. No one is saying that game/virtual community = real life. But to deny the existence of virtual communities in the age of online social networking seems uh, head-in-sand.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 8:55PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
It seems uh, head in the clouds, to think that virtual communities harbor anything but unhealthy interactions between people.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 11:12PM Saylah said

@Tz - You seem to be speaking from a place of fear. People can actually distinguish between virtual communities and real ones, unless of course, you lack self-control or have obsessive tendencies. :-)

Personally, I like to be part of the gaming community for whatever game I'm playing and consider myself part of the MMO blogging community. Neither of which cross any unhealthy boundaries or cause my worlds to collide or fall apart when i have more pressing things to do in real life.

Ah to each his own.

Posted: Feb 10th 2010 12:40PM (Unverified) said

AC2 was a great game and a awesome group game, community was one of best ive seen over years.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:49PM (Unverified) said

The global quests were a major reason why AC2 community had togetherness, and I think new games with their mini-quests are a travesty. What I mean is that many AC2 quests were designed for groups that allowed anybody to join in at any time. Raids in other games are designed for elitists. Whereas in AC2, on a whim, some 40 to 50 strangers would come together to fight a huge boss. A lot of the quests felt epic, so you felt a grand sense of achievement even if it was with other strangers.

The system of mini-quests is awkward for multiplayer because 1. two people have different quests and you don't want to help others complete their quests because you're so worried about your long list of uncompleted quests, 2. few games even let you share quests. Even if you can share quests, most are trivial fedex or kill x mobs or collect x items, and give pitiful rewards that are pointless and don't require groups. In other words, the time spent together doesn't tighten the bond between players. In WoW I felt like I would waste other people's time and they would waste mine. On the contrary, in AC2 I was glad to help others and many times would call for others to do quests together.

Many games were designed as 'gamey games' and that's the difference between a virtual world like AC2 and other MMO games. AC2 didn't hold your hand for the first 10 levels. That's when veteran players would help and guide the new players. This helps foster a friendly community. In other games, there are few or no reason or opportunity to help new players and low character alts. The impression is that you're alone in the world and you can do everything by yourself.

AC2 is much more of an immersive world because of the open world and open communication. You can go anywhere and meet and talk to anybody. There is no restriction by class, faction, race, etc. Even if you were on different sides, you could talk to each other. Sure if you were different factions you would talk smack to each other, but that only makes the game world more realistic and engaging. At the end of the day, it's all in good fun. Heck, you might even build respect for each other over a PVP scuffle.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014