Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:09PM FlareSama said

Tip 1: Do not attempt to play this game with a Nvidia GPU.
Nvidia GTX 275 896 MB of DDR3 memory? Check.

Tip 2: Do not attempt to play this game with Realtek HD Audio.
Realtek HD Audio? Check. Although I do have a SB Gamer X-Fi card but the vid card covers the slot. :(

Tip 3: Do not attempt to play this game with recent drivers of any kind.
Latest drivers installed? Check.

Tip 4: Do not attempt to play this game with a 64-bit OS.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit?. Check.

...and running it all nicely on a self built desktop. I'm not having any problems playing the game.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 8:51PM ash clarke said

Windows 7 64 bit
Realtek HD Audio
Nvidia 9700M GT

Playing on a laptop and it runs with no issues (except the typical and expected beta crashing/lagging)

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 8:24PM (Unverified) said

Works fine for me, and i fall into all of those categories.

Posted: Jan 15th 2010 11:20AM (Unverified) said

"Tip 1: Do not attempt to play this game with a Nvidia GPU.

Tip 2: Do not attempt to play this game with Realtek HD Audio.

Tip 3: Do not attempt to play this game with recent drivers of any kind.

Tip 4: Do not attempt to play this game with a 64-bit OS."

I am playing the beta right now with Win 7 x64 and updated nvidia drivers (running in sli no less) and the realtek audio... no issues at all. I'm not saying they don't exists for some people but they are not as bad as you make them out to be.

Posted: Jan 17th 2010 11:57PM (Unverified) said

I have Nvidia GPU with latest updates and Nvidia motherboard with realtek audio and latest drivers the only thing differant is that I use XP home and not the horribly unstable Vista. I have had no issues with my hardware save a little lag that is expected in all new MMOs. For some reason I can play Unreal or CoD online on full servers with no lag but MMOs allways lag Hmm oh well.

9600GT
Athlon 4850 dualcore
2GB Ram

Posted: Jan 20th 2010 2:48AM Unverfied B said

Let's see...
My GPU is GeForce GT285
My audio is based on Realtek ALC888
The computer runs Win7 64...
... That was reinstaled yesterday, with all the drivers being reshly downloaded off the net.

IH SHI~

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 4:45PM GenericPerson said

Thanks to Massively I got myself and two of my friends keys. I'll be enjoying the game as soon as I get home from work. I enjoyed reading the article Kyle and if the game is worth my hard earned cash I'll be looking forward to more articles from you.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 4:50PM (Unverified) said

I'm also running on Windows 7 64 bit but with an ATI video card. No problems here. I like that the interface and tutorial are WAY better than Champions Online. Can't wait to play some more tonight!

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 6:03PM AyAitch said

And eventually, we'll get AA back, and then the game will really be rockin'.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 5:03PM Interitus said

Tip #8. Go get your refund

This game has so many issues, and the devs did so little to fix things we brought to light. I've now counting down the days to TOR for my space MMO fix.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 5:08PM (Unverified) said

"This game has so many issues, and the devs did so little to fix things we brought to light." - Average WoW beta tester, circa Oct. 2004

I get your grief -- I really do -- but this is par for the course in MMOs. Heck, do you even think SWTOR will have space in it? It may not, you know. I'll still play both it and STO, though. :)

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 5:17PM Phatleet said

I lost my beta key yesterday 'cause of a blackout...or maybe is guinan's spirit preventing me to spend any hd space or bandwith in this clearly unfinished and somewhat boring game(Well I shouldn't say boring without trying but still).

Anywho...thanks massively for this opportunity to try something new, keep the good work.

ps. You should change that giveaway sistem, or maybe improve it, If I got a key and close the explorer I'm fudge, that shouldn't be the case, there sould be a way to retreive that key or something.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 5:24PM dudemanjac said

Which issues are you talking about? I thought they were doing pretty good on fixing stuff.

They are not going to do anything to the map if that's one. They seem to be pretty set on it. I just wish it looked more like warp. I wouldn't mind being on my bridge during warp. I had this idea about accessing the map from the bridge and then you would get to see the stars whizzing by on the screen. Alas, no one bit.

It bugs me more after watching Star Trek III earlier today. Figured I would immerse myself. I could have picked a better one to watch. I had some curiosity about use of ship phasers in that movie. Know what I found out? They never used 'em? In fact I'm thinking Wrath of Kahn might be the most phaser fire out of all of the original cast movies.

Oops, I descended into nerd-talk. I'm done.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 11:26PM ultimateq said

There was only 1 issue that bothered me was.... Rubberbanding. To be expected, there were LOTS of people online, causing some packet loss, the server couldn't quite keep up. Still lots of fun despite that crappy rubber banding.

The ground combat is reminiscent of pre-nge SWG.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 12:27AM RogueJedi86 said

How do you get a refund for a free beta?

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 6:02PM AyAitch said

Nice tips, though the first point - on class - comes across as more daunting than it really is in game.

The innate perks you choose for your character at the beginning of the game do make your character better in certain ways (get more power out of the warp core, higher accuracy in space, more damage resistance on the ground), but they don't specialize your character into only that type of combat. You'll be playing both type of combat alot - choose the ones that you think you'll like, and don't think that the "other" type of combat will be gimped because of it.

Also, all three classes have access to all the same space skills. The only thing that differentiates character's space abilities is that at levels 8, 18, 28, 38, and 48, they learn a class-specific space ability, i.e. they have access to five class-only abilities.

But that's it. Otherwise, character's space abilities are the exact same. They can fly any ship type they want, and have access to all the same skills. There are natural affinities, sure, but any combination can work really, really well.

What class really affects is ground combat. Not only does each class get unique ground abilities (like in space), but your class also determines 1) what kits you can equip, and 2) what skills you can train up.

SO. I'd say: pick whatever class you actually like and want to play, and barring that, look into what ground fighting you'd like use. Space combat is more determined by what type of ship you fly than anything else - but you can fly any type you want, no restrictions.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 6:20PM pcgneurotic said

Yah, your choice of bridge consoles and ship mods makes up a huge portion of how your ship performs, although yes, there is some convergence based on class/ship type.

My handy tip is: For a faster way to re-arrange the UI, simply press F12 to toggle the re-arrange feature on and off.

Now, does anyone know how to unlock the action bars so I can rearrange my skill/power icons?

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 7:18PM dudemanjac said

Left click and drag.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 6:19PM MewmewGrrl said

"I recommend some coffee or tea while you wait for the warp engines to take you where you need to go. Some Earl Grey perhaps?"

Wow, so goofy to say :P

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 6:40PM macallen said

You can use your replicator anywhere, even on the ground. You can't bring up the UI, but if you drag things to the button you will "sell" them and get credits. Makes life easier when you need to pick something up and your bags are full.

I play with an x64 gpu and have no problems at all.

2 tips I'd like to offer, both editing in keyboard bindings:
1. Bind "Fire all weapons" to the space bar. Until you get higher up and start getting more specialized, it's so much easier just to shoot everything.
2. Bind "Distribute energy to shields" to something easy, like a mouse button if you have extras. I hit that button more than anything else in combat.