Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:21AM TexRob said

While not an MMO...yet, Torchlight has such an immediate reward for fishing that it's hard to "put the rod down" so to speak. I seem to remember WoW doing it pretty well, but haven't played in a long time. I am glad it's not in Aion, because I fear what it'd be like (0.00001% drop rate on some rare fish)

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:25AM (Unverified) said

I enjoy MMO fishing for its instant gratification factor. I think Free Realms does it especially well with their new Fishing job.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:31AM Wisdomandlore said

Does anyone remember the FFXI quest to catch 1 million fish for that one rod? ~_~

Overall I find fishing in MMOs to be pretty lackluster. Now fishing in the Breath of Fire games, Zelda games, or in Dark Cloud 2...that's a different story

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:54AM myr said

It was 10,000 moat carps >.> Never did it myself, but I have a friend that did. Or rather, a friend that bought over half of them. Wasn't really worth it unless you had fairly high fishing skill anyway.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:34AM rgoff31 said

Yay. Still waiting for EVE include a fishing skill.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:57AM DFuzzy1 said

You could always go fishing for miners in asteroid fields :P

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:33AM Tom in VA said

"Mind-numbingly tedious" pretty much sums fishing up for me.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:38AM (Unverified) said

Fishing in-game (world of warcraft is the only MMO I play) isn't exactly exciting or even fun, but it is kind of easy. It also helps cooking level, which is something else that I didn't realize was important until I was somewhere in the 70-80 level range. There are fishing quests, woo xp, money, and fish to cook.. but it isn't until you can fish in northrend AND cook what you catch that its truly worth the time catching. If your toon is one that has mana (the toon I did this on is a night elf druid), the fish that you cook generate health and mana. This cuts down on what you have to carry, and the need to buy food or make/buy potions. Side note, alchemy near 400 lets you create endless heath and endless mana flasks, those are good in a pinch but have a cooldown.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:36AM myr said

Not everyone thinks fishing in real life is "mind-numbingly tedious" :p Depends really on what type of fishing you're doing...

As far as MMOs go though, I did it quite a bit in FFXI as an easy moneymaker, especially in the early years, selling yellow globes to all the aspiring alchemists. WoW had plenty of rewards for its fishing, so it was somewhat worthwhile there. I'd really like to see an MMO do fishing like in Zelda:OoT though. That would be fun.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:28AM jealouspirate said

Yeah, fishing in real life is actually the greatly enjoyed hobby of many, many people. Not really fair to call it 'mind-numbingly tedious'.

My Father, for example, is a fly fisherman and enjoys being out on the river almost more than anything else.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:05AM Pingles said

I still get a thrill thinking of when I would see "Floating Debris" in WoW. It was a great chance at some really good loot.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:24AM GenericPerson said

In WoW I always started it up thinking I'd level it up a little bit at a time. I always get to 75-100 and I realize that I've got so many other things I can do that would actually progress my character. Why fish when you can kill x boars, bears, lions and level up cooking while gaining experience. I might rethink my logic if for each fish you got something more than a point in a stat that has no meaning in the game at all other than the ability to cast out upon a pond in a higher level area.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:25AM (Unverified) said

I like Atlantica Online's fishing mechanic. You literally start auto fishing, go AFK and leave the computer on overnight.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:27AM Gaugamela said

I like the fishing skill in MMOs. While not an MMO, i think that Torchlight makes fishing very well (the fish transform your pet in different mobs with different skills) and it gives nice loot sometimes.

WoW also does it well, and it integrates fishing very well in the greater scheme of the non-essential crafting professions like First Aid, Cooking and Fishing.
In fact, i consider one of the strong points in WoW, that with one character you can do so many things: be a PvEer (doing dungeons), develop the essential crafting skills, develop the non-essential crafting skills and be a PvPer, besides still having the chance to obtain a load of mounts and vanity pets.

I think that more MMOs should include fishing and other ordinary crafting professions. It's part of making an MMO more of a persistent world where one immerse in the game, relax and break from the monotony of doing the same thing over and over again.
The more features an MMO has the more likely it is that a player will spend more time (thus money) exploring all the features. Considering, ofcourse that there is enough polish on the features.
Therefore, fishing (as well as other professions) is somewhat important for me in an MMO.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:52AM (Unverified) said

Actually fishing was the only thing that kept bringing be me back to WoW.

I love exploring, and as each zone gave you different types of fish to catch and use in crafting, it was a match made in heaven. Fishing gave you something nice and peaceful to do while you chat with guildies and take a breather from questing.

Although I don't play WoW anymore, I've never found a game with the level of interesting fishing options I found in WoW.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 10:15AM (Unverified) said

I remember sneaking into Org. in Wow to catch the special fish for some achievement. Hmmm... No wonder I left WoW... :P

I don't really fish that often in games. I like trying out the mechanic, but I am not usually wowed with the fun factor.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 5:18PM (Unverified) said

When I used to play WoW my friends and I would go to the lake in the summer with a couple of six packs and our tackle and enjoy the nice weather. When winter rolled in we just moved it to Feralas.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 11:23AM (Unverified) said

I like it when fishing is there because I don't want to grind out levels or go on raids all the time. Sometimes, I just want to relax while still doing something beneficial for my character. Fishing hits the spot!

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 12:08PM Seffrid said

I have enjoyed fishing in WoW as it is productive in the way it yields food for my hunter's pet, but I never got into it in LoTRO as there didn't seem to be the same point in it for me.

However, I welcome such features in any MMO, whether tradeskill-related or purely as "fluff", given that the more features and options a game has the more appeal it offers. Fishing in particular is also a boon to any role-player!

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 12:15PM (Unverified) said

Fishing will be awesome in APB!