Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:15PM (Unverified) said

I really think it needs to be a healthy mix of both. Player rewards are essential to developing attachment to a player, it's no doubt. However, I believe account rewards are essential to rewarding players for their accomplishments without altering the balance of the game. No matter how many different races you give me, if my main character does not have an epic sword I will be sad! :)

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 10:15PM (Unverified) said

Some ones never heard of Kheldians :(

And no, you don't get a hint if you don't know it :)

Suffice to say, your a few years late to the party.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 10:26PM Bezza said

I don’t mind games that offer loyalty rewards like several MMO games do. I think loyalty rewards are great. But tying in a major class or faction to having to get another character to X level before it becomes available I think is bad policy.

Level 6 in STO in one character before you can access klingons isn’t too extreme but it does force players to run a character they may have no real interest in, thank goodness it’s only level 6.

On the other hand, CoX for example which had special classes that only unlocked when you got another character of the same faction to max level is a really bad idea. As a gamer who pays for a game I dislike the idea of having to unlock content by achieving something with a completely unrelated character.

I see this as a restriction and in some cases almost punishing players for not achieving goals they may have no interest in. It also opens up games for abuse. I know there are no shortage of CoX players who had a non descript toon power leveled by RMT’s in order to unlock content they were legitimately interested in and then would go on and happily play that newly unlocked class.

One reason I don’t play racing games and some fps shooters is the whole unlock content idea, it sucks and penalises casual gamers.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 12:20AM (Unverified) said

I haven't made a Klingon in STO, but perhaps the silver lining from a developement perspective is that it saves them from having to create two separate tutorials. Cryptic seems to have developed a reputation for short-cutting, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 9:21AM (Unverified) said

I agree with Mitch. It feels like shortcutting. Having to "earn" a Klingon toon in STO seems a bit off the mark. There are better ways of cutting corners while still retaining unique faction story lines. The Klingon could have been sent to Starfleet in disguise as an infiltrator gathering intel for the empire. All of his/her quests could take place within the federation starting areas.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 11:22AM (Unverified) said

I think it's essential on STO that you make players finish the tutorial before thrusting them into PvP if you want them to ever try the game again. And up to level 6 on the fed side is the tutorial.

It would be better to have a separate Klingon tutorial but they don't have time to make one now so..

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 10:27PM (Unverified) said

there are 5 fundamental rewards the rest are gimmicks

Being able to customize your avatar, your units, your identity, your representation. Being unique.

Changing the world forever by your actions as a player. Living in a dynamic world that changes according to players. Participating in world wide live events. The size of the world. Freedom.

A sense of progression within the game versus a progression in real life gaming skills. The famous experience, veterancy or level system.

Available game data and statistics that measure the players' individual and global impacts on the world, acting as a measure of change.

And finally teamplay.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 10:45AM (Unverified) said

Am I the only person who thinks the concept of having more than one character is silly? My least favorite thing in an MMO is to pick a character, pick a class, invest a bunch of time and effort into him, and then learn that I need to start from scratch and make a new character if I want to experience a difference class, or try quests I didn't see the first time.

I also feel like the ability to create multiple characters encourages escapism, to the point of going back to the days of UO where you'd have a main account, then a PvP account just so you can irk people off in anonymity.

I'd really prefer more games to merge the roles of player and character to be one in the same, so player rewards and character rewards are indistinguishable.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 12:55PM (Unverified) said

Let me rephrase what I meant by account rewards, I don't necessarily like the idea of getting races by doing things. Again, if I want to play a certain race but I have to unlock it, then there is a very strong possibility I will not like the game.

I believe account rewards should ADD something to every character, whether it be new dialogue to NPC's or graphic skins that set people apart.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 3:20PM cray said

I prefer player rewards as it encourages progression of the game as opposed to character-progression. I think the key to rewards is how we go about achieving them. I personally don't agree with forcing self-improvement (leveling up) to gain access to player rewards.

I would prefer to gain player rewards by exploration and interaction of the dynamic world as well as other players. I think character rewards should be inconsequential to gameplay. Leveling up shouldn't be rewarded at all. It does not encourage positive MMO gameplay. It's a RPG mechanic that does nothing but separate the character from other players and it surroundings.

Posted: Jan 15th 2010 5:41PM Bezza said

Yea I agree that in STO level 6 is not much of an ask. Personally I dislike that Klingons are being presented as a PvP faction, they should be a fully fledged faction as should all major political/racial groups in STO. Who knows maybe they will someday. That Said, my main concern is that the idea of having to unlock content such as is the case in CoX might be adopted elsewhere. That is what my post is primarily concerned with responding to.

I would be vastly disapointed if say a significant faction like Romulans of Borg were added but only became unlocked once you maxed out a Federation toon. This i feel would be a terrible mistake and lead to all kinds of abuse as it does in some other MMO's.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014