Posted: Jan 19th 2010 1:50PM (Unverified) said

I spec'd all space (efficient, astro, techie, warp) and have not had much difficulty on the ground (PvE-wise). I haven't even put points into my BOs ground abilities, except my engineer that has chroniton mines. The mines are great. I have the eng place them in a doorway and position the rest of my away team to take advantage of the doorway bottleneck. Peak my head in, snipe a mob, then roll out back to my team and let the turkey shoot begin.

What I wonder is, if I have Efficient, and one of my BOs has Efficient, do I get double the bonus? Its clear how BO traits effect ground, but do the space ones stack?

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 1:30PM Aquaryon said

Woohoo. You people are getting your panties in a knot. ALOT of MMOs out there make you pick your race which ALL have with different stats when you create your character. And I don't see many people bitching about it. But because its
A) Star Trek
B) "Rush Job"
C) Cryptic's game
People decide to bitch and moan that you can ACTUALLY pick different starting stats. Perfect example is in WoW, you pick your Race and you are STUCK with more Stam, more Strength, "racial spells" and people are cool with it, so why is this game any worse off? And Duel Specs?? Thats for your skills and talent tree, not starting stats. You pick a nelf in WoW, your stuck with higher agility and ect.
I am really enjoying this game for what it is, its no EvE or WoW but for what it is, its a really great and accurate version of what a Star Trek MMO should be. Thats my 2 cents.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 1:54PM (Unverified) said

"Thats my 2 cents."

And, my comment further up the page where it's clear I don't believe ST:O is a really great and accurate version of what a ST MMO should be, was mine.

That okay with you?

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 2:17PM Wensbane said

"ALOT of MMOs out there make you pick your race which ALL have with different stats when you create your character..."

Yeah, I know other MMOs do the same, but is it really too much to ask that they at least let me finish a tutorial before picking these "traits"?

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 5:00PM Lionhearted said

I agree... and I actually like that you have to pick something important about your character at it's 'birth,' because that's what makes that character interesting and unique. If you could change essential traits about the character, it wouldn't be the same character anymore.

In the end, the beginning traits and stats of a character matters very, very little. In WoW, they don't really make a lick of difference in terms of leveling up. There's a few that are more useful than others in terms of PvP, but at the high-end game, there's no racial trait/ability that's an "I Win" button (some may be a good advantage in a one on one fight, if the ability can be used for that moment, but it's not going to beat a higher skilled/geared player on its own). The same really goes for any other MMO I've played before... there was no racial trait or ability that was do or die in EQ, etc.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 2:27PM cactusbob1702 said

I have to agree with Amana. I gave this game seven days to get me hooked and all it did was disappoint. My dissatisfaction is pretty much the same with alot of the other posts
1) This game does not give me the feel of being in the star trek universe...or for that matter in space. There is no sense of the vastness of space (the lack of Z axis)
2) The ground missions are uninspiried.
3) The heavy instancing robs you of a sense of community with fellow starship captains....the list pretty much is in tune with alot of other gripes.
I really did want to like this game :(

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 4:55PM Lionhearted said

Good job, Massively! It would be awesome if you could create a STO resource page, or something like that, where STO articles would appear... and where you could prominently place hyperlinks to great guides like this... really, this is fantastic....

not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but can we get more? I'd die to have one of these for the ships!! Cryptic has been horrible about posting info online about the different kinds of ships and their stats/capabilities.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 5:00PM dudemanjac said

Can someone tell me what is so different in these missions then from every other mmo? I would love to see some awesome crafted story with all sorts of things to do instead of fetch these or kill those, but that's the way mmos are. I'm not going to claim to have played every mmo.

I'm being serious here. Someone run a scenario for me that is not your standard mmo quest. And tell me which game I can go to to play these incredibly inspired quests.

I always thought of quests as getting a little bit of story and these are the things you do to get the other part of the story. While I will admit that the "travel the belt of this planet and take out 4-8 groups. around the belt" are lame, it's better than "kill these low spawning mobs for a chance to get 10 of those. Oh yeah and then run back to me so I can tell you what to do next."

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 7:30PM Ergonomic Cat said

So, how about those traits, huh?

Oh, right. 95% of the comments are about how people feel about the game.

You always pick your defining roles at the beginning. And it's always weird. But I can hardly fault STO for that. Nearly every RPG I've ever played had me picking my traits at character creation, and most have you pick your race and/or class at the start, locking you in. STO could have done better, but they chose to do what "works." That's not shocking.

I found that the traits define themselves pretty clearly. I wanted an engineer focus, so I took Techie, Astrophysicist, Effecient and then Peak Health. I'm enjoying it.

I made a ground combat monster, just for fun, took soldier, strength, damage reduction, and something else. I notice a definite difference in space.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 9:29PM (Unverified) said

@Dudemanjac

Thanks for clearing that up mate! :)

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 9:41PM (Unverified) said

So on the one hand we've got people saying that:
"the beginning traits and stats of a character matters very, very little"
and on the other hand we have people saying:
"I notice a definite difference in space."

..okies?

Anyhow, no matter the reality, just because games from 1982 have had a character creation that includes stat assignments in them, doesn't mean it's the best way to implement it.
Most folk these days would prefer to be a little more informed about their choices, and having an option to review or respec them is simply prudent. As for a system like this for those folks who prefer to be 'stuck' with their initial choices - that's fine; simply don't change them again..

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 1:03AM ZenJitsu said

I agree. Unfortunately, Cryptic's not very good at documentation, although they're always trying to put in new procedures to rectify that (internally and externally).

The problem is also magnified because a) you only have a base 2+1 characters to experiment with and b) respecs/retcons are part of their revenue plan. As much as we'd like it, we won't be seeing a Guild Wars style of skill swapping any time soon in this game.

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 10:37AM dudemanjac said

Actually, have they said for sure that the only respecs will come from store?

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 12:57PM ZenJitsu said

They haven't said anything of the sort; my statement that respecs are part of their revenue plan is evidenced by what they're doing in Champions Online, so in all fairness, I'm extrapolating based on their current business model.

Cryptic might surprise everyone and say 'respec anytime at a Starbase!' but you can place your own bets on that happening. :)

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 3:05PM dudemanjac said

Don't you have the ability to earn respecs in CO? Can't you also pay for it with ingame money?

Posted: Feb 1st 2010 10:42AM (Unverified) said

On a less directly flamy note.

Character creation by it's nature has to be done first so you have a character that has stats; so that the game system has a means of know how likely you are to fail or succeed at something. Letting you do tutorials to discover what you want to take wouldn't really help unless it was so insanely long that you could try out all the different skills etc. So any suggestion for that kind of system comes from a naive or inexperienced mind.

Having been doing RPG's for 20 years (TT, LARP, computer games, MMORPG etc) this system is used because it IS the best way of doing things, or more to the point the only way it works well. If you can't work out what traits you need then - you didn't read the manual! Thats what its there for! If you still can't work it out ask someone who knows more or find a document like this one.

MMORPGs means- Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Role-play is about making a character, creating there mind, emotions, background etc and then role-playing that character. Not about max/min's so you can make it the biggest blow s**t'upus character it can be. We experienced and true role-players have a term for that; it's called tinwking or a twink; when referring to the individual responsible for the described action. MMORPG's are full of um, non- RPG's who just don't get it. You look at it just like any other computer game.

If you are one you missed the whole point of what a RPG is all about, and are normally the people who complain about there not being enough info to max out your character, try think about this... Maybe that’s the point! Maybe ‘we’ don’t want you to be able to do that with any ease; I’m guessing this little point never entered you sophomoric, unimaginative, uncreative, puerile little minds!

Arrogant, self opinionated (ever so geeky), rant over LOL.

Posted: Jan 30th 2010 1:33PM (Unverified) said

You need to meet people, get out more.. *shiver

Posted: Jan 28th 2010 11:14PM BarGamer said

Does anyone think a Joined Trill Tactical/Escort with Efficient, Teamwork, Accurate, and Lucky would be a good build?

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 12:37AM ComputerSherpa said

Don't you think it's a bit of an overstatement to say that Elusive is "necessary" for space tanking? It gives you 0.1 to defense, big whoop. You'll overcome that with your first gear upgrade. Sure, if you're hell-bent on min-maxing, go ahead and optimize, but saying that humans can't tank well is a bit farfetched.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 6:35AM (Unverified) said

Great guide, thanks for the tips. To those that dont like the game....go play another. I like it, I think it feels like the ST Universe, that I have been familiar with FROM THE START (yes the original). There are somethings that could be improved upon but overall, very very well done.

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM