Posted: Jan 18th 2010 10:30AM ElfLove said

Ugh yea I have a feeling that SL is going to be utterly crawling with Na'vi-ish things in the months to come. >_<

Everyones going to be worshiping giant virtual trees and speaking the language...or something. This is going to be fun to watch that's for sure.

As for me.....I'll just stick to my purple skinned avatar with giant wings and a sword. ^_^

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 10:43AM (Unverified) said

None of the infringement avatars (that LL is mysteriously allowing to be sold even on xstreet but dare you mention Marilyn Monroe your stuff is wiped out) have the Na'vi ears placed at the eyebrow line. They all look dorky and fake as a result.

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 10:46AM (Unverified) said

Is that a copright infringement?

In MMO games like Champions Online, players are banned if they create a character that looks too much like e.g. Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc.

Is that a legal requirement?

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 10:52AM (Unverified) said

Well, super-hero games are definitely monitored closely for that sort of thing. There was a court-case (Marvel vs NCsoft) in which the two parties settled. Considering NCsoft's fairly heavy policing afterwards, we presume that the policing was both part of the settlement deal, and necessary to avoid additional lawsuits.

20th Century Fox would be within their rights to pursue this sort of thing, if they were so inclined.

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 10:48AM (Unverified) said

Some of the IMVU Na'vi look jolly nice from what I've seen.

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 2:56PM MewmewGrrl said

You know, no matter what they were shipping you, look at those prices!

Did it really come with a Water Purifier (I'm curious exactly what they shipped that they called a purifier, but still), food for a year (not that they'd eat much but again), Living Plasma, manual, etc, for $1.25? And 50 cents shipping! That's crazy. I guess it was close to 40 years ago tho by the date of the ad, just I was looking at all that and the price and was amazed :D

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 5:00PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

To put the $1.75 into perspective, in 1970 a loaf of bread cost 25 cents.

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 5:03PM (Unverified) said

It's the typical way that Hollywood takes an existing (insert what you want here: fantasy, idea, fact, history, geographic location, etc.) and just totally screws it up in a massive (heh, pun intended?) way.

it's not just Hollywood. The same way that news organizations and "media" in general totally hose information, it's no wonder our history lessons are skewed and likely no more than 50% true and politics the world-over is a compete disaster.

So, "Avatar" goes from some kind of Indian deity into a "representation" of something into a representation of you on the internet into and complete out-of-body experience and literally having one mind/two bodies like in the movie "Avatar".

Glad I got to watch it at home. Fun movie, story was too predictable, as for "best drama" that just makes me decided not to see what much be total crap that was released in 2009. LOL

Yes, Pandora does exist in SL and has been there for a LONG time... but it doesn't look the same! http://pandoradesigns.wordpress.com/2010/01/17/navi/

Posted: Jan 18th 2010 5:56PM (Unverified) said

YAY! SEA MONKEYS!!!

I get fresh sea monkeys every time I eat a Cup-o-Noodle shrimp flavored.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014