Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:06PM (Unverified) said

Thing that really gets me, is there is no natural red hair shades, or even fake red hair color. The best I've been able to do is either pink (from choices in the lower left) to a light brown (ever so slightly orange) from the upper left color choices. Which is an odd omission given the blues, purples, greens, etc you can have.

Other than a few other things, it really is nice (wasp waisted women, C-cup minimum bust, and some of the uniforms look too plastic-y are my other quibbles).

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:21PM dudemanjac said

My bajoran BO has red hair.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:25PM Anatidae said

One of the stances puts the character's hands in the weirdest position. Like an uncomfortable claw like look. I put my fingers in that same position and realized that no one would keep their fingers in such an arrangement. Very weird choice.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:26PM Anatidae said

Oh, it is the swagger. Look at those hands. When you run around the starbase I feel like I am going to swagger up to someone and strangle them with my deformed hands.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:14PM aurickle said

Cryptic always excels at character customization. There's no doubt about that.

It's just too bad that after a while the character creator ends up being more fun than the game itself...

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 4:55PM swarmofcats said

• Half a heart
Most fun part of the game. Hope it's worth your $50, suckers.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:16PM Russell Clarke said

Gotta love picture 32 - the 'swagger' stance. Modeled on our dear Will Riker, no doubt :)

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:30PM (Unverified) said

Hmm looks like your graphics card doesn't support advanced shaders because I don't see any normal mapping or specular shading. It really changes the way the characters and the game looks.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 6:20PM Randomessa said

I'm at work and thus can't access anything to upload my redhead at the moment, but this is a character I created whose chest setting isn't even all the way to the left. She doesn't have a cleavage, and most certainly does not fill out her metal bustier. This is *really* not a C:

I would also suggest that part of the reason you can go completely flat-chested in CoX is because you can create characters that look like children. I'm not sure that's the case here, but you can definitely go a little flatter than this.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 3:44PM Randomessa said

That's odd re: customization, Joiry. I just made a natural-looking redhead last night. The bust sliders definitely go down to the mere suggestion of breasts, and the stomach slider can make a woman look around 5 months pregnant.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 6:06PM (Unverified) said

Huh, I just went back to the tailor but didn't see anything new. I get the same color matrix as the screenshots above show, but none of them look natural red to me on the character, just pink or light brown is the best any of them show to me.

I recall in CO I could basically get a flat chested female by having both the breast and torso bulk down to zero, which I'm trying in STO, but they're still fairly big, certainly not flat as I got in CO...

Kinda funny, they charge you to upgrade your rank pips.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 6:30PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
Why the desires for titlessness?

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 4:00PM eNTi said

• 1 heart
they've been selling lifetime subscriptions... that means this games was doomed from the start.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 5:13PM Randomessa said

Yeah, just like LOTRO, which closed down early last year. Oh, wait.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 4:10PM (Unverified) said

Can an alien race have a tail?

Na'vi fans must be disappointed!

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 6:40PM Randomessa said

@dudemanjac: I can only speak for myself, but anytime a female character option appears with LOLhuegbewbs, I am going to minimize that sucker to see how far down the slider goes. I have a set in real life I can admire anytime I look down, I don't need a virtual pair or the attention it would get me :).

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 6:47PM dudemanjac said

Lol. Well the funny thing is these ppl who blow them up not realizing that you'll be looking at the back of her head.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 6:47PM (Unverified) said

The Character creator was definitely pretty cool, I unfortunately couldn't play with it too much when I was making my character because I was racing the clock since the login server was resetting every 5 minutes.

I have to say though, it was odd that I'd be completely blown away by how customized the scaring could be, how you could move it all around the face and resize it, and at the same time completely let down that there isn't a single slider to adjust ears or horns. I really just wanted to shrink the size of one of the ears, and alter a pair of horns somewhat, and ended up just omitting them because I couldn't get them to look the way I wanted them to.

Posted: Jan 21st 2010 6:52PM (Unverified) said

Another thing that sort of bugged me about this system... who would ever want to play a preset race when there is so much you can do with your create your own alien? It's great in a way, but I'm not even a big Star Trek fan by any means, but it kind of pulled me out of the Star Trek universe when you don't recognize a single race in the game. Absolutely no one that I saw was even playing a human, when in the shows the Federation is probably about 80-90% Humans. This bugged me in the space station especially when almost all the NPC's are random looking aliens, as well as the players. As well as everyone having completely different looking uniforms.

As much as I am a huge fan of making my own creatures and spending hours sitting there tweaking every setting... I almost feel like I would of rather the game restricted you to like 8 different races that you could tweak to your liking. I think the game would of felt more like Star Trek than some fantasy land.

Even the Klingons... I was overjoyed when I saw an officer with Race: Klingon to pick as my tactical officer, and then I get him and he looks like a member of the blue man group. wth?

Posted: Jan 22nd 2010 2:17AM (Unverified) said

OMG unbelievable - Cryptic strike again:

Just like the last minute nerf in Champions Online, they've gone and made a *huge* change to ST:O right before launch, but of course *after* selling Lifetime Subs:

241 page thread here:

Official response here: (which begins with "I know quite a few of you are upset over this, so let me try and explain this change to you.")

Cryptic advertised and sold the game with no skill cap - ie a 'skills based title' with no limits, rather than a 'level based title'.
However, now they've gone and CAPPED the skills - after customers have purchased lifetime subs etc.

Does this sound familiar? That would be because they did a similar thing in Champions Online. That would be because this organisation is unscrupulous in it's revenue decisions. That would be because these guys have proven over and over and over again that they are simply not to be trusted to do the 'right' thing.

They are, Cryptic. Steer clear.

I feel so sorry for those who bought a LT, I really do, but to say the writing was on the wall is an understatement.. buyer beware next time huh?

**apologies for the double post.. I posted this in the wrong article beforehand**