Posted: Jan 11th 2010 6:12PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
......really?!

Why is EVE the only niche mmo given press when two more people sub to the game or some miner boxes two more accounts? It is ignorant at best to constantly give this MMO an attaboy everytime they beat their old record of small subs at peak times.

I cant help but wonder, and i have been told by the staff here that CCP pays them nothing, these folks, or at least a couple get some type of kickback to keep posting about EVE so much. A person just has to wonder.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 6:30PM Berzerk said

Yes, thanks. You hate EVE. We get it. You can stop any time now.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 6:34PM Lateris said

What MMORPG's do you play?

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 9:35PM Serious Table said

"It serves no purpose other than showing us, and anyone just happening by to this site that EVE is pathetic and has a small minority customer base of 27k folks avg over the last two years and at peak times the gold sellers and boxers log on everything. Now move along."

Try again, buddy. What this goes to show is that CCP is still leading the industry as far as a stable "Single Shard" set up. They're showing that their technology is able to handle Fifty-four THOUSAND people online at the same time. Your precious World of Warcraft or Aion is lucky to handle a couple thousand at a time per server.

So pats on the backs are wholly deserved for CCP and EVE Online. They're showing it can be done, and that it works, which paves the way for games that allow players to make a significant impact to what they're playing, instead of just another WoW clone.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 2:50AM Firebreak said

And by 27k you mean 300k, or do you think that everyone plays MMOs at the exact same time?

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 10:54PM dudemanjac said

I'm not a massive fan of the game, but I think it is pretty impressive. It's not that they have only so many ppl playing it's that they have them oll playing on one server cluster. I believ that has been the big deal all along. I don't knoe how many ppl are on a WoW server at a time. Anyone got those numbers?

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 7:20PM hmmdar said

This is a really great thing, but the fact that 0.0 is significantly broken at the moment due to lag overshadows this a bit.

The lag is so bad in some situations people are getting the insurance for their ship that was blown up and keeping the ship at the same time. Not to mention CCP allowing a station to be taken over while it was in a bugged state, and the many cases of people not loading the grid when they jump into a system for sometimes up to an hour later.

Dominion was supposed to reduce blobing and bring more opportunities to small corporations and alliances, but it has done the exact opposite. Blobing is how you win, and it is bringing the EvE's servers to its knees.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 6:38PM DrewIW said

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 10:41AM (Unverified) said

That's a shame.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 6:20PM Critical Mass said

I wouldn't mind re-designing some aspects of Eve but I have to admit it is a solid game with a promonisng future. Abit open ended, if one doesn't mind sticking around.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 6:50PM DrewIW said

mmorpg.com game of the year!

Obviously a "niche" and "pathetic" game.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 9:27PM ultimateq said

Wow So cool, W101 was on the list. That's fantastic, because it really deserves at least a nomination. Now onto Eve, I am happy to see that it won. Because I think it's worthy.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 10:44AM (Unverified) said

Yes, I've only recently started playing, but I'm finding it a very engaging game. The plans for "walking in stations" sound exciting -- I hope they get implemented. It would add tremendously to the game, in my opinion

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 7:15PM (Unverified) said

I attribute this spike to Hulkagedon and Drew's enlightening comments.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 7:19PM DrewIW said

I'm doing my best to scare carebears away, but it just doesn't work.

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 7:36PM DrewIW said

btw, still waiting for you to find a single suicide gank on my killboard. I mean, obviously enjoying that EVE is the only MMO with legitimate risk makes me a non-stop suicide ganker, right?

Posted: Jan 11th 2010 10:04PM (Unverified) said

you're morally corrupt and the reason why EVE is unplayable by some. In my opinion, it is ok to play a dangerous game, one based on PvP. It's another to defend exploits of the game in order to cause grief to new players.

I've never had a problem with suicide ganking. You have inspired me though to be more proactive in the game, to encourage CCP to give more power to the council as well as small changes such as insurance and a fix to station games in high sec.

I'm a carebare, and I enjoy Eve, and loosers like you will not scare me away.

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 9:17AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Seriously, the monthly updates on eve's concurrent connections is not news.

300k subscribers, a good chunk of which are macro miners and alts is just not impressive. Stop already.

You wouldnt tell us every time WoW got another 30k subscribers would you? How is this any different?

Posted: Jan 12th 2010 9:38AM ChromeBallz said

To put it into perspective: Any given WoW realm (which consists of 4 "nodes" plus instance and battleground servers shared with the battlegroup) can handle 2500 people before you get login queues.

This game has only one realm and manages to squeeze 26 *full* WoW realms worth of players in there. The reason Massively reports on it is because of the technical achievement of having everyone in the same game world. And no, it is not instanced, it is zoned, which is a significantly different thing. There is only one instance of any given area. You will never, ever have 2 Jita's just because the first one was full.

That, and last year EVE actually went down a lot in concurrent numbers because a hell of a lot of macro-miners and bots were banned. It took untill now (and probably the $5 steam thing indeed) to get it back up to scratch. While 20-30% of those logged in accounts may be by less players (someone logging in with 2 or more accounts), it's still a significant achievement. Darkfall can't handle more than 10k per realm, Aion (i believe, have to check) around 5 to 7k. Champions Online and Guild Wars *do* instance areas when there;s too many people in it, so they can't really be compared (let alone that they start instancing at 25 people or so apparently).

Posted: Jan 13th 2010 10:19AM (Unverified) said

I'm not saying it's not a feat, I'm saying that we were informed last week about this but the number was like 500 lower. I dont mind stories about eve, but I think most people dont give a crap about how many people are playing at the same time on one server. If they sharded like everyone else, maybe the lag would be more barable and as a side effect, each shard wouldnt be dominated by goons (even if I do love their videos)

Truth is, once you get to 0.0, it all feels pretty empty anyway.

Let me know when they get 50k players in jita, till then, shhh.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014