Posted: Jan 19th 2010 11:18AM Snow Leopard said

Eh, I never like it when there’s a preferred race for a role. I don’t want to roll a Betazoid tank and feel like I’m making an odd choice. Sure, it’s all min/maxing but in a social game, you’re always going to get crap for making a risky or creative choice. I suppose I could always just make my own race with tanking stats and call it a “Betazoid” but still, as a design philosophy, it seems like an odd thing for the developers to approach this in such a way.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 11:23AM yojibalinese said

I like this list almost exclusively for helping me with my BO skills. Now my engineers, scientists and tacticians can be better! For my Captain, I'm still going with what works best for me RP wise. I'm sure I'll eventually min/max but the beauty of STO (in open beta) is not having to do it. Eventually you'll just fill in all of your skills.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 11:25AM (Unverified) said

"..once you select your traits at character creation, you cannot revise them later on."

Given that most folk creating their character for the first time will have absolutely no idea which stats are for what (unless they read this guide or similar, of course) they will likely choose 'badly' or regrettably.

Or, at very least, post-tutorial being able to 'finalise' them a-la Oblivion et al.

I *so* want to love ST:O, but with so many frankly boggling design decisions;
- no z-axis, more instancing than any other MMO I can think of right now - even going into an office off to the side requires.. an instance!
- obviously square and 'room-ish' feeling space and ground maps that even show as much on the map
- unfinished-feeling clunky and unresponsive ground combat.. bah I shan't go on)
..I'm finding it extremely difficult to embrace, let alone my moral inner compass dry retching at the thought of handing over a purchase fee, sub fee, and possible MT's.

There a so many 'features' of the game that reek of 'rush-job' or 'cash-in' that it makes me sad.
Still, one only needs to look a couple of months into the past to see how Cryptic's business model works I guess (Champions Online, anyone?).

Oh and 'hi' Adam..

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 11:34AM (Unverified) said

Re: Character revisions

They will allow disproportionately and impossibly achievable overcharged retcons throughout leveling....

What!?

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 12:36PM (Unverified) said

Exactly my opinion. If you want people to pay you need to at least reach the quality of some of the better play for free games out there.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 4:45PM ultimateq said

I think you may be confusing instancing for zoning. From what I played of ST:O, the "instances" had other, un partied people in them.

Not saying that there isn't instancing, but there is certainly zoning involved.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 12:31AM ComputerSherpa said

Okay, speaking as someone who's been in since the beginning of Closed Beta, this poster is incorrect in almost every regard:

* You unlock a third character slot at level 5. So you'll wind up with three character slots, not two.
* There is a z-axis. Watch the videos if you doubt.
* There are lots of instances, but they're shared and public. This allows everybody to play on the same server without having huge traffic problems.
* I like the ground combat. Getting lucky with an AoE Expose/Exploit and vaporising three Klingons at once is *delicious*. If it feels clunky, try adjusting your settings--maybe it's your framerate.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 11:40AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Character creation is the most interesting thing of this game, going past this screen leads only to boredom. I don't think it will sustain the interest of a true mmo player, let alone a trekkie, bad thing is the title will lure a lot of people to buy it, but to what end?

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 12:05PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Amana

I agree with you, I do not like having set in stones stats BEFORE you even start playing your character. That was one thing I did not like about Eve Online, however they recently fixed this system and I believe it helped the game immensely.

I do like the fact that you can design your own race. I think this is very cool, but am curious how it will fit in with the Lore.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 2:17PM dudemanjac said

Easy. Space is big. Lots of aliens to discover. Any time there is a movie or season they introduce a new one. You actually have a spot where you can fill in your back story and name your race. In fact, if you want you can you the character creater to make an existing race and give him the traits you want. You will missout on some of the race specifics like neck pinch or telekinesis.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 12:16PM yojibalinese said

>>This, to my mind anyhow, is indicative of just how ill-thought the overarching gameplay mechanics in ST:O are.>This would be ok if ST:O offered the industry-standard amount of character slots, but with only 2 (yes, two) for a standard subscription, it makes we wonder why these character stats weren't built in to the early leveling process.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 2:11PM (Unverified) said

The devs have said you get a 3rd slot once you make a Klingon character that you can use to make another character of either race, its just not working like that in the beta.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 12:32PM Wensbane said

I think I picked Techie and Warp Theorist for my "Engineer". It made sense at the time, but honestly, I don't think this is the kind of decision I should be making so early in my career...

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 12:34PM Raithnor said

It should be noted that "Seductive" is for Orion Females ONLY. Orion males get something else just not entirely sure at the moment.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 1:18PM Chroma said

You can also get that for human females.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 2:10PM (Unverified) said

Well, I don't like that I can't get it for my male Gorn. I think he's all kinds of sexy and seductive too...just sayin...

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 12:39PM (Unverified) said

There are so many boggling decisions, the number of slots chief among them, that I have found myself going from ecstatic to wondering if I can get a refund. It's sad indictment of the game that the last few days I've found myself finding reasons not to play.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 12:44PM Bhima said

Not allowing some form of "respec" will mean utter fail for this game. In an age where the most popular MMO actually created dual-speccing with great success, I cannot see a gamer wanting to deal with such an oppressive system. I guarantee respeccing will be in the game within a few months.

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

Back on topic - in my experience ground traits are kinda wasted due to the quick nature of each combat situation (maybe different for PvP), therefore i'd be focusing on space traits exclusively with my character.

And, as in most MMOs, I suspect most of this stuff won't make a noticable difference past the first days of character age anyway...

Posted: Jan 19th 2010 1:30PM (Unverified) said

I've got my character in the beta spec'd all space at the moment, and I've found it to be slightly harder on the ground compared to previous character's that I've speced evenly. For that reason I can't *really* recommend it for the average player. But for a min/maxer looking at focusing heavily on endgame space combat, absolutely. But that's another discussion.

Some of the traits will absolutely be useless after the first few rank advancements and gear replacements, but some of them won't be -- in particular the threat generation traits. One of my goals here was to make it very clear that the expectant tank "has" to take those.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM