Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:16PM Misanthrope said

Oblivion and Fallout 3 shared the same engine, no? Who's to say that they're not intent on re-using the same engine for the Fallout MMO, assuming they get the rights to it? Cryptic's re-using their engine for STO, after all, so it's not unprecedented.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:40PM Snow Leopard said

I happen to love fantasy settings and can understand why they’re so popular amongst mmo developers. They’re recognizable, yet flexible, and they have a logistical concreteness that is easy for people to wrap their heads around. If you set an mmo in modern day, your audience may wonder why they can’t go everywhere in the known world. Sci-Fi settings are difficult in that they often involve the nearly limitless expanse of space. With those types of settings, you need to set up certain boundaries. You can only go to Seoul, New York, and London and only one part of that massive planet is available to you. A fantasy setting is usually just one world or a continent. It’s concrete and compact, but often easier for the audience and the developer to work with.

Anyways, true this could be another fantasy mmo, but I’m looking forward to the different control scheme it could offer. Rather than the same point and click that plagues so mnay RPG’s, Oblivion and its other elder scrolls predecessors use a first person control scheme that has a lot of potential in an mmo. I’d love to actually snipe an enemy with a bow from afar rather than just clicking a button. True darkfall has this already, but that’s a hardcore game and a more independent one at that. Bethesda could really create something cool if they made an accessible fantasy mmo with fps controls.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:41PM Snow Leopard said

crap. I was one commenter off! That was meant for Toucan

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 2:31PM Eamil said

I don't see the Elder Scrolls engine working very well for an MMO. Not without some very heavy modification, at least.

Posted: Jan 25th 2010 8:56AM Shardie said

Zenimax are using Hero-Engine for their unnamed MMO, same engine as TOR

"ZeniMax Online selected HeroEngine because we determined it will serve our needs best. That fact that we can get up and running with meaningful art and content in the near term makes the HeroEngine a perfect fit for us."
Matt Firor,
President of ZeniMax Online Studios

from

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:17PM (Unverified) said

How many more MMO's based on strong fantasy RP IPs do we need, no matter what the reputation of the company?

I play WoW, I play LOTRO, I dabble in WAR, there is no more time in my day. By the time this game gets really good, WoW may be dead and everything that matters will be next gen.

I guess I am not the customer.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 2:10PM Mr Angry said

Yeah difference is that the people are turning up are a Swedish Netball team and they bought a load of coke and Boba Fett!!!!!

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:26PM Kalec said

I love The elder scrolls ... an elder scrolls mmo would be a "definitely buy" for me. But I must agree, the medieval fantasy / dragon killing hack and slash MMO market is over saturated and I doubt this would be a good idea (Unless they make something different ... like say: " THE ONE MMO IN WITCH YOU CAN ACTUALLY ROLE-PLAY INSTEAD OF GRIDING REP" (witch is what I'm hoping for) ... that might be different.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:31PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
another reason I hope that Bethesda doesn't procure the rights to a Fallout MMO. We've seen the garbage they produce when they layer guns and rockets over Oblivion. I'd hate to see that mistake reproduced in MMO form.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:45PM LaughingTarget said

As opposed to just rebranding Fallen Earth like Interplay was planning?

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:45PM wjowski said

...It was still better than Brotherhood of Steel.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:28PM (Unverified) said

I swore off high fantasy after WAR, but I'd play this simply because it's Bethesda.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:39PM Barinthos said

A full blown fantasy MMO in a fantasy MMO saturated market isn't all that great.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 1:27PM kooda said

"I'd be satisfied if they made a co-op/multiplayer version of Oblivion or something like it."
Agreed. i play WoW allods closed beta & some steam games i just want to chill with my friends in an oblivion style game :|

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 1:02PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
No, as opposed to not having anything, which I would prefer. Asshole.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 1:03PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@laughingtarget

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 2:33PM wjowski said

So basically you just want to stomp the franchise dead just because it doesn't suit your tastes.

Talk about fan-dumb.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 2:50PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
and i guess you want another Terminator: Salvation

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 3:42PM LaughingTarget said

I don't think you comprehend. That is exactly what Interplay is planning. Farming it out to Icarus Studios and basically rebranding Fallen Earth as Fallout Online. I would prefer that Bethesda retain the Fallout MMO rights because Interplay is clearly helmed by insane people and hand it off to Obsidian, which is made up of most of the Black Isle team, the guys that made the first two Fallouts. No matter what happens, Interplay losing the rights to a Fallout MMO is the best thing that could ever happen to Fallout fans.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 1:05PM SkuzBukit said

That's a pretty huge cat to be let out of a bag if the rumour is true, quite imprsssive it was under wraps so long.

I was a huge fan of Morrowind but never got around to trying out Oblivion for several unrelated reasons, so I'd definitely be "in the market" foir an Elder Scrolls MMO, provided of course it has that same stamp of quality as the TES games had.

The other rumour I heard was Duke Nukem 3d isn't truly dead & had been put back in some developr's hands recently, though that's a real shaky rumour in my opinion.

Swordsman launches today