Posted: Jan 14th 2010 6:15PM (Unverified) said

Planetside is a fantastic game, and it's true, nothing like it has come along since.

You don't always need to fight along lattice lines, sometimes bringing down a non-adjacent base you can't capture will still turn the tide of the war, such as preventing an enemy army from spawning tanks. The fights really do get dynamic, a fight on a single continent can feel like many different battles, simply by the line of scrimmage moving.

The problems about going back at this point are that the experienced players that remain seem only interested in private skirmishes, like clan matches. They pick a time, find a desolate tower, and fight without concern for the war.

There are now large cliques of 'zerg brigades' that just march through the maps systematically, which can ruin the balance of a good fight. There are still lag hacks and unaddressed exploit issues.

Not to mention it's still a hefty $15/mo, which is a tall bill for a long-in-the-tooth game. If they'd bring back the Reserves program, I'd give it another go.

I digress. If you haven't played it and like epic FPS games, this one can't be missed. Even the aged graphics look stunning when you realize you can see a whole continent in one giant, seamless expanse.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 6:18PM SgtBaker said

• 1 heart
> But a few years ago, having an online war with 300 people at once was unheard
> of until one game pushed the boundaries and made it so

*cough* EVE *cough*

Posted: Jan 15th 2010 1:08PM TacosWLove said

I am I the only Planetside guy out here that knows the real max pop for a fight in the game?

The max amount of people on a continent is 399, NOT 300. You can check this very easily, you do a /who vs(tr or nc) before the cont has less then 100+ positions left and you'll get up to 25 before it truncated. you add 8 more people and BAM, now it says 100 positions and will begin to count down to 0. You use to be able to fill a cont with one empire, but now the reserve each empire to 133 as the pop has dwindled.

Also this quote really bugs me:
"So why should you choose this game when there are so many newer alternatives available?"
There is NO alternative to Planetside! BF2 with 256 players is NOT planetside(MAG). MMO with 64 player caps is NOT planetside(Global Agenda).

I have said time and time again on this site, there is nothing like it! And its so simple, put 400 people together on a completely(almost) conquerable world with planes/bombers/tanks/cloakers/max units/drop ships and allow them to fight to take over the world! Every class is here!

I HAVE BEEN WAITING 7 YEARS FOR ANYTHING LIKE IT! PLEASE GAMEGODS GIVE ME PLANETSIDE 2 OR SOMETHING LIKE IT!!!!

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 6:40PM pcgneurotic said

They were both released in May 2003, so meh tbh.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:17PM (Unverified) said

Ahh, Planetside will always be my favourite MMO as it was my first.

At it's peak the action was non-stop and fierce, being part of a large raid striking to the heart of enemy territory was amazing. The teamwork and organisation was the real glue that bound the players to the game and delivered some of the most unique gameplay I've ever encountered.
Combine that with the persistent world & the character cert system and you had a game that never felt old and that offered you something new every time you spawned on Auraxis.

Sadly the game isn't what it once was, the Devs pretty much abandoned it for a few years and now to increase content they just up the level cap,very boring and defeating the point of the cert trees.

If that wasn't enough to put me off there is a rather large problem in the game with hacking and very blatant exploit at that. Sadly the hacker problem hasn't been addressed and it's the main reason I ended my 5 year subscription, hopefully a second maybe in the pipeline though
v-s-d-t!

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:23PM (Unverified) said

I really wish Blizzard would do to Planetside what they did to Everquest. Take a clunky good idea and polish it into a brilliant phenomenon!

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 9:57PM (Unverified) said

Wasn't there a rumor floating around that Blizzards next-gen MMO might be an FPS...

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:26PM Anatidae said

I often wonder why there has not been another MMOFPS like Planetside. Servers have only gotten faster too.

Makes you wonder why a game like Champions chokes when they start loading over 100 people in a zone. 7 year old server clusters work where Cryptic's modern computers can't cut the mustard. Guess the fault is in the code.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:28PM Kalu said

Planet side is to this day was the best gaming experience i have ever had !!!!!!!!

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:33PM (Unverified) said

I loved Planetside but it had the same problem that EVE does...when over 100 people fight in one spot, the lag makes it unplayable.

The BFR was the beginning of the end for Planetside because of balance issues. When SOE took a hit for SWG as well, potential new players avoided the game.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:57PM ultimateq said

"SOE is working on Planetside II. Due to player demands, they will be adding the Jedi."

You had me laughing pretty hard. Goodness Gracious. The memories of all of that, I remember it SOO well.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:36PM (Unverified) said

Played it religiously for 6 years, was even one of the first BR25's on emerald. But it's nothing without the community, and a lot of them straight up left, the first wave leaving when Battlefield 2 hit. I'd root for a Planetside 2 but then again I cannot stand SOE, tired of putting up with them, from the way they managed their older online games to the way they dealt with customer service.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:49PM Dread said

Umm WW2 Online - 2001 and STILL GOING STRONG!

Real PvP

Not only can you run around as infantry with a plethora of accurately modeled weapons but you can drive vehicles and armour, haul and fire anti-tank and anti - aircraft guns PLUS it has authentically modeled aircraft (fighters, bombers and transport). All rolled up on the biggest game world of any MMO on a single server.

Posted: Jan 15th 2010 7:47PM Valdamar said

Ahh yes, good old WW2 Online - TAXI TO VICTORY! :p

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 7:56PM ultimateq said

Damnit Massively. Now you have me wanting to play planetside.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 8:33PM Stanzig said

As much as I can't stand SOE for stupid things they have done in the past, I am tempted to pick up an all access pass for some planetside action and everquest nostalgia 8).

Isn't the max population per empire 133 in Planetside on any continent? Which would totally blow away MAG's 256 with 399. I haven't played in a while but iirc the cap is per empire higher than 100. Poplocks o how I miss thee...

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 8:44PM Gaugamela said

It's funny how SOE dominated the market before WoW hit with such fantastic MMOs like EQ and Planetside but nowadays they don't have a single big MMO done by them in terms of paying subscribers. It feels like they stagnated.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 9:08PM (Unverified) said

First playing this game back in 2005, I remember being thrown into my first large scale battle. It truly was a breathtaking experience at the time.. In my opinion, this game was the best idea that ever came to the MMO industry. I lost interest over the years though because of graphical glitches and the lack of players it once had. Now if this game was remade by a company other than SOE, THAT would be awesome!

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 9:45PM (Unverified) said

I wish Planetside had a trial :'(

Posted: Jan 15th 2010 5:15PM (Unverified) said

It does, just like any SOE game, just download the launcher and you can get it from there. Unless things have changed in the last month or so.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM