Posted: Jan 12th 2010 4:15PM Snow Leopard said

Eh this game just kind of feels like a set of battlegrounds rather than a massive multiplayer game. It’s an fps, a large-scale fps with many of the improvements we’ve seen developed in the genre over the last decade, but it’s still just an fps. There’s no sense of exploration or persistence being promised here and that’s really the feature I’m waiting for first person shooters to tackle.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 4:42PM karnisov said

nice objective review. wish more articles on massively were like this.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 4:44PM Slob Zombie said

Can you start over in a new faction? What a terrible design if you can't. You and a friend might start independently on different factions and then you're permanently screwed.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 4:46PM Seraphina Brennan said

If you want to delete your character, yes, you can switch factions. Mind you you'll lose all your levels and weapon access rights.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 4:47PM Slob Zombie said

That's good enough for me. Just as long as there's some way to play with your boys.

Posted: Jan 14th 2010 6:35PM nomoredroids said

It didn't really seem like there was much incentive to keep your character.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 6:19PM (Unverified) said

My impressions from the open beta were mixed. While I really enjoyed game play (MW2 feels sped up in comparison), there are issues with lag. My friends and I have very good connections but would see delayed reactions to shots. I could move completely behind cover, see the spray of bullets from the enemy hit the spot I used to occupy. It was then I noticed those same bullets were hitting/killing me.

While there are games where I did not see this, on the larger games (256) it was much more prevalent. These larger games themselves feel more chaotic when not with a well organized group.

It is too easy to gain XP as a medic. I honestly think they should have a separate XP system for healing. My friend and I can consistently be #1 to #3 on our team while still acquiring 20 to 30 kills. Sometimes it is just humorous how far ahead we are (800 points compared to the next individual with 300).

The fact that I can snipe snipers with the Valor machine gun. It only gets better with attachments.

I also found the maps got very repetitive. Overall, I found the game play to be enjoyable and leveling to be fun. It reminded me more of Battlefield PC games (2142, etc). I did not enjoy playing COD:MW2 (multiplayer) again after playing MAG.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 7:03PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I disagree with everything you have said. You sir, are wrong.

Posted: Jan 17th 2010 9:02PM Avolii said

I actually agree with everything you said here. I enjoyed MAG for what it was worth and hope that after release it gets additional love. No doub it will and hopefully will continue to improve.

LoL, I can't get back into MW2 myself. It feels so run and gun/spray and pray now. Not to mention the camping going on in hardcore.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 6:47PM JaySpeed said

Is there a sub fee? I'd love a COD type game with lots of players at once. Chaos can be lots of fun.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 7:14PM (Unverified) said

i think it will do good from what i read, since its on PS3 wich i think lacks in the BF2 type games area.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 9:09PM (Unverified) said

No sub fee.

I like this game. I had no problems with lag (went to level 10 during Open Beta and got into the 256 player map) and overall, the game was enjoyable. Was it a "groundbreaking, innovative title"... nope. Does that really matter? Not at all. They took the best elements from the Rainbow Six loadout/leveling mechanic and the best mechanic from the Battlefield series in terms of mass war and merged them into a quasi-MMO shooter. Fun.

The 128v128 took a lot of getting used to. Probably the best simulation of "war" we've had so far in video games in terms of large armies and the chaos that brings.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 12:43PM (Unverified) said

You'll never be able to shoot 256 people. The maps are separated to where a number of squads fight an equal number of squads over objectives from beginning to end. See what happens in the 256 player maps when it's the final push and you respawn in the center of the map. It's framerate ownage until you travel to the objectives you need to defend.

The lag is rare, but lag spikes do occur occasionally. Either way, the features and combat are kind of basic, which isn't a bad thing, but when you realize how massive the battles truely aren't, at least not in a way you'll ever see going after your set objectives with your squad, the basic gameplay/features really don't make up for it. Also, the vehicles are limited and rather lame. That's a major disappointment.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 6:40AM Theeinferno said

I think Zipper really are selling the game on the point of that you can play with 256 people. But, I think there are more drawbacks of this game than good selling points. This game will be plagued by players who get their kills from peeps who aren't looking, peeps with no real talent, and over time will lose a lot of players to even make up one full game. They should've continued with their Socom games.

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 9:07AM oddshrub said

Tad surprised to find this on massively as I haven't considered it a MMO of any sort. You join a faction, you gain levels and chose skills that specialize your character and it supports 256 player battles. But overall it's just a FPS. A really awesome FPS at that though.

This is the first FPS I've been interested in since starsiege tribes, and playing the open beta I didn't get disappointed. I experienced little problems with it. Once in a while you'd move into the safety of cover barely escaping a rain of bullets, thinking you've made it, only to die a few seconds later. Another couple of times the server would lockup, or even crash, but it seemed to keep and update your stats despite it.

Of course this is me talking after 10 hours of play, because the first few games I spend the majority of my time running around in utter confusion. Getting shot before ever seeing any enemies. As illustrated by Penny-arcade. But once you get a hang of things this is really a marvelous FPS.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM