Posted: Jan 13th 2010 7:23PM Cendres said

I got confused in the last paragraph. Are you saying Steam has un-moderated chat services that they should think about closing or moderating? Or were you still talking about POL?

POL also has a lame spam filter for their email service, it's horrible. I'm glad the whole thing is getting scrapped, cool idea but it just wasn't implemented well, I think playonline was too far ahead of it's time.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 7:39PM Keen and Graev said

The viewer is complete garbage. Thank god it's being abandoned for FFXIV.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 7:54PM FlareSama said

Agreed, I used to hate the multitude of clicks just to get to the login screen on FFXI only to click some more.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 8:08AM Snow Leopard said

I'm not saying this was the only reason I stopped playing FFXI after my trial or even a large part of it, but having to remember a second login as well as click through half a dozen more load screens certainly did not help.

What a breath of fresh air when WoW loaded up instantly.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 7:55PM Dblade said

Yeah the chatrooms were always in there, surprised PFA took so long to notice. The Playonline viewer wasn't that bad. The worse issue I hear is that the PS2 DNAS servers seem to be slowly shutting down. Not sure how accurate it is since I no longer play, but that means its xbox360 or nothing now.

The viewer was more for the console players though, and it actually was very handy for us.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 7:57PM EvaliaMagic said

One of the worst of the many poor choices in Square's history with the game, glad to see it gone!

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:53PM ultimateq said

And the world rejoices! HALLELUJAH

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:42PM (Unverified) said

This launcher is the sole reason I no longer play the game. I just wonder how many other people this P.O.S. chased away.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:57PM fairyfay said

well i do agree that POL viewer wasnt implemented the best, but i dont agree witih most of you that it was horrible. i loved playing FFXI so that viewer dident really matter to me much because after you get through that, you got to enjoy the wonderful game of FFXI. its not like the doctors office, where u sit in the horrid room for ages then go see the doctor and get nothing out of it. after that you can be pissed. but not for FFXI :D

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 12:02AM (Unverified) said

Um ... have to completely agree with you.

There is very little to complain about with the POL Viewer. The only thing that was extremely annoying was the ability it had to lag slightly every once in a while. It was clunky, but it was effective at doing what it wanted to do at the time.

You have to realize that it was created before WoW caused Teamspeak and Ventrilo to permeate the MMO scene so completely. The MMO crowd didn't exactly all know what IRC was either. So having a place to gather and talk while servers were down, etc was a good thing.

POL also is the forefather of the "new" Battle.net features such as multigame friendslists, multigame messaging, etc. POL was my first exposure to these ideas. To be able to login to any PC and send a friend an in game msg from anywhere without the need to login to the game. Sure XBL and PSN and other gaming setups have used this, but this was well before their time.

If there was any real issue with POL, it was the lag. WoW, Warhammer, Aion, all have launcher apps as well. POL just is the only one that you can not circumvent and the only one where you actually login to the game from it. To me POL was a mess, but it did somethings that we wanted at the time. We just dont need some of them anymore.

I thank God that POL wont be a part of XIV. However, I do look forward to some for of POL like Friends/Network system like POL and now Battle.net will give us.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 10:03PM Mystal said

I predict that Square-Enix ends up banning thousands of innocent people by mistake.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 10:08PM Tizmah said

Alright, having to go into that viewer every time was a slight pain to just get to the game.

But I don't think having something like the viewer is wrong. It should work more like steam how to conviently is accessed mid games. Very useful tool

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 11:20PM Arkanaloth said

I don't think the POL viewer ever really served any purpose, I doubt it will be missed.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 11:38PM (Unverified) said

Well, other than finding new backgrounds for said POL viewer, nope, not a single point lol.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 12:03AM Laephis said

Well, I guess I'm the only one left who actually liked the pol viewer. I enjoyed the "feel" of it, if that makes sense: the sounds, the sense that you were logging into something different/special. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but the whole thing felt very "Square-like" and I kind of miss it.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 12:35AM RogueJedi86 said

At the least, I liked the FFXI-specific part of the PlayOnline Viewer, with all the essential info on upcoming downtime and game content. I like how the FFXI-specific area's background switches between pictures of various FFXI locales, it helped bring me into the game before lauching.

I didn't know there was a chatroom though.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 4:13AM (Unverified) said

The only thing I'll miss about the POL viewer, is the music. Even years later, it still pops up in the back of my brain at times.

Back-in-the-day when FFXI first came out, logging in seemed so futuristic... now, its just a pain to go through the POL viewer.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 9:13AM RogueJedi86 said

Oh yeah, the classy little piano pieces brings me back to POL. Memoriessss :D

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 5:19AM (Unverified) said

I liked the Playonline Viewer myself, but I certainly don't think it should have been mandatory to use it to play the game. It should be more like the Station Launcher, it's there if you want it but you can just run the game from its .exe if you want to.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 9:13AM RogueJedi86 said

I can't run SWG without going through Station Launcher. Running the SWG exe just opens the Station Launcher. Then again, I downloaded it from scratch, without my original retail disks.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM